Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chiefs sign 4 of the 9 picks

Default Chiefs sign 4 of the 9 picks

Center Mitch Morse, ILB Ramik Wilson, OLB D.J. Alexander and DE Roches

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    On the other/purely business side, I'm concerned with what happens if they keep him on the roster and pay him his full salary. This is the last year of his contract. If we keep him on the roster, is he a FA next offseason? If so, that raises HUGE questions. What do you pay someone who is probowl caliber, but hasn't been able to play in 2 seasons, and who knows what kind of condition he would be in?!? Do you offer him an extension, big player money, a "prove it" contract?
    None of the above. Let him walk and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    None of the above. Let him walk and move on.
    If our intention is to move on, then (from a purely business perspective) we should try to get out of owing him all of this year's money.

Ideally I would like us to work something out where we take this year's contact money and stretch it over two years (this and next). Gives us some salary cap room as well as a backup plan in case Parker regresses this year or didn't continue to improve and show he is worthy of the last few years of his contract (where he is being paid like a starter).

If our intention is to move on, then (from a purely business perspective) we should try to get out of owing him all of this year's money.
    Negative. Berry didn't ask for what happened to him. As an act of class, and to prove this is a first-class organization, pay him what he's due from his rookie contract & then you move on. He most likely won't play again. Football is not essential to his survival & he should have enough money set aside to be set for the rest of his life.

While I certainly see what jap1 is saying, I'm in agreement with brdempsey69. This isn't about the money. It's about doing the right thing. I also agree that Berry is unlikely to play again. 2 of my friends from when I was in college have both dealt with cancer in the last 2 years. And while both of them look as if they will survive it and are both back at work and seemingly doing well, it has taken a huge toll on them both. Based on what it has done to them both I find it hard to imagine that anyone could survive it and also come back to be able to play football at the pro level. Maybe Berry will but I think the odds are pretty slim. As to this being the last year of his contract...yeah...that part sucks as it does that we are going to take an $8 million plus cap hit in a year when he will probably never suit up, but if he does play again I'm sure it will be as a Chief. I'm sure he knows there were a lot of options for the Chiefs to keep his rights but still get out of paying him the full amount of his contract so if he is any kind of a decent person he will figure he just plain OWES the Chiefs. Not money...just loyalty.

I also think this was a good example for the other players. It has showed them just what kind of an organization they are playing for. It builds pride in the players and the organization and that's worth A LOT. $8 million in cap space isn't going to be the difference between making or not making the Super Bowl, but it could make some of our players play a little harder and be a little more loyal and that could prove to be worth more than $8 million in cap space.

If Berry has any good sense, he'll exercise the better part of valor, and hang up the cleats and go home for good. You can't recover overnight from months worth of having vicious chemicals pumped into your system. I know that firsthand. It'll take him a year to get over them & before his body chemistry returns to normal.

I'm not sure, but he may still be undergoing treatment & if he is, then forget about him returning to the playing field this year, if ever at all.

He owes it to himself to SURVIVE. He doesn't owe it, to anybody, to go back out on the football field.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-12-2015 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    If Berry has any good sense, he'll exercise the better part of valor, and hang up the cleats and go home for good. You can't recover overnight from months worth of having vicious chemicals pumped into your system. I know that firsthand. It'll take him a year to get over them & before his body chemistry returns to normal.

I'm not sure, but he may still be undergoing treatment & if he is, then forget about him returning to the playing field this year, if ever at all.

He owes it to himself to SURVIVE. He doesn't owe it, to anybody, to go back out on the football field.
    Sadly, I think you are 100% correct. I've seen what the "cure" does to people and while it may keep them alive and able to return to a "normal" lifestyle, in my limited experience I find it nearly impossible to imagine anybody going through the "cure" and returning to the NFL at any kind of meaningful level. I would LOVE to be proved an idiot but I think it is unlikely. His job now is to survive and take care of his family. The Chiefs have done "right" by Berry and if he can actually come back to football I am sure he'll do it as a Chief. But assuming he survives, the only time I expect to see him in uniform again will be at ceremonies at Arrowhead.

Chiefs signed WR Chris Conley $3.123 million with $712,346 signing bonus. That leaves Marcus Peters and Steven Nelson unsigned
    Last edited by Chiefs4life24; 05-13-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Ideally I would like us to work something out where we take this year's contact money and stretch it over two years (this and next). Gives us some salary cap room as well as a backup plan in case Parker regresses this year or didn't continue to improve and show he is worthy of the last few years of his contract (where he is being paid like a starter).
    This is such a Grey subject specially given the PR around it. I know a couple months ago, Dorsey said he was not sure about Berry's contract and that they were contacting the league. It is very possible the NFL may have given the Chiefs some relieve due to the nature of it being a Non Injury medical issue.

Also, it appears Berry and Houston are good friends, as Houston was showing Berry's number after every sack. They may be holding out on any news to prevent any additional hostility with Houston's contract until he signs or signs his Tag. Berry could be a June 1st cap cut, or may have reached some sort of settlement. Because of the PR, I would bet they are trying to keep this as private as possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12