Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Royals vs. Chiefs

Default Royals vs. Chiefs

You want to know why the Royals have built an organization that is a 'legitimate' contender to win championships?
    Well, it's because they have a regime that not only understands the most essential elements to success, but also acts upon it.

It's pitching/defense:

1. A starting rotation that logs innings.
    2. A bullpen that shuts the door in late innings and shortens the game.
    3. An athletic defense that catches the ball and saves runs.

This is the aspect of the game where the Royals can't afford to be content with mediocrity. Of course there is no blueprint to a championship, and nothing is ever guaranteed, but this maximizes their chances.

In football, the most essential element is the play/ability of the QB, and to a slightly lesser extent, the philosophy of the head coach (which is, in large part, dependent on the skill/ability of the QB).

Of course baseball and football are vastly different sports, but the principle of placing the highest priority on the quintessentials (respective to their particular sport/league) is very similar.

To put it bluntly, the Royals are where they are because they've focused their efforts there, while the Chiefs have not ..... and continue not to.

My love and passion for both teams, and both sports, is as equal as can possibly be.
    But until the Chiefs do away with the philosophy of being content with mediocrity at the most important aspect of the game, I can't take them as a serious threat to bring a championship to KC.

Hope/Optimism is one thing -- Expectation is another.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 07-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Royals have had two and a half decades of losing though. As much as Dayton Moore was disliked initially he came in with a clear plan and now the youngsters he helped to acquire and bring though are mostly at or almost at their peak. Market size playing the role it does in baseball often means small market teams have to lose to eventually win, in the NFL this isn't the case.

The Chiefs have had some good teams and bad but the Royals where consistently awful for so long and the fans almost lost hope. I don't think the Chiefs are THAT far off having a championship contending team, the majority of pieces are in place. I still have major doubts about the quarter back though.

Ughh another Anti Smith post Ray...At least you took a fresher look to the bashing.. Okay to play along. Until last year the Royals were a laughing stock of the MLB. The last time they saw the play offs was 30 years ago... All season long, fans called in bashing Ned Yost for poorly managing games. People were expecting Dayton Moore to leave for Atlanta. They barely made it to the play offs and the light switch went on against the A's and got really really hot. They learned how to win. So yes, for a about a year now the Royals have got it all working. Atleast until other teams develope the same game plan and start doing it and then we can't afford to keep or key players. Wait and see how the Royals do against teams that have top end rotations that don't give the Royals a lead in the 6th such as Houston who swept them last series before you start crowning them a better organization over a team you claim to love.

At least the Chiefs have been competitive most years and have made the play offs and the future is still looking bright. He they just paid a ton of money to a player I never thought they would. They spent some money and a quality draft fixing the receivers.

I love both my teams, and I am skeptical of both teams but right now I am going to enjoy both of their success.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Ughh another Anti Smith post Ray...At least you took a fresher look to the bashing..
    Other than the fact that Smith happens to be the QB at present, my point has nothing to do with him personally. This was my take pre-Smith, but of course being constantly strawman'd and misrepresented as a Smith hater, my stance will inevitably be taken simplistically as bashing. I tried to make it clear that my beef is with the organization.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Until last year the Royals were a laughing stock of the MLB.
    No doubt about that, and the primary reason was because they were a team with mediocre (at best) pitching/defense. The Royals were at times a solid offensive team with a crop of good position players, but they couldn't pitch worth a damn.

Dayton Moore changed the focus to pitching/defense and athleticism being in a big ball park. Of course it takes years to acquire a group of young, inexpensive players -- graduate them to the big leagues, and allow them to develop at the highest level.

But focusing on the essentials never waivered.

I don't mind if the Chiefs take a couple-three years of losing in order to focus on acquiring good, young talent at the QB position. I can take that, so long as a legitimate effort to obtain that QB remains the top priority. As long as they continue with the philosophy of committing to veteran QBs from the bench of someone else's roster, it'll be that much tougher to accomplish that; thus, my issue.

Wait and see how the Royals do against teams that have top end rotations that don't give the Royals a lead in the 6th such as Houston who swept them last series before you start crowning them a better organization over a team you claim to love.
    The Royals have faced several teams with good rotations. Just because they were swept in one particular series this season doesn't take away from what they've accomplished, nor the issue that I've raised. You don't make it to game 7 of the World Series without beating good pitching.

Who can deny that the Royals are a better organization than the Chiefs right now when it comes to success on the field? I don't think I'm saying anything in that regard that is remotely controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    Who can deny that the Royals are a better organization than the Chiefs right now when it comes to success on the field? I don't think I'm saying anything in that regard that is remotely controversial.
    You can't Deny it. Simply because training camp does not start for another two weeks. So this years Chiefs have yet to prove your opionion right or wrong where the Royals are half way the season and winning. Come October you will either be proven correct or wrong.

In my opinion, I could care less who is the better organization right now. I love them both and like where both Teams are. The Chiefs are in a much better spot than they were before Dorsey and Reid got here. I was on the fence with the Royals before the season started knowing their Rotation was still questionable and it still is. I was not sure if the post season was just a hot streak. They proved it wasn't. At this point, the Chiefs got Alex some more tools and I am still on the fence on if that was enough or if Alex really is the problem. AGain though, they have been winning with him and it could be much worse.

So far this royals team is better than last years team. I don't know how but they are, I just hope they can keep it all together. I will say though the starting pitching has been a little lack luster this year compared to last year

Come October you will either be proven correct or wrong.
    October? The Royals just went to the World Series, and at present have the best record in their league. They're out in front of the Chiefs right now -- not even debatable, imo.

Now if we get to February and the Chiefs are playing in the Super Bowl, we can revisit that conversation.

I'll never feel the Royals fan's pain of those losing seasons but winning 14 straight division titles and only winning 1 WS (which came after the strike season) does not feel good

Oh, Braves built around pitching, 1 title after a strike does not look good. (tho pitching should be the big factor in playoffs)

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    So far this royals team is better than last years team. I don't know how but they are, I just hope they can keep it all together. I will say though the starting pitching has been a little lack luster this year compared to last year
    And that's with below par starting pitching too. Imagine if Duffy and Ventura rediscover their 2014 form and everything really clicks into place. This Royals team is as exciting as it's been for decades.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast