Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the 49ers?

Default What's up with the 49ers?

The reason I'm asking is it seems like starting with the Alex Smith trade, they have been in a steady decline. Consider this:

-HC Jim Harbaugh is gone.
    -Aldon Smith has been almost non-existent the past two seasons.
    -Justin Smith has retired.
    -Patrick Willis has retired.
    -Guard Mike Iupati has left via FA and went to Arizona
    -Guard Alex Boone is skipping voluntary practices.
    -The two 2nd round picks they got from KC (Tank Carradine and Carlos Hyde) are still unestablished.

And now -- Top 2010 draft pick, Tackle Anthony Davis (selected 11th overall), has decided to retire because of an injury suffered last season (he's only 25 years old).

I'm not saying that the Alex Smith trade is the reason for the sequence of events that transpired. Quite the contrary. My point is nobody saw this coming at the time the Alex Smith trade was made. The Niners really appear to be in trouble.

I think their GM tried to take control from the coach, and the fallout is ask the players "retiring." I wouldn't be surprised if some of these retirees would be sticking around if Harbaugh was still the coach. He seemed like a player's coach to me. It's one thing to be banged up and keep playing for a coach they love (see Hali). It's asking a lot more of a player to learn a new coach, and make those sacrifices for someone else.

Throw in the apparent infighting between coach and gm and it makes you think twice about sacrificing your health for an unstable organization.

I'm not sure how much the Alex Smith deal had to do with this. I heard Harbaugh really liked Kaep. So I don't think that was an example of the split between gm and hc, but who knows, maybe that was the beginning of their dispute.

Seeing that team fall from grace sure makes me glad Reid and Dorsey get along (or at least appear to).

It's a weird situation there. While I don't think the Alex Smith trade had any affect on what happened with Harbaugh, it's possible Alex Smith saw some of this coming down and wanted out. Going by what Deon Sanders said, Harbaugh lost control of the locker room. So instead of a HC/GM issue it might've been a HC/players issue with a really goofy front office trying to sort it out. But over the years Deon has said a LOT of things.

^^No doubt Dougster, that Alex Smith saw that the prospect of being a starter in KC for Andy Reid, was a much better prospect than being a backup under Jim Harbaugh. I can't help but wonder if there were multiple 49ers players that wondered what might have been, if Alex Smith had been the starting QB in that SB that they lost to the Ravens. I do know that in the post-season, Alex Smith is said to have a 109.8 QB rating with 9 TD's and 0 INT's.

I'm sure also that the Alex Smith trade isn't the reason for the 49ers downward spiral, but maybe Alex did detect that something wasn't right and it was time to go.

Maybe his trade was what started the rift between the HC/GM/Players. The players know if you are a starter and get hurt you should get your job back when you come back and not benched, none of us know for sure.

49ers Right Tackle Anthony Davis retired today and they traded Punter Andy Lee away for a 2017 7th round pick today as well

all Glen Dorsey's fault

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ^^No doubt Dougster, that Alex Smith saw that the prospect of being a starter in KC for Andy Reid, was a much better prospect than being a backup under Jim Harbaugh. I can't help but wonder if there were multiple 49ers players that wondered what might have been, if Alex Smith had been the starting QB in that SB that they lost to the Ravens. I do know that in the post-season, Alex Smith is said to have a 109.8 QB rating with 9 TD's and 0 INT's.

I'm sure also that the Alex Smith trade isn't the reason for the 49ers downward spiral, but maybe Alex did detect that something wasn't right and it was time to go.
    Granted, what I said was speculation and this is probably the bigger truth when it comes to Smith's viewpoint. The Ravens were a strong enough team, think SF would've still lost regardless of Kaepernick or Smith. As much as Harbaugh did make the team better, still think Reid is a better coach overall.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Maybe his trade was what started the rift between the HC/GM/Players. The players know if you are a starter and get hurt you should get your job back when you come back and not benched, none of us know for sure.
    That's possible. With a lot of veteran players that's a big issue, and wouldn't be surprised if the SF front office was catching flak from the player's union about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    49ers Right Tackle Anthony Davis retired today and they traded Punter Andy Lee away for a 2017 7th round pick today as well
    Thought they drafted a punter

I don't know but he is a 3 time pro bowler, this is definitely the most turnover in an off season I have ever seen in my life. It also makes a reputation for the team in Free Agency as well it could drive people away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast