Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Royals vs. Chiefs

Default Royals vs. Chiefs

You want to know why the Royals have built an organization that is a 'legitimate' contender to win championships?
    Well, it's because they have a regime that not only understands the most essential elements to success, but also acts upon it.

It's pitching/defense:

1. A starting rotation that logs innings.
    2. A bullpen that shuts the door in late innings and shortens the game.
    3. An athletic defense that catches the ball and saves runs.

This is the aspect of the game where the Royals can't afford to be content with mediocrity. Of course there is no blueprint to a championship, and nothing is ever guaranteed, but this maximizes their chances.

In football, the most essential element is the play/ability of the QB, and to a slightly lesser extent, the philosophy of the head coach (which is, in large part, dependent on the skill/ability of the QB).

Of course baseball and football are vastly different sports, but the principle of placing the highest priority on the quintessentials (respective to their particular sport/league) is very similar.

To put it bluntly, the Royals are where they are because they've focused their efforts there, while the Chiefs have not ..... and continue not to.

My love and passion for both teams, and both sports, is as equal as can possibly be.
    But until the Chiefs do away with the philosophy of being content with mediocrity at the most important aspect of the game, I can't take them as a serious threat to bring a championship to KC.

Hope/Optimism is one thing -- Expectation is another.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 07-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    And let us not forget....Alex Smith was a 1st round pick.....just not by the Chiefs.
    That's the other thing, how many QBs have helped a team win a SB or gone to the HoF after becoming a FA and going to another team

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Translation: "I'm weaseling out of my earlier statement."
    Lol oh, so you get to move my replies around and fit them to whatever question you feel?

You're trying way too hard.

No, ny statement still stands. Smith has to hit or exceed the statistical line I laid out before I will even entertain the claim that he's BETTER.

"Just play the games" -- Translation: I don't have the courage of my convictions. I'm too unsure of myself to state a definitive position because I don't want egg on my face when I'm proven wrong.

Fine, stay on the sidelines. Those clipboards ain't gonna hold themselves.

I would be happy if Alex threw for 2,800 to 3,100 yards and 25-30 touchdowns

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    That's the other thing, how many QBs have helped a team win a SB or gone to the HoF after becoming a FA and going to another team
    Len Dawson, as mentioned before, is one of them. See, I does happen.

Another big trade for the royals

The Royals acquired super-utility man Ben Zobrist from the A's on Tuesday, their second big splash leading up to Friday's non-waiver Trade Deadline. Oakland received right-handed pitcher Aaron Brooks and Minor League left-handed pitcher Sean Manaea.

Zobrist, 34, was hitting .268/.354/.447 with six home runs and 33 RBIs in 67 games for the A's. He has spent most of his time defensively at second base and left field, but he proved capable of playing virtually any position during his nine seasons with the Rays.
    Kansas City already upgraded its rotation with the acquisition of ace right-hander Johnny Cueto from Cincinnati on Sunday. Zobrist should bolster the club's lineup, as he can fill in for the injured Alex Gordon or play second base in place of Omar Infante, who's hitting .230 with a .559 OPS.
    The Royals also received cash in the deal.

doobs.....

I am not enough of an NFL historian to answer your question with certainty, but I did a little googling and I came up with the following list. I can't swear by the reliability of this list since it only came from the 'net.....All of this was collected from several different websites.

14 of 49 Super Bowls have been won by QBs that were acquired via Free Agency or the Trade.

12 QBs acquired via free agency or trade have won one or more Super Bowls with their new teams.

A total of 27 different QBs have won the Super Bowl. 14 of them were acquired via Free Agency or Trade.

First the list of traded or Free Agent QBs that went on to win a Super Bowl.

1) Len Dawson. Drafted by Steelers, traded to the Browns...eventually
    cut and signed with the Chiefs.

2 - John Unitas, Colts in Super Bowl V - drafted by the Steelers and cut in preseason. Signed with the Colts the following season.

3 - Jim Plunkett, Raiders in Super Bowls XV and XVIII - drafted by the Patriots and, after 5 years, traded to the 49ers. Cut by the 49ers after 2 years and signed with the Raiders.

4 - Joe Theismann, Redskins in Super Bowl XVII - drafted by the Dolphins but could not agree on a contract. Played 3 years in Canada before coming back and signing with the Redskins.

5 - Doug Williams, Redskins in Super Bowl XXII - drafted by the Buccaneers and played 5 years there. Then signed with the rival United States Football League and played 2 years before coming back and signing with the Redskins.

6 - Steve Young, 49ers in Super Bowl XXIX - drafted by the Buccaneers and played 2 years before being traded to the 49ers.

7 - Brett Favre, Packers in Super Bowl XXXI - drafted by the Falcons and played 1 year before being traded to the Packers.

8 - John Elway, Broncos in Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII - drafted by the Colts but refused to play with them. Was traded a week after the draft to the Broncos.

9 - Kurt Warner, Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV - signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent but cut in preseason. Played in the Arena League for 3 seasons and NFL Europe for 1 season before signing with the Rams.

10 - Trent Dilfer, Ravens in Super Bowl XXXV - drafted by the Buccaneers and played 6 seasons before being cut and signing with the Ravens.

11 - Brad Johnson, Buccaneers in Super Bowl XXXVII - drafted by the Vikings and played 5 seasons there before being traded to the Redskins. Played 2 seasons with the Redskins before being traded to the Buccaneers.

12 - Drew Brees, Saints in Super Bowl XLIV - drafted by the Chargers and played 5 seasons before signing with the Saints.

Two of the above QBs won 2 Super Bowls with their new team. So a total of 14 of 49 Super Bowls have been won by QBs that were acquired by Free Agency or Trade.

So roughly 29% of all Super Bowls have been won by teams that acquired their QB by trade or free agency.

And what % of Super Bowls have been won by Free Agent or traded QBs vs. QBs that were drafted by the team they won one of more Super Bowls for????

Again, if my "net search" is not mistaken, then 27 different QBs have won the Super Bowl. That would mean that traded or Free Agent QBs (14) represent won roughly 52% of all Super Bowls.

Billy-bob is on my ignore list so I will not respond to anything he posts, but if any LEGITIMATE Chiefs fan wishes to dispute the numbers I came up with via a hasty 'net search then I will be glad to respond.

Lastly let me apologize for the messed up type fonts and boldings. I copied and pasted the "list" from the net and the font was wrong so I did my best to make everything legible.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 07-28-2015 at 07:40 PM.

http://www.sportradar.us/wp-content/...qbs_v6_650.png can't post pics at work. Also it shows breese drafted #32 so that should be a first rounder.
    With all due respect, would you be kind enough to look at my post above? The numbers are rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Another big trade for the royals
    It's gonna be a crazy Fall in KC.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

If you didn't catch the play by Infante and Escobar in the bottom of the 9th inning of tonight's game in Cleveland, you will soon ......

All-world defense! Prime reason why this team is the best in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    If you didn't catch the play by Infante and Escobar in the bottom of the 9th inning of tonight's game in Cleveland, you will soon ......

All-world defense! Prime reason why this team is the best in the league.
    Sadly i did see it :(
    TopekaRoy is my hero!