Thread: Will it hurt them much or not??

Default Will it hurt them much or not??

Marcus Peters and Steven Nelson will both miss OTA's because of UW and OS graduations. D.J. Alexander already graduated so he is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Marcus Peters and Steven Nelson will both miss OTA's because of UW and OS graduations. D.J. Alexander already graduated so he is fine
    OTA's or This weekends Rookie Camp.

Kansas City Chiefs first round pick Marcus Peters and third round pick Steven Nelson can attend the Chiefs rookie minicamp this weekend but they won't be able to participate in the Chiefs OTAs due to their graduation dates.

It's an old school NFL rule that the Chiefs experienced last year with De'Anthony Thomas. Incoming rookies can't participate in offseason workouts (save the rookie minicamp) until their class graduates.

Most schools around the country are graduating around this week of May or earlier so they aren't affected. But some schools, such as Washington (Peters) and Oregon State (Nelson), don't graduate until mid-June.

That means they are expected to miss the following OTAs: May 26-28, June 2-4 and June 9-12. They should be able to participate in the mandatory minicamp June 16-18.

Nelson is one of two Oregon State players drafted by the Chiefs. The other, fifth round pick DJ Alexander, has already graduated so he's not affected by this.

Chiefs GM John Dorsey said after the draft that Peters will have "ample opportunity to get caught up to speed." Last year the Chiefs running backs coach worked with De'Anthony Thomas, who was affected by the same rule, over Skype to get up to speed. Chiefs coach Andy Reid said that assistant coach Al Harris will be helping Peters through it this year.

I wouldn't expect this rule to affect anything in the long run. It didn't seem to affect Andrew Luck a few years ago. He turned out OK, I guess.

It won't hurt them as much as it would have years ago. Due to the CBA there's a lot more limits on what teams can actually do during this time then what use to be. But I think anytime a rookie misses time it does hurt some.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!