Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Justin Houston Update

Default Justin Houston Update

A reliable source has tweeted me that the biggest hangup to Houston's new deal is Guaranteed money and average money per year. Think watt money

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    There are a couple misunderstandings regarding how the contracts affect our cap space here.

First, there is a difference between a signing bonus and guaranteed money. A signing bonus is exactly what it sounds like. When you sign the contract, you get a check for that much money immediately. The effect on the cap is spread out, though. So a $10 mil signing bonus on a 5 year contract means that it will affect the cap at the rate of $2 mil per year.
    Thank you! I learned something new today so it's a good day!

Guaranteed money is not all paid up front. It is the money that he received as a signing bonus PLUS the other money guaranteed over the course of the contract. Thus number will vary every year, but he doesn't receive it all at once, unless he is cut. At that point, any money that was guaranteed and has not yet been paid becomes immediately due, and I believe all counts as dead money for this year. Sometimes a contract can be worth "$XXX mil" but have very little guaranteed because most of the money is tied up in bonuses based on performance, attending workouts, etc, etc. All the guaranteed money in a specific year goes against the salary cap. The non-guaranteed (bonus) money counts against the cap only if that performance condition is met. If he doesn't meet the requirement, or is cut, there is NO effect on the cap.
    This part I knew.

Here is a link to Watt's contract including a year to year breakdown of the contract amounts and cap hits:
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/j.j.-watt/

(I'm not sure why his cap hit/contract ed so low In the first year)
    I just don't see why if what Houston really wants is a contract along the lines of what Watt got then why we can't seem to get it done. Seems to me we should be able to structure a contract like the one linked above and get rid of the distraction being caused by this whole thing. Structure the contract so that he get franchise tag money this year and next and bigger money later that cap increases would cover.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 06-14-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    This does make sense, but my question is this...Does that mean he can hold out 10 games next year, as well? Unless he figures out a way to get 4 sacks in the six remaining games he plays...Which don't get me wrong I'd love to see him get, but don't see it happening...

If jap1's link is correct, and those are the ballpark numbers the team has to come in with, even with next year's cap relief would we STILL have the $$'s? Keep in my Dontari Poe's contract is coming up and don't think for a second he'll be cheap, either.
    The contracts that are up next year are my concern. I wonder how much Houston's ability to get sacks is his own skill (which is undoubtedly a factor) and how much is the offense has to account for hali, Poe, et al. I don't want to sign Houston to a contract that ties our hands.

Cause god knows Poe will want top 5 money

The contracts that are up next year are my concern. I wonder how much Houston's ability to get sacks is his own skill (which is undoubtedly a factor) and how much is the offense has to account for hali, Poe, et al. I don't want to sign Houston to a contract that ties our hands.
    That's a good point. I've said more than once that without Hali, Houston would not look half as good. It's a team game and you need multiple points of attack for the pass rush to be successful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12