Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McShay has a Center going to the Chiefs in the First

Default McShay has a Center going to the Chiefs in the First

You know... it's not that I don't like the pick for the Chiefs... I just don't understand the logic if indeed a center was actually the pick in the first round. If I am a GM of a franchise, I am drafting a player in the first round that plays a position that REQUIRES investment. You can find a GOOD center later in the draft (See Rodney Hudson). The Chiefs have already proven that they are not willing to invest resources at that position or they would have paid Rodney Hudson. What happens in 4 years when this first round center has his rookie contract expire? What makes you think the Chiefs will pay THAT guy instead of the All-Pro center they just let walk?

I expect my first round picks to be franchise foundation pieces to build on long-term... not 4 year rentals at center that I'm just going to let walk. Good NFL Centers and OGs are always available in rounds 3-5. Hell, the Chiefs already got a Pro Bowl OG for a 5th rounder!

The Chiefs will find a RT in that same 3-5 range to compete with Stephenson, so that rules out OL in the first round, in my opinion. You can rule out QB, RB, NT, DE, & OLB in the first as well. So, we're left with DB, ILB, and WR. The only ILB worth taking in the first round COULD be Kendricks out of UCLA and McShay has him as only the 29th best player in the draft, which if we're going to go solely off his rankings, the Chiefs taking him at 18 would be WAY too high. They might be able to move down to get him, but it's tough to project those kinds of moves... AND this is Dorsey we're talking about here... not Peterson who fell in love with every UCLA player he ever saw. So, I think ILB is probably ruled out at this point as well.

That leaves us with WR and DB. If you listen to the pundits and all the pre-draft chatter, there seem to be a glut of WRs and DBs worth taking in the first round and we're just going to have to see how the draft plays out to see who the Chiefs have rated higher on their board when their pick comes up. If I were a betting man, my money would be on the best available DB with the Chiefs hoping DGB falls to them in the 2nd.

Eric Kendricks is the top ILB in the draft he is ranked their because of everyone else in the first He'll probably go in the first but it would be nice if he slipped into the second

A Center is most likely not happening in Round 1 for the Chiefs this year. They like Kush enough that they let Hudson walk. As I said elsewhere, a backup Center will most likely be drafted in later rounds.

However, I would never rule out an OLB with supreme pass-rush skills. If such a player is on the board when the Chiefs select & is the BPA and they can't trade down, then Dorsey will take such a player, as Hali is at the trail end of a long and productive career, and Justin Houston's status is still up in the air.

Yeah but let's be real how often do you find talent to replace guys like Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson I guarantee you that will be hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Yeah but let's be real how often do you find talent to replace guys like Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson I guarantee you that will be hard to do
    Well, they already drafted Dee Ford at #23 last year, with the plan of him being Hali's successor, so it's not like they won't try to find an eventual replacement for DJ.

That is some hellacious shoes to fill though im hopefull Dee works out. Is Johnson Better that Hali or the other way around i think they are even and will eventually be Hall of Famers

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Well, they already drafted Dee Ford at #23 last year, with the plan of him being Hali's successor, so it's not like they won't try to find an eventual replacement for DJ.
    I could see this scenario playing out. Do you take the 4th best WR in rd 1, or the #1 ranked ILB, or the #1 DB? It's possible they take a WR because while it may be the #4 receiver, it could be the top ranked 'Z' receiver. My gut says they look to replace either DJ or Sean Smith. Draft a guy they can coach for a year before throwing him to the wolves.

i mean i agree that center isn't the sexy pick. But Hudson was a 2nd round pick and if i remember correctly it was a fairly high 2nd round pick. I think that is far from being considered later in the draft. I think corner needs to be the pick.

Should've made that bet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Should've made that bet. lol
    So far you're half right, TC. If we snag DGB in the second...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast