Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Alex a Genius?

Default Is Alex a Genius?

think about it...

he has only been efficient because hes never had anyone to throw the long ball to?

a game manager means he is dealing with the tools provided.

is it possible were he in a donkey uniform the last two years he would have eclipsed 4000 yards?

i think we underestimate alex.

if he had the same teams as say peyton or brees, he would put up the same numbers.
    Originally from Tonganoxie, KS.

Happily married in Australia!!

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Is 4000 a year even that impressive anymore with today's soft league 5000 is the new 4000 .12 guys threw for 4k yards last year. If alex does throw for that much I would be CONCERNED because our bread and butter should be our run game and our top 5 defense
    You make some good points. Ever since Manning did 5,000 in a season now everybody expects AT LEAST 4,000 in a season. But just because I am mean and ornery I say that is all crap. Big passing yards are great to have, but wins are better.

The name of the game is BALANCE! What you want is a strong rushing attack, a strong short passing game, a strong 8-12 yard passing game and a long passing game that at least keeps enemy defenses HONEST. With that combination and a strong defense you win playoff games and maybe Super Bowls. We have most of what we need....rushing and defense. What remains to be seen is if we have the receivers and O-line to give us an effective multi-dimensional passing game.

I'm not sure we are there yet but I think that Reid-Dorsey is getting us closer and closer every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Again, a lot of this can be cured by cutting down on the drops. If we can get our recievers to cut the drops by a half, there's no reason we can't average 17 yards more per ball game. That's just yards, not to mention the first downs or scores acquired as a result. 3600-3800 yards by no means is a great benchmark or accomplishment these days, but for the style of game Smith plays, think it's very doable.
    EXACTLY! 3600-3800 yards passing per season is 225 to 238 yards per game average over the course of a 16 game season. Throw in 80 yards (or close) per game from JC and a few yards from Knile Davis and you have 325 to 365 yards per game. Add in special teams and a killer defense and you're going to win a boatload of games.

IMO we are close....VERY CLOSE....Only question mark now is O-line. Mr. Fisher....PLEASE STEP UP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    EXACTLY! 3600-3800 yards passing per season is 225 to 238 yards per game average over the course of a 16 game season. Throw in 80 yards (or close) per game from JC and a few yards from Knile Davis and you have 325 to 365 yards per game. Add in special teams and a killer defense and you're going to win a boatload of games.

IMO we are close....VERY CLOSE....Only question mark now is O-line. Mr. Fisher....PLEASE STEP UP!!!!
    Now that sounds like a winning recipe. The only thing I would like to see differant from our passing game is the receivers actually being reliable. And for smith to take a couple of shots so defenses have to respect our mid and long range throws. I really think this defense is going to be something special this year.

I also think maclins yac yards are going to help this passing game tremendously. He had 1300 last season only a handful of other receivers did better in that department

our lbs worry me even with DJ. he's a good run stuffer but he gets burned on the pass.
    . don't think maugua is a starter either.

We have 3 all pro caliber lb's I am not that concerned plus dj has got to be nice and refreshed after missing last season

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Now that sounds like a winning recipe. The only thing I would like to see differant from our passing game is the receivers actually being reliable. And for smith to take a couple of shots so defenses have to respect our mid and long range throws. I really think this defense is going to be something special this year.
    You have hit the nail EXACTLY on the head! An offense led by Alex is never going to live or die by the pass. An offense led by Alex needs BALANCE. 100-120 yards per game on the ground from JC and Knile. 225-235 in the air from Alex. So 325-365 yards of offense per game. That will win a lot of games. Especially with our Toub-led special teams. But to accomplish that you can't rely on JC and 0-3 yard beyond the LOS passes. You have to have a good 6-10 beyond the LOS passing game and you MUST air the ball out at least enough to force the enemy to at least cover the long ball.

We have the potential to have a very strong offense this year. Only question is Fisher and the O-line. Our defense should be KILLER....if Houston plays before week 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty chief View Post
    our lbs worry me even with DJ. he's a good run stuffer but he gets burned on the pass.
    I always thought DJ was really good in pass coverage. That is part of the reason why we kept getting beat on crossing routes.

i only seen him get burned by Manning. we have got a find a way to split the series with the donkeys. if not a slim chance to even get wildcard at best

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty chief View Post
    The only issue DJ has with getting burned on passes is the number of interceptions he has dropped over the years. DJ is solid in pass coverage. I would tend to direct you to the Safety if you think DJ got burned.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast