Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Alex a Genius?

Default Is Alex a Genius?

think about it...

he has only been efficient because hes never had anyone to throw the long ball to?

a game manager means he is dealing with the tools provided.

is it possible were he in a donkey uniform the last two years he would have eclipsed 4000 yards?

i think we underestimate alex.

if he had the same teams as say peyton or brees, he would put up the same numbers.
    Originally from Tonganoxie, KS.

Happily married in Australia!!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Pretty much agree here.

Alex would put up somewhat better numbers with those teams I would say I think he would have had a WR with a TD not throwing to the likes of AJ Jenkins and Frankie Hammonds outside of there number 1. But I don't think he would come close to having the Manning or Brees numbers. He just doesn't have that aggersion.
    Donnie Avery didn't make that list ??

While I don't think that Alex Smith will ever be a 4000yd a season QB, do think that he can be a consistent 3600yd a season QB with the right supporting cast. Most of those 4000+ yd season QB's are in that club because of their quick release. Two steps and that ball is gone, for better or for worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post

While I don't think that Alex Smith will ever be a 4000yd a season QB, do think that he can be a consistent 3600yd a season QB with the right supporting cast. Most of those 4000+ yd season QB's are in that club because of their quick release. Two steps and that ball is gone, for better or for worse.
    Avery missed most of last season that's why I didn't include him for most of the year starting the other side of Bowe was Aj Jenkins or Frankie hammond. Until Wilson and DAT started seeing more time late in the year and they brought in Avant
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

hopefully we can resign Avery for a cheaper price. dudes a burner. ill always remember that bomb Smith threw to him in our playoff debacle. he really just had one bad season.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty chief View Post
    hopefully we can resign Avery for a cheaper price. dudes a burner. ill always remember that bomb Smith threw to him in our playoff debacle. he really just had one bad season.
    I'm not even sure you can really say it was "bad" he was just hurt. If he signs for cheap hell yeah any help at WR is good help. We still don't have a lot of proven talent there. But we have some young guys that have a lot of potential for sure. FINALLY starting to see them really trying to build talent on offense.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Eh, after his performance in the Titans game, and all the drops in a lot of others...I'd pass on re-signing Avery, at any price.

I like Alex. He is doing only what he is asked and expected to. He proved that he can put the game on his shoulders when needed as he has done for both San Fran and KC in the play offs. He does need help at WR.

However, to think if he played for Denver he would be much better is looking at the wrong variable to me. I hadn't even heard of some of the receivers Denver had until Manning got there. They have since lost some of those receivers to big contracts only to have those guys drop off in production and someone else steps up.

Emmanuel Sanders wasn't a top free agent. He was a guy that was handy, he goes to Denver and basically explodes with Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post

An interesting point about whether Alex can be a 4,000 yards per year QB.

I don't think there is any chance he could do it year in and year out. It's not his style and it not really our offensive game plan under Reid. That said, if we got the "perfect storm" of a great O-line, some great receivers and had JC burning things up I think Alex might be able to crack 4,000 in one season. But it would have to be a season where EVERYTHING went "just right".

But I agree that with the right support Alex could be a consistent 3600-3800 yards per season QB. That's 225-237 yards per game. We should keep in mind that Alex has never played a full 16 game regular season for us. He was out on week 17 both years. In 2013 Alex averaged 220.8 yards per game. In 2014 he averaged 217.66. Based on those averages, if he had played 16 games in 2013 he'd have had 3532 yards and in 2014 he'd have had 3482. When you look at those numbers it becomes very easy to see Alex having consistent 3600 yard seasons if he plays 16 games. And in 2014 he'd have only needed to average an extra 16.75 yards per game to hit 3800 yards for the season.

In addition to Alex never having played 16 games for us, we need to remember that his 2 best seasons ever have both come with the Chiefs (3313 yards in 2013 and 3265 yards in 2014). His 3rd best year was 3144 yards in 2011 when he played 16 games. His average yards per game since coming to KC has been 22.8 yards MORE PER GAME than his best season in San Fran in any season when he had more than 11 games.

So yeah....Alex can be a consistent 3600 to 3800 yards per season QB if he plays all 16 games. And if a QB is consistently throwing for 3600 to 3800 yards per season it's not much of a stretch to say that he *could* have a great season and break 4,000 yards.

If Fisher picks it up in a big way this year and the rest of the O-line does noticeably better than last year and Maclin proves substantially better than Bowe I can easily see Alex having a 3800 yard season in 2015 and that's in a year when I think we can all agree it looks like we have a very tough schedule.

I think Alex is going to surprise us all and turn out to be a much better QB than any of us expected.

Is 4000 a year even that impressive anymore with today's soft league 5000 is the new 4000 .12 guys threw for 4k yards last year. If alex does throw for that much I would be CONCERNED because our bread and butter should be our run game and our top 5 defense

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    An interesting point about whether Alex can be a 4,000 yards per year QB.

I don't think there is any chance he could do it year in and year out. It's not his style and it not really our offensive game plan under Reid. That said, if we got the "perfect storm" of a great O-line, some great receivers and had JC burning things up I think Alex might be able to crack 4,000 in one season. But it would have to be a season where EVERYTHING went "just right".

But I agree that with the right support Alex could be a consistent 3600-3800 yards per season QB. That's 225-237 yards per game. We should keep in mind that Alex has never played a full 16 game regular season for us. He was out on week 17 both years. In 2013 Alex averaged 220.8 yards per game. In 2014 he averaged 217.66. Based on those averages, if he had played 16 games in 2013 he'd have had 3532 yards and in 2014 he'd have had 3482. When you look at those numbers it becomes very easy to see Alex having consistent 3600 yard seasons if he plays 16 games. And in 2014 he'd have only needed to average an extra 16.75 yards per game to hit 3800 yards for the season.

In addition to Alex never having played 16 games for us, we need to remember that his 2 best seasons ever have both come with the Chiefs (3313 yards in 2013 and 3265 yards in 2014). His 3rd best year was 3144 yards in 2011 when he played 16 games. His average yards per game since coming to KC has been 22.8 yards MORE PER GAME than his best season in San Fran in any season when he had more than 11 games.

So yeah....Alex can be a consistent 3600 to 3800 yards per season QB if he plays all 16 games. And if a QB is consistently throwing for 3600 to 3800 yards per season it's not much of a stretch to say that he *could* have a great season and break 4,000 yards.

If Fisher picks it up in a big way this year and the rest of the O-line does noticeably better than last year and Maclin proves substantially better than Bowe I can easily see Alex having a 3800 yard season in 2015 and that's in a year when I think we can all agree it looks like we have a very tough schedule.

I think Alex is going to surprise us all and turn out to be a much better QB than any of us expected.
    Again, a lot of this can be cured by cutting down on the drops. If we can get our recievers to cut the drops by a half, there's no reason we can't average 17 yards more per ball game. That's just yards, not to mention the first downs or scores acquired as a result. 3600-3800 yards by no means is a great benchmark or accomplishment these days, but for the style of game Smith plays, think it's very doable.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Is 4000 a year even that impressive anymore with today's soft league 5000 is the new 4000 .12 guys threw for 4k yards last year. If alex does throw for that much I would be CONCERNED because our bread and butter should be our run game and our top 5 defense
    Agree

If Alex is throwing for a bunch of yards that to me will mean 1 of 2 things.

1. We were behind a lot in a lot of games
    2. Reid got all pass happy which has been really bad for the offense.

But if he's putting up that many yards and we are scoring I won't be to upset
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast