Thread: De'Anthony Thomas is a WR now

Default De'Anthony Thomas is a WR now

full-time from RB to WR

Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL writer
    De'Anthony Thomas made the move from the running back room to the wide receiver room this offseason.

After spending his rookie season working with the Kansas City Chiefs' tailbacks in practice and meeting rooms, Thomas has spent his time this offseason with the receivers both on and off the field, ESPN's Adam Teicher reported.

The move is an acknowledgment of Thomas' limitations in the backfield.

"It makes me more valuable to the offense," he said. "It lets defenses look for me, see where I'm at on the field. It just gives them a different look. I believe it's a great thing."

Thomas played both spots last season. At 5-foot-8, 176-pounds he was a liability as a blocker and relegated to certain formations and gimmicks within the offense.

As a receiver, the Chiefs plan to utilize his speed in the secondary.

"You've got to respect his speed," 6-foot-3 corner Sean Smith said. "You don't want that kind of speed running by you. Me, personally, I'm a bigger guy. I have to get out there and bail a little early so routes like hitches and curls (are) big for him.

"Those little, short routes are going to be open all day."

In Gregg Rosenthal's analysis of the weakest offensive groups yesterday, he pegged the Chiefs' receiving corps as the worst unit in the NFL -- personally I'd disagree with that sentiment, but the argument is valid.

Moving Thomas around the formation should help open up the secondary. The tandem of Thomas and Albert Wilson -- who had a solid end of the season and should be the team's No. 2 wideout behind Jeremy Maclin -- gives the Chiefs needed speed on the outside.

Even with Alex Smith's tendency to play it safe with short throws, Kansas City's offense should be more diverse in 2015.

This is a good sign. Reid & Dorsey are determined to field a much different looking WR corps.

My only concern is if indeed he is a WR this year how many Receivers will we keep and who is the odd man out

He never really was a rb anyway.

DAT and Albert Wilson are the key to this teams offense this year IMO

They both showed some promise last year late in the year both didn't get on the field much early in the year.

If they are able to build on what they did then maybe finally we will see a offense that's not Bowe or bust or what now would be Maclin or bust. If neither can progress then I fear we wont see much different then last year. Which is a tad scary. But very hopeful they can. Really if just 1 of them is able to we will be in a much better spot along with Kelce.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I read today the chiefs have WR corp has been ranked the worst in the NFL this year

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I read today the chiefs have WR corp has been ranked the worst in the NFL this year
    Meah.....one writer says we have the worst WR corps in the NFL......another writer says we're the 4th best team in the NFL. None of it means more than a writer producing the required number of words per week so he get's his paycheck.

Most of the fans here on Chiefscrowd know more about the Chiefs than the scribblers do.

Hmmmmmm. DAT to WR.....interesting. Not sure if I love it or hate it. It seems to be part of an overall trend towards SPEED. Alex seems reluctant to throw deep unless a WR is pretty wide open. And that was never Bowe. Bowe was big and tough and could--sometimes--catch the ball in tough traffic. Maclin is not a huge difference from Bowe other than better hands. And perhaps more DESIRE. But MAYBE....just MAYBE Maclin and DAT could be a real good combo....send DAT deep and put Maclin on the 6-8 yard routes. A HUGE problem last year was no LEGITIMATE deep threat. This allowed enemy defenses to key on JC and short passes. Maybe DAT and Conley can give us a deep threat combo that will prevent enemy defenses from simply keying on the running game and short passing game? Complete a few bombs to DAT or Conley early in the season and we would have a whole new offense.

We don't have to RELY on the deep pass....but we MUST have a legitimate deep pass threat receiver just to keep enemy defenses honest. Maybe DAT and Conley with their BLAZING SPEED can give us that deep pass threat that will make the running game and tight end passing game work again. Just might maybe cover up the fact that our O-line still isn't as good as it needs to be.

I dunno....maybe I like the idea of DAT to WR. I see the logic behind it and I think it is sound. DAT and Conley running deep routes....Maclin and Kelce running short routes.....that could REALLY WORK!!!

MUST complete 3-4 DEEP passes in the first 2 games for it to work. Just have to establish that legitimate deep ball threat. Maybe DAT and Conley can do that. If they do we could have an AMAZING OFFENSE....an offense that could kill donkeys just for sport.

Yeah...I think I am starting to like this move.....
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 06-04-2015 at 04:59 AM.

I like this move. Regarding the ranking of the Chiefs receiving corps we need to be honest with ourselves. They have been the worst in the NFL for nearly as long as I can remember. Bowe was decent at times, but that is it. We have depended on TE's and RB's to catch the ball since the Priest Holmes days. This year's receiving corps has a chance to be much better, but time will tell.

I didn't know he was not considered a receiver. If he truly was not working with the receivers last year but with the running backs. Shame on Andy.