Thread: JC feels more comfortable with the O-line (PFT)

Default JC feels more comfortable with the O-line (PFT)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ffensive-line/

Jamaal Charles feels “a lot more comfortable” with offensive line

Posted by Josh Alper on June 15, 2015, 7:22 AM EDT
    Getty Images
    In April, Chiefs running back Jamaal Charlessaid that he “definitely” wanted the Chiefs toaddress their offensive line in the draft because of how “crucial” blockers are to his ability to succeed.
    The Chiefs drafted center Mitch Morse in the second round, but didn’t otherwise load up on offensive linemen during the process. That left them with largely the same line as they had when Charles said he was looking for upgrades, but the running back is singing a different tune after practicing with them in the offseason program.
    He said that his frustration with last year’s performance was focused on being banged up physically throughout the season and that he’s confident in the line’s ability to open holes this year.
    “I just feel comfortable because I feel like I have a Pro Bowl guard [Ben Grubbs] in front of me and I’ve got Jeff [Allen] back and we went to the playoffs with him,” Charles said, via the Kansas City Star. “We’ve got Fish [Eric Fisher] who is developing more in his third year, we’ve got Donald [Stephenson] and he played a whole season and did a great job when Branden [Albert] and Fish were going at it and battling for depth at the position. I feel like we’ve got some guys that have been playing for a while. We’ve got vet guys up there that can help the young guys. I feel so comfortable with that line now. Not saying I didn’t last year, but I feel a lot more comfortable than I did last year.”
    Allen missed all but one game with an elbow injury while Stephenson was suspended for four games at the start of last season, so having both for 16 games should provide Kansas City with better production up front. It could also keep Charles healthier as he heads down a path he hopes will last for six more seasons, which would make for a lot less frustration than Charles and the Chiefs experienced last season.

The Chiefs drafted center Mitch Morse in the second round, but didn’t otherwise load up on offensive linemen during the process. That left them with largely the same line as they had when Charles said he was looking for upgrades, but the running back is singing a different tune after practicing with them in the offseason program.

They had signed Fanaika and traded for Grubbs prior to the draft, so they weren't going to 'load up' on the O-Line with their draft picks. The 2nd reason for that is listed below.

Allen missed all but one game with an elbow injury while Stephenson was suspended for four games at the start of last season
    Not saying that either of these guys are stars, but they were being counted on heavily to be starters last year, and instead were relegated to a season-long sideline view. Which, of course, didn't help matters any regarding the Chiefs O-Line.

Way too soon to judge how the o-line will perform this year, good or bad, based only on preseason camps.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post

They had signed Fanaika and traded for Grubbs prior to the draft, so they weren't going to 'load up' on the O-Line with their draft picks. The 2nd reason for that is listed below.

Not saying that either of these guys are stars, but they were being counted on heavily to be starters last year, and instead were relegated to a season-long sideline view. Which, of course, didn't help matters any regarding the Chiefs O-Line.
    Very true. Hopefully we'll get both of them (Allen and Stephenson) back in top shape for a full season. Do agree with Chiefster that preseason is going to be the better insight of how good the O-line is, or who's going to be in the starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Very true. Hopefully we'll get both of them (Allen and Stephenson) back in top shape for a full season. Do agree with Chiefster that preseason is going to be the better insight of how good the O-line is, or who's going to be in the starting lineup.
    They have 6 players that they didn't have last year (Sherrod, Grubbs, Allen, Stephenson, Fanaika, and Morse), so there will be a makeover from last year. Whether there is improvement or not, remains to be seen. I just hope that they play well enough that Alex becomes just as confident as Charles says he is.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    They have 6 players that they didn't have last year (Sherrod, Grubbs, Allen, Stephenson, Fanaika, and Morse), so there will be a makeover from last year. Whether there is improvement or not, remains to be seen. I just hope that they play well enough that Alex becomes just as confident as Charles says he is.
    Definitely. From a GM's standpoint the O-line didn't get ignored. If we all of a sudden go from a team that runs well going from side to side (much like we did in '13) to getting JC and Davis running straight ahead forcing opposing teams' linebackers and safeties to be the main tacklers, that'll be a really good statement that we've fixed the issues at guard & center.