Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Royals vs. Chiefs

Default Royals vs. Chiefs

You want to know why the Royals have built an organization that is a 'legitimate' contender to win championships?
    Well, it's because they have a regime that not only understands the most essential elements to success, but also acts upon it.

It's pitching/defense:

1. A starting rotation that logs innings.
    2. A bullpen that shuts the door in late innings and shortens the game.
    3. An athletic defense that catches the ball and saves runs.

This is the aspect of the game where the Royals can't afford to be content with mediocrity. Of course there is no blueprint to a championship, and nothing is ever guaranteed, but this maximizes their chances.

In football, the most essential element is the play/ability of the QB, and to a slightly lesser extent, the philosophy of the head coach (which is, in large part, dependent on the skill/ability of the QB).

Of course baseball and football are vastly different sports, but the principle of placing the highest priority on the quintessentials (respective to their particular sport/league) is very similar.

To put it bluntly, the Royals are where they are because they've focused their efforts there, while the Chiefs have not ..... and continue not to.

My love and passion for both teams, and both sports, is as equal as can possibly be.
    But until the Chiefs do away with the philosophy of being content with mediocrity at the most important aspect of the game, I can't take them as a serious threat to bring a championship to KC.

Hope/Optimism is one thing -- Expectation is another.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 07-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Talking

Geno Smith is a tier 5 if ever there were one. I'm not sure why he didn't get enough votes to place him there. He blows chunks.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Derek Carr is a star in the making and will carry the Raiders for years to come, Bridgewater is like his name implies he is gonna be water under the bridge. These lists annoy me because I don't care about stats its overrated and everyone knows it, all I care about is can the man win and his frequency of mistakes which we got a good one in Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Derek Carr is a star in the making and will carry the Raiders for years to come, Bridgewater is like his name implies he is gonna be water under the bridge. These lists annoy me because I don't care about stats its overrated and everyone knows it, all I care about is can the man win and his frequency of mistakes which we got a good one in Smith.
    I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Bridgewater will be better than Carr -- not that Carr can't be good too, Bridgewater is just better.

Not caring about stats, and/or blowing off the relevance of stats, is an awfully convenient position to take when you're a proponent of a guy like Smith. Stats reflect production, impact, value and skill. If Jamaal Charles doesn't put up good stats, but yet the team still wins consistently, no one is going to say, "the man wins games!" Instead we'd say, "We need a better RB."

Funny how some have such a tough time holding the QB (the single most important position in the game) to the same standard. They'd rather delude themselves into thinking that the guy is better than he is, and he needs is more help.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Its also funny how some have to read to much into things and crap talk players of our own team, and not just be happy with said player

Its also funny how some have to read to much into things and crap talk players of our own team, and not just be happy with said player
    Oh, you mean like how you crap talked Dwayne Bowe, the receivers and the offensive line? Why couldn't you just be happy with said players?

because Smith is better than them. What is it gonna take for Smith to be good in your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    There were points in time where the Chiefs were one of the very best teams in just about every aspect of the game ......EXCEPT QB.

The Chiefs have had one of the top RBs, Offensive lines, Defensive lines, Secondaries, TEs, Pass rushes, Coaching staffs, Home Field advantages, Return men, Punters, Kickers, etc ......... just never one of the top QBs.

..... and what has it gotten us?

A near 40 year old Montana and Trent Green were about as close as we've come. It's also no coincidence that it was during those 2 eras where the Chiefs had their best chances to win championships.

Teams that win championships generally don't treat QB as if it's a throw away position -- they don't commit to mediocrity and hope that they can excel everywhere else.
    Fair enough. I think you'll, also, find that those teams that win Championships also place that QB behind an offense made up of non-disposable position players; understatement of this position does not in any way invalidate it. The point being made here is that being a good “game manager” does not make Smith mediocre; in fact years of having just the opposite underscores the very need for a one. I think that given a supporting cast that can also do their job well will compel critics to redefine their terms regarding Smith. This is, again, simply my opinion.

...Good debate.

because Smith is better than them. What is it gonna take for Smith to be good in your eyes?
    Forget it, Chief4life24 -- Stevie Ray is one of the those that crapped in his diaper when the Chiefs traded for Alex and drafted Fisher, instead of wasting the pick on a QB that wasn't worth of that slot. The crap in his diaper still remains to this day & is more important to him, than the Chiefs winning football games and being a competitive football team.

His earlier post about Bridgewater being a better selection than Ford is also another strawman that shows he wasn't really paying close attention at all. In the season final, the Chiefs wised up on how to use Ford against immobile QB's like Rivers and Manning in obvious passing situations, by sending Ford straight up the middle and Ford was all over Rivers almost as soon as the ball hit Rivers hands in the shotgun formation. I pointed out that getting both Ford and Murray was better than drafting Bridgewater, but of course Stevie Ray thinks Bridgewater would have beaten Alex out of starting position, but everybody else knows that would not have happened, and Bridgewater would have been a sideline spectator all season long like Murray was. Ford was drafted to provide depth behind Houston and Hali right away, and will be Hali's successor.

I don't care what Bridgewater did in Minnesota last year -- he still would have been a developmental guy in KC.

And let us not forget Alex's 109 passer rating with 9 TD's and 0 INT's in the post-season.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 07-25-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Personally I think the only 2 QB's that are elite is Brady and Rogers. Because if we base everything at the end of the day on how many rings you have Eli is better than Payton cause he just can't get it done when it counts

What is it gonna take for Smith to be good in your eyes?
    If the Chiefs won 3 Super Bowls in a row Billy-bob would grudgingly admit that Smith is a "little above average".

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast