Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: LSU T La'el Collins Bad Timing

Default LSU T La'el Collins Bad Timing

Police are requesting to speak with LSU offensive tackle La'el Collins after the shooting death of a pregnant woman last week, who is believed to be his former girlfriend, according to Baton Rouge police Lt. Jonny Dunnam. Collins is not considered a suspect, but police want to see if he can add any information to the case for background.

Collins' attorney, Jim Boren, told police he is currently in Chicago preparing for the NFL Draft on Thursday, but he has been in contact with the lead detective on the case. Boren said he retained the services of a private investigative firm to help prove Collins was not in area during the incident, according to ESPN.

"We took the investigation seriously," Boren said from his offices Tuesday. "We've tried to rule him out as a suspect. We're going to provide that information to the police, and ultimately (Collins) will sit down and talk to them. But the timing is poor.

"We have identified where La'el was the day the lady was murdered to establish he was nowhere around," Boren told ESPN. "We have offered to give names, witnesses who can vouch for his whereabouts that day until after the woman's body was discovered. We believe that when [police] have verified that information, that they will rule him out as a suspect in the homicide, just as I believe he should be."

Collins is projected as the third best tackle prospect in the upcoming NFL Draft. Senior NFL Columnist Pete Prisco has the Giants taking him at No. 9 overall and Senior NFL Draft Analyst Rob Rang has the Rams taking him at No. 10 overall in their latest mock drafts.

... and that's why he was worth a 7th round pick. 3 years for $1.65mil... THERE WAS ALMOST ZERO RISK HERE.... IT'S A 7TH ROUND PICK!!! To me, the fact that they weren't willing to risk a P.O.S. 7th round pick on a first round talent makes me want to drop their draft grade from a solid A to a C-. For a team that's desperately needing OLine help, to let a team like the Cowboys who has an entire OLine made of 1st round picks to get him is inexcusable.

Look at the value the Cowboys have gotten over the last couple years... good lord. smh. They are quickly running out of excuses. There is so much cheap talent on that team, it's unreal.

Collins said he wasn't even considering anyone else once the cowboys made him an off he wanted badly to be a cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    ... and that's why he was worth a 7th round pick. 3 years for $1.65mil... THERE WAS ALMOST ZERO RISK HERE.... IT'S A 7TH ROUND PICK!!! To me, the fact that they weren't willing to risk a P.O.S. 7th round pick on a first round talent makes me want to drop their draft grade from a solid A to a C-. For a team that's desperately needing OLine help, to let a team like the Cowboys who has an entire OLine made of 1st round picks to get him is inexcusable.

Look at the value the Cowboys have gotten over the last couple years... good lord. smh. They are quickly running out of excuses. There is so much cheap talent on that team, it's unreal.
    How do we know that the Chiefs didn't contact him & Collins told them "not interested"? What if the Chiefs had spent a 7th round draft pick on him & Collins refused to sign -- then what?

Also, I'm not so sure that the statement of "desperate for O-Line help" is quite accurate with the acquisitions of Grubbs and Fanaika, the drafting of Morse, the hopeful return of both Allen and Stephenson, and the 2nd year of development for LDT. A more accurate statement might be "desperate for improvement over last year".

BTW, our personal draft grades don't mean a whole lot. I personally gave the 2010 draft an F, but that didn't translate that way on the field in 2010, as they did make a fair showing that initial season. But, of course, that draft class went down the crapper very quickly & as of now has completely fallen by the wayside.

Ehh.......hope you were grading on a curve, TC...Because there were at least thirty other teams that passed on him, too...Or got rejected, as Brd pointed out.

While I agree, it was worth a shot to use a 7th round pick on him and we absoulutely should have, especially since all our draft picks may not make the roster. However, if he was drafted, he had the option of not signing and rejoining the draft next year. Because he went undrafted, he did not have the option of waiting until next year. He had to sign as an UDFA or not play.

The pay for UDFA is set in stone by the new CBA. The cowboys didnt get him cheap. At that point he basically had his choice of teams since salary wasnt a factor. Likely he was a cowgirls fan and wanted to play for them. Im surprised, though, that he didnt go for the Saints since he grew up in Baton Rouge. For an UDFA, he is actually expensive since his contract is fully guaranteed (not usually the case).

So, while I agree we missed out on an opportunity, it wasnt as cut and dry as you make it, and Im not going to downgrade us significantly for it.

Jap the only one that may not have a shot to make the team is 7th round we the rest will without a doubt

I could also see the TE not making the roster. There are currently 3 TEs on the roster (Kelce, Harris, Gordon), so he would have to beat one of the other guys out. Also, the DT/DE? Has to beat out a couple guys depending on if he is used as a NT or DE. If a DE, he has to beat a bunch of guys out to make the final cut. If he is a NT, he has a better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I could also see the TE not making the roster. There are currently 3 TEs on the roster (Kelce, Harris, Gordon), so he would have to beat one of the other guys out. Also, the DT/DE? Has to beat out a couple guys depending on if he is used as a NT or DE. If a DE, he has to beat a bunch of guys out to make the final cut. If he is a NT, he has a better chance.
    I'm not so sure that O'Shaunessy can't beat Gordon out of a roster spot. O'Shaunessy is a 250 lb. TE with 4.6 speed and he can catch the ball down the field. I predict that he will beat Gordon out of a roster spot.

You spend a 7th round pick on a guy with 1st round talent. Maybe you can sell him on the idea of playing for you, maybe you can't... either way, you hold a VERY valuable card that you happen to get for practically nothing.

If he decides he will not play for your organization, you allow his agent to go out and talk to other teams to work a trade. If he's vindicated, you've basically turned your 7th round pick into a first round pick that would be available to the highest bidder. You may not get a first round pick back, but the compensation would definitely be better than a 7th.

It was an extremely low-risk move to take him in the 7th. He could've still been a Cowboy... but right now, we'd be holding a couple of their picks for '16 or an OL that they felt was expendable to trade for Collins.

What should have happened was that the authorities should have waited until after the draft before coming to question Collins. The fact that he left Chicago and went back to Louisiana to meet with the authorities made all 32 teams push the panic button.

If he had been drafted, he could've refused to sign and would be eligible to re-enter the draft next year. That's why nobody took him.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678