Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up with the 49ers?

Default What's up with the 49ers?

The reason I'm asking is it seems like starting with the Alex Smith trade, they have been in a steady decline. Consider this:

-HC Jim Harbaugh is gone.
    -Aldon Smith has been almost non-existent the past two seasons.
    -Justin Smith has retired.
    -Patrick Willis has retired.
    -Guard Mike Iupati has left via FA and went to Arizona
    -Guard Alex Boone is skipping voluntary practices.
    -The two 2nd round picks they got from KC (Tank Carradine and Carlos Hyde) are still unestablished.

And now -- Top 2010 draft pick, Tackle Anthony Davis (selected 11th overall), has decided to retire because of an injury suffered last season (he's only 25 years old).

I'm not saying that the Alex Smith trade is the reason for the sequence of events that transpired. Quite the contrary. My point is nobody saw this coming at the time the Alex Smith trade was made. The Niners really appear to be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I don't know but he is a 3 time pro bowler, this is definitely the most turnover in an off season I have ever seen in my life. It also makes a reputation for the team in Free Agency as well it could drive people away
    They did, in the 5th round. no point in paying a Punter more money down the road if you get a guy that can do the same for less. Also pro bowls doesn't mean anything (matt cassel was a pro bowler......)

It is rather interesting how the 49ers seem to be imploding. And certainly Kap doesn't seem to be wonderchild that many thought he was. It would really be a hoot if the 49ers collapsed and the Chiefs went on to win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    It is rather interesting how the 49ers seem to be imploding. And certainly Kap doesn't seem to be wonderchild that many thought he was. It would really be a hoot if the 49ers collapsed and the Chiefs went on to win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith. :)
    I have seen a few posts around the web stating that the 49ers traded the wrong guy. Time will tell, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I have seen a few posts around the web stating that the 49ers traded the wrong guy. Time will tell, of course.
    I'm not saying they did. And being honest, Kap *could be* the better QB of the two. But even if he is, that does not mean the 49ers can't go down the drain and the Chiefs win the Super Bowl with Smith. To me the 49ers certainly look like they are on the way down and the Chiefs seem headed in the right direction.

I'm not saying they did. And being honest, Kap *could be* the better QB of the two. But even if he is, that does not mean the 49ers can't go down the drain and the Chiefs win the Super Bowl with Smith. To me the 49ers certainly look like they are on the way down and the Chiefs seem headed in the right direction.
    It could be that what we may end up seeing is, that it'll prove that a QB alone can't carry a team, regardless of how good said QB is. It is shaping up that Smith may enjoy more success with the Chiefs in the coming years, than Kap will enjoy with the 49ers, just because of what's happening with the teams around them.

I always thought that Harbaugh going with Kap had more to do with team momentum and staying with the hot hand than anything. The bigger question is what's gone on in that locker room? If guys are split with whether they want to follow the new coach or get traded, that could really impact them this year. Their new HC has his work cut out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It could be that what we may end up seeing is, that it'll prove that a QB alone can't carry a team, regardless of how good said QB is. It is shaping up that Smith may enjoy more success with the Chiefs in the coming years, than Kap will enjoy with the 49ers, just because of what's happening with the teams around them.
    Got that right Demps.....You need only look at manning to see that. When the donks got him they were CERTAIN they had bought themselves a Super Bowl win or 3. And I think we all know now that unless the NFL gives them one giftwrapped on a platter they ain't going to get even one.

NFL football is a team sport. Without a doubt a true world-class QB can make up for a lot of weaknesses, but that QB alone can't win a Super Bowl by himself even with a mediocre to good team. It takes a lot more than just a great QB to win a Super Bowl. You won't win a SB with a crappy QB, but a superstar QB alone won't win you one either.

Will the Chiefs win a SB with Alex? I dunno. Of course, the odds are against it. But right now I'd say the Chiefs chances are better than the 49'ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    I always thought that Harbaugh going with Kap had more to do with team momentum and staying with the hot hand than anything. The bigger question is what's gone on in that locker room? If guys are split with whether they want to follow the new coach or get traded, that could really impact them this year. Their new HC has his work cut out for him.

That is for damn certain!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    That is for damn certain!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12