Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Royals vs. Chiefs

Default Royals vs. Chiefs

You want to know why the Royals have built an organization that is a 'legitimate' contender to win championships?
    Well, it's because they have a regime that not only understands the most essential elements to success, but also acts upon it.

It's pitching/defense:

1. A starting rotation that logs innings.
    2. A bullpen that shuts the door in late innings and shortens the game.
    3. An athletic defense that catches the ball and saves runs.

This is the aspect of the game where the Royals can't afford to be content with mediocrity. Of course there is no blueprint to a championship, and nothing is ever guaranteed, but this maximizes their chances.

In football, the most essential element is the play/ability of the QB, and to a slightly lesser extent, the philosophy of the head coach (which is, in large part, dependent on the skill/ability of the QB).

Of course baseball and football are vastly different sports, but the principle of placing the highest priority on the quintessentials (respective to their particular sport/league) is very similar.

To put it bluntly, the Royals are where they are because they've focused their efforts there, while the Chiefs have not ..... and continue not to.

My love and passion for both teams, and both sports, is as equal as can possibly be.
    But until the Chiefs do away with the philosophy of being content with mediocrity at the most important aspect of the game, I can't take them as a serious threat to bring a championship to KC.

Hope/Optimism is one thing -- Expectation is another.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 07-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I got to enjoy the Royals continue to own the tribe last night oh goodie

Hey at least the tigers wont win the central again
    Mets are 2 games back of the first place nationals, Astros are good, Yankees are first in their division, kill me now

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    C4L - You asked earlier what it'd take for Alex Smith to be on SR's good side, here's your answer..

Why he didn't just say so earlier, don't understand.
    Maybe I mistook his question, but I felt like he was asking me what it would take for Alex Smith to be a good QB.

The reply you're quoting here is in regards to your claim that I would make excuses if he started playing BETTER. Thus, I extended a statistical line that he would need to reach to qualify him as playing better.

2 different talking points.

But if you want to know what Smith can do to be a good QB ...... well, he'd have to scrap nearly his entire style - which isn't gonna happen. In other words, Smith is now what he's always been and will always be as an NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    But if it works that's 10 or more years of great football.
    And when has this worked in the Chiefs 50+ year history? NEVER!!!

That trash QB beat us last year. Kap and Smith are not that far off stat wise, if Kap is trash, what does that make smith (smith has the better stats, but not by much)?
    No, bad play-calling (not giving Charles enough carries) got the Chiefs beat in SF last year, not CK. CK didn't light up the field.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    And when has this worked in the Chiefs 50+ year history? NEVER!!!

No, bad play-calling (not giving Charles enough carries) got the Chiefs beat in SF last year, not CK. CK didn't light up the field.
    Yet just because we got 1 super bowl from 45/46 years ago and 1 AFC title game appearance we should stick to the picking up FA QBs? 2 First round QBs ever drafted, 3 second round QBs drafted, 16 3rd round or later. It's like they don't even try. 141 games (out of 171, majority coming from Mike Livingston, 75) started by chiefs drafted qbs.
    (http://www.pro-football-reference.co...=all&order_by=)

Kaep put up Alex smith numbers. So Alex is okay to put up numbers like this and win but when Kaep does it, it's not good?

201 yards 1TD 0 INT 53%
    (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554251)

But if it works that's 10 or more years of great football. That trash QB beat us last year. Kap and Smith are not that far off stat wise, if Kap is trash, what does that make smith (smith has the better stats, but not by much)?
    True. But what if over 10 years you burn up 3 First Round picks and each one turns out a BUST??? Now throw in the fact that to a REAL TOP PROSPECT anytime in the next few years we will have to trade away our first round pick PLUS another pick or two to get into the top 5 picks (we won't be getting that because of a trashy record anytime soon) and all of a sudden over 10 years you could trade away 3 First Round picks plus 3 more mid-level picks and STILL WIND UP WITH NOTHING.

NO THANK YOU.

Let's be honest...How many First Round picks in the last 10 years have turned into Montana, Brady, Manning, or any other truly elite QB? I haven't checked but I bet the answer is less than 25%. Those are not very good odds.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    True. But what if over 10 years you burn up 3 First Round picks and each one turns out a BUST??? Now throw in the fact that to a REAL TOP PROSPECT anytime in the next few years we will have to trade away our first round pick PLUS another pick or two to get into the top 5 picks (we won't be getting that because of a trashy record anytime soon) and all of a sudden over 10 years you could trade away 3 First Round picks plus 3 more mid-level picks and STILL WIND UP WITH NOTHING.NO THANK YOU. Let's be honest...How many First Round picks in the last 10 years have turned into Montana, Brady, Manning, or any other truly elite QB? I haven't checked but I bet the answer is less than 25%. Those are not very good odds.
    What percent of free agent QBs become Montana, Brady, Manning or any other truly elite QB? Could see if someone has already done the math on HoF QBs and what round they were taken. I think I saw a chart that showed QBs drafted in the 1st round won more than any other round, but combining all the other rounds it was pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    Maybe I mistook his question, but I felt like he was asking me what it would take for Alex Smith to be a good QB.

The reply you're quoting here is in regards to your claim that I would make excuses if he started playing BETTER. Thus, I extended a statistical line that he would need to reach to qualify him as playing better.

2 different talking points.

But if you want to know what Smith can do to be a good QB ...... well, he'd have to scrap nearly his entire style - which isn't gonna happen. In other words, Smith is now what he's always been and will always be as an NFL QB.
    Translation: "I'm weaseling out of my earlier statement."

Once again, play the games. Reid and Dorsey didn't follow your battle plan of draft QB at #1.

True. But what if over 10 years you burn up 3 First Round picks and each one turns out a BUST??? Now throw in the fact that to a REAL TOP PROSPECT anytime in the next few years we will have to trade away our first round pick PLUS another pick or two to get into the top 5 picks (we won't be getting that because of a trashy record anytime soon) and all of a sudden over 10 years you could trade away 3 First Round picks plus 3 more mid-level picks and STILL WIND UP WITH NOTHING.

NO THANK YOU.

Let's be honest...How many First Round picks in the last 10 years have turned into Montana, Brady, Manning, or any other truly elite QB? I haven't checked but I bet the answer is less than 25%. Those are not very good odds.
    Most GM's that have three first round busts are generally unemployed. When the GM goes, usually what happens is the HC is next, if not vice versa. The draft pick of the previous regime usually finds himself whittled down on the roster chart to the point where he's either traded, let go, or forced to play on a team with little or no support from upstairs. To support what I'm saying, check out either Marcus Allen or Kenny Stabler's books.

What percent of free agent QBs become Montana, Brady, Manning or any other truly elite QB? Could see if someone has already done the math on HoF QBs and what round they were taken. I think I saw a chart that showed QBs drafted in the 1st round won more than any other round, but combining all the other rounds it was pretty close.
    doobs.......Forgive me if I am misinterpreting the highlighted portion above. I assure you it was not intentional. But what I see you saying is that you saw a chart somewhere that showed that QBs picked in the first round had roughly AN EQUAL CHANCE HISTORICALLY to win the Super Bowl as QBs picked in later rounds. Did I get that right???

If so, then aren't Reid-Dorsey on the right track by picking up QBs in later rounds rather than constantly throwing first round picks at the QB position? If it's roughly 50-50 either way, then why throw first round picks at the problem?

And as much as I hate Brady and the splats, he was a 6th round pick and has won the second most Super Bowls of any QB ever and has the most Super Bowl appearances of any QB. Again...a 6th round pick.

And let us not forget....Alex Smith was a 1st round pick.....just not by the Chiefs.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 07-28-2015 at 05:09 PM.

doobs.......Forgive me if I am misinterpreting the highlighted portion above. I assure you it was not intentional. But what I see you saying is that you saw a chart somewhere that showed that QBs picked in the first round had roughly AN EQUAL CHANCE HISTORICALLY to win the Super Bowl as QBs picked in later rounds. Did I get that right??? If so, then aren't Reid-Dorsey on the right track by picking up QBs in later rounds rather than constantly throwing first round picks at the QB position? If it's roughly 50-50 either way, then why throw first round picks at the problem? And as much as I hate Brady and the splats, he was a 6th round pick and has won the second most Super Bowls of any QB ever and has the most Super Bowl appearances of any QB. Again...a 6th round pick.And let us not forget....Alex Smith was a 1st round pick.....just not by the Chiefs.
    http://www.sportradar.us/wp-content/...qbs_v6_650.png can't post pics at work. Also it shows breese drafted #32 so that should be a first rounder.
    Last edited by doobs_05; 07-28-2015 at 05:44 PM.