Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evan Mathis

Default Evan Mathis

Reports are Chiefs are 1 of 4 teams in play for Former Eagles Guard Evan Mathis, the other 3 are Indianapolis, Miami and San Fransisco. Pro Football Focus rated him as the #1 guard last season

I would immediately make him the Right Guard sorry to the other but they aren't on his level right now not even close. Their are ways to get around the cap issue

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Straight from ESPN

In a mailbag item at ESPN, John Clayton says that there are "four main teams" looking into free agent guard Evan Mathis, who was cut last week by the Philadelphia Eagles, including the Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers and ... Kansas City Chiefs.

Andy Reid signed Mathis as one of the 2011 "Dream Team" players for the Eagles so it's easy to see how you make the connection to the Chiefs.

Would the Chiefs really make a run at him? I can't speak to the specific scheme fits but I can look at what the Chiefs have done at guard already. They traded a fifth round pick for Ben Grubbs and re-worked his contract. They signed Paul Fanaika to a three-year, $8 million free agent contract. They still have 2014 starter Zach Fulton on the roster while another draft pick, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, remains an option. I'm this far into the Chiefs guards and I haven't even mentioned Jeff Allen, who might be the best option on the right side.

So I look at all of those moves at guard and I can't figure out how the Chiefs, who have less than $400,000 in salary cap space, would make a run at Mathis. Maybe they didn't expect Mathis to be available and now they want him? Maybe. Or maybe they're not serious about him. I don't know but on the surface I'm leaning towards probably not here.
    Dorsey isn't sitting still for a second. This is going to one very, very competitive camp, especially on the O-line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12