Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evan Mathis

Default Evan Mathis

Reports are Chiefs are 1 of 4 teams in play for Former Eagles Guard Evan Mathis, the other 3 are Indianapolis, Miami and San Fransisco. Pro Football Focus rated him as the #1 guard last season

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Reports are Chiefs are 1 of 4 teams in play for Former Eagles Guard Evan Mathis, the other 3 are Indianapolis, Miami and San Fransisco. Pro Football Focus rated him as the #1 guard last season
    Well they have room for one on their roster. I don't know much about him, but it is a spot we need. I would take it easily.

If we can scrape up the cap space I think getting him would be a good move. Anything that helps the O-line would be a good move.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 06-16-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Easy dump chase daniels and pick this guy ul. Daniels is overrated and over paid anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Easy dump chase daniels and pick this guy ul. Daniels is overrated and over paid anyways.
    If I can believe what I read on the net.... http://overthecap.com/player/evan-mathis/748/ Mathis was slated to make $6.5 million this year and $7 million next year. So cutting Chase Daniel ($4.8 million) would not cover Mathis as from what I understand Mathis requested to be released because Philthy wouldn't renegotiate his contract for more money. http://overthecap.com/player/chase-daniel/834

Cutting Daniel would be a risky move. What if Alex Smith went down in week 1???? Do we have a QB who can step in???? Only the red walrus knows the answer to that. Sure as hell I don't.

That said, I think it might be a risk worth taking. Getting Mathis should give Smith better protection and lessen the chances of his getting hurt. And Smith has proved pretty durable in his 2 years with the Chiefs. So if either Bray or Murray is anywhere near ready to step up then losing Daniel to get Mathis might be an acceptable risk/reward equation.

But I will have to trust Reid-Dorsey on this one. They surely know better than I do if either Bray or Murray can be a satisfactory #2 QB.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    I am sure the Chiefs can structure his contract without having to dump Daniel... I am not really worried about losing a back up QB over a starting Guard seeing how many are currently on our roster but how much of an upgrade will he make VS the drop off at QB.

I am not really sure what you are basing your opinion as far as over rated with Daniel as he has only played two games, and did fairly decent in those games. He is just a back up so I don't believe he is highly over rated or he would be starting. He is a bit over paid for, but clearly a price the Chiefs feel is a need or they would have made the move already. It may be a move the Chiefs make later on depending on a healthy Aaron Murray specially with his old teammate Chris Conley to through to.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I am sure the Chiefs can structure his contract without having to dump Daniel... I am not really worried about losing a back up QB over a starting Guard seeing how many are currently on our roster but how much of an upgrade will he make VS the drop off at QB.

I am not really sure what you are basing your opinion as far as over rated with Daniel as he has only played two games, and did fairly decent in those games. He is just a back up so I don't believe he is highly over rated or he would be starting. He is a bit over paid for, but clearly a price the Chiefs feel is a need or they would have made the move already. It may be a move the Chiefs make later on depending on a healthy Aaron Murray specially with his old teammate Chris Conley to through to.

Im basing it off of alpt of people around here overhype him cuz he played college by here and they think ues so great. And he is overpaid. There was some wanting him to start over alex smith. Plus why was he wo sought after when we got him from the saints qhen he hasnt done much anyways. His overpaid shows how overhyped he is or else he wouldn't be paid so much as a back up.

All of the reports I have read have him going to the donkeys raiders dolphins buccaneers or colts. I havnt seen one mention kc

Straight from ESPN

In a mailbag item at ESPN, John Clayton says that there are "four main teams" looking into free agent guard Evan Mathis, who was cut last week by the Philadelphia Eagles, including the Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers and ... Kansas City Chiefs.

Andy Reid signed Mathis as one of the 2011 "Dream Team" players for the Eagles so it's easy to see how you make the connection to the Chiefs.

Would the Chiefs really make a run at him? I can't speak to the specific scheme fits but I can look at what the Chiefs have done at guard already. They traded a fifth round pick for Ben Grubbs and re-worked his contract. They signed Paul Fanaika to a three-year, $8 million free agent contract. They still have 2014 starter Zach Fulton on the roster while another draft pick, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, remains an option. I'm this far into the Chiefs guards and I haven't even mentioned Jeff Allen, who might be the best option on the right side.

So I look at all of those moves at guard and I can't figure out how the Chiefs, who have less than $400,000 in salary cap space, would make a run at Mathis. Maybe they didn't expect Mathis to be available and now they want him? Maybe. Or maybe they're not serious about him. I don't know but on the surface I'm leaning towards probably not here.

.[/QUOTE]I would agree with that. especially since Philly has been rumored to have been trying to trade Mathis for months now. I would not mind if they did sign him but I doubt they doo
    Last edited by slc chief; 06-17-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast