Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Royals vs. Chiefs

Default Royals vs. Chiefs

You want to know why the Royals have built an organization that is a 'legitimate' contender to win championships?
    Well, it's because they have a regime that not only understands the most essential elements to success, but also acts upon it.

It's pitching/defense:

1. A starting rotation that logs innings.
    2. A bullpen that shuts the door in late innings and shortens the game.
    3. An athletic defense that catches the ball and saves runs.

This is the aspect of the game where the Royals can't afford to be content with mediocrity. Of course there is no blueprint to a championship, and nothing is ever guaranteed, but this maximizes their chances.

In football, the most essential element is the play/ability of the QB, and to a slightly lesser extent, the philosophy of the head coach (which is, in large part, dependent on the skill/ability of the QB).

Of course baseball and football are vastly different sports, but the principle of placing the highest priority on the quintessentials (respective to their particular sport/league) is very similar.

To put it bluntly, the Royals are where they are because they've focused their efforts there, while the Chiefs have not ..... and continue not to.

My love and passion for both teams, and both sports, is as equal as can possibly be.
    But until the Chiefs do away with the philosophy of being content with mediocrity at the most important aspect of the game, I can't take them as a serious threat to bring a championship to KC.

Hope/Optimism is one thing -- Expectation is another.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 07-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Smith has been disparagingly referred to as a "game manager". My take is that we finally have a QB that knows what to do with the ball; I see him as the kind of QB the Chiefs need. Also, not to diminish at all the importance of the QB position, after all it is referred to as the Field General for a reason, but he's not out there all by himself; the team he leads must also do their jobs. However, that is simply my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Until the all star game last year. The Royals were a joke.
    Again, the Royals won 86 games in 2013. They were 48-46 at the break in 2014, finished 41-27, and made it to game 7 of the World Series. That's far from a "joke" ........

My point is also that the Chiefs have more history and despite your Anti Alex Smith errr Chiefs. They have yet to even practice this year and you are already considering them down.
    History of what? Who cares about what the Chiefs did in the 90's? If that's the case, the Royals have history too. You're deflecting.

The Royals are beating up on very poor teams and playing 500 against good team.
    The Royals are playing the same teams that everyone else is playing, and they've managed the best record in the A.L. Half the series that they've played this year are vs. winning teams. You don't get 20 games over .500 after 90 games by not beating good teams consistently.

I like em both.
    LOL, well duh. So do I. Has nothing to do with the point. Still deflecting.

There was a point where the Chiefs were the better franchise. They're not anymore. Simple as that.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I don't waste my time or effort playing devils advocate. I don't have time for it. Nor did I say the Chiefs had a better organization than the Royals.
    If you don't hold the position that the Chiefs are the better organization, then what are we arguing?

Ray is clearly a band wagaon fan.
    Die hard fan of both teams since the early 80's.

All irrelevant to the point at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    The real numbers that count are the W's in the win column.
    Sorry, wins are a TEAM stat, TEAM accomplishment.

What I find interesting is that the same people who trumpet the idea that Alex Smith wins games, are the same people who claim that his supporting cast is inadequate. I guess he's just that good, right?

The Niners have went on downward spiral since Alex's departure from them.
    The 49ers have the exact same record that the Chiefs have over the past 2 seasons (20-12), except the 49ers won playoff games and even made it to a conference championship game. Alex Smith was NOT the difference with that team. Like everything else, I don't say that to down Alex Smith. I say that to be objective and realistic - though I appreciate your homerism.

What round was this guy drafted in by the Chiefs?

Attachment 746
    No round. He wasn't drafted by the Chiefs. Are we left to hope that the next Len Dawson is sitting on someone else's bench? Are we left to hope that team will let him go? Depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    If you don't hold the position that the Chiefs are the better organization, then what are we arguing?
    My point is not that the Chiefs have a better organization. My point is that the Royals have yet to prove your contention. IMO the Chiefs have a better organization but I can't prove that any more than you can prove the Royals do. Only time will tell.

Had you made the same claim at the end of 2013 you would have been laughed out of here. Your entire claim is based on 2014 and 1 successful year (in fact a successful half season) does not an organization make.

As I have said before, come back and say this nonsense when the Royals have made a big splash for 3 straight years. The Royals had a GREAT season last year. But one good season does not prove a great organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Smith has been disparagingly referred to as a "game manager". My take is that we finally have a QB that knows what to do with the ball; I see him as the kind of QB the Chiefs need. Also, not to diminish at all the importance of the QB position, after all it is referred to as the Field General for a reason, but he's not out there all by himself; the team he leads must also do their jobs. However, that is simply my opinion.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

It's been my thing for a number of years. This is not a team that has had a QB problem this has been a team that has lacked talent on the offensive side of the ball PERIOD. (YES THAT INCLUDES THE QB SPOT THE QB PLAYS ON OFFENSE) They are finally looking to improve that talent. Lets hope they are on the right track with some of the young guys
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The royals will get to 90 wins this year I'm sure of it. Their hasn't been a lot to cheer for from either team until here recently

[QUOTE=ctchiefsfan;311002]If Alex gets time and has receivers that are any better than 3rd rate he will consistently be in or close to "Top Ten".[/QUOTlE]

The delusion is strong here.

Alex Smith has been "running for his life" and throwing to "3rd rate receivers" his entire career. The poor fella has been the unfortunate victim of bad luck for his entire 10 year career. It's his supporting cast that makes him so mediocre, I guess.

Ironically enough, the 2 years he's been in KC have been the most productive of his entire career. Those guys in San Francisco must've been absolutely atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    My point is that the Royals have yet to prove your contention.
    1st thing you have understand is that it doesn't take a whole lot to top the Chiefs. It's not as if I'm championing the Royals as the Bulls of the 90's. The Royals have been on a steady incline for the last 3-4 seasons. The Chiefs have been, well ..... the same ole Chiefs for the last decade

I made a bet with a buddy of mine about 5 years ago. I bet that the Royals would win a post-season series before the Chiefs won another playoff game. Guess what? I won.

IMO the Chiefs have a better organization but I can't prove that any more than you can prove the Royals do.
    We're not in a court of law. Nothing has to be proven. It's your opinion vs. mine. All you have to do is be able to back it up with logic, reason and results. Unfortunately for you, you can't.

Had you made the same claim at the end of 2013 you would have been laughed out of here.
    But it's 2015, and I'm making the claim as of now.

It all goes back to a basic premise - It doesn't take much to top what the Chiefs have done in recent history. Let that sink in for a minute.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 07-21-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast