Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Royals vs. Chiefs

Default Royals vs. Chiefs

You want to know why the Royals have built an organization that is a 'legitimate' contender to win championships?
    Well, it's because they have a regime that not only understands the most essential elements to success, but also acts upon it.

It's pitching/defense:

1. A starting rotation that logs innings.
    2. A bullpen that shuts the door in late innings and shortens the game.
    3. An athletic defense that catches the ball and saves runs.

This is the aspect of the game where the Royals can't afford to be content with mediocrity. Of course there is no blueprint to a championship, and nothing is ever guaranteed, but this maximizes their chances.

In football, the most essential element is the play/ability of the QB, and to a slightly lesser extent, the philosophy of the head coach (which is, in large part, dependent on the skill/ability of the QB).

Of course baseball and football are vastly different sports, but the principle of placing the highest priority on the quintessentials (respective to their particular sport/league) is very similar.

To put it bluntly, the Royals are where they are because they've focused their efforts there, while the Chiefs have not ..... and continue not to.

My love and passion for both teams, and both sports, is as equal as can possibly be.
    But until the Chiefs do away with the philosophy of being content with mediocrity at the most important aspect of the game, I can't take them as a serious threat to bring a championship to KC.

Hope/Optimism is one thing -- Expectation is another.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 07-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Fair enough. But that's why I say play the games, let's see how it all pans out.
    - [Your response to my point that people who are insecure with their position (in the debate about Smith) tend to take the disagreement personally.

Yes, "play the games" ......... kinda goes without saying, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    If Alex improves, quit living up to a reputation and give the guy some credit. If he sucks, flame away.
    - [Again, your response to my point that people who are insecure with their position (in the debate about Smith) tend to take the disagreement personally.

I don't really understand how/why you think your reply follows. If Smith is a 'better' ballplayer than the Smith he's been over his 10 year career, I will give him props whether the Chiefs succeed or fail to bring some hardware to KC.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I was glad they didn't draft Geno Smith or Teddy Bridgewater. Geno will probably never be anything more than poor especially if he is playing for the Jets, and Bridgewater is definitely better but probably won't be a pro bowler
    Well, I didn't like Geno Smith as a pro QB prospect either, but I don't agree with overly-conservative approach when it comes to drafting QBs early. I'd rather try and fail at it while being aggressive, rather than settling for the safer route of committing to someone else's veteran backup.

I was glad they didn't draft Geno Smith or Teddy Bridgewater. As long as Geno plays to the Jets he will be no more than poor, and Bridgewater is definitely better but probably won't be a pro bowler
    Same here, and I have no clue where Stephanie Rae Jean gets this idea that drafting a QB in the 1st round automatically means that QB will be a sure-fire success, because what Stephanie Rae Jean doesn't take into account for, is the fact that the Chiefs are 0 for 17 since 1970 when it comes to drafting QB's, with Murray being #18, and when your track record is that bad, then you'd better jump at the chance to acquire the services of a proven veteran like Alex Smith and have the luxury of trying to develop a youngster like Murray behind him for a couple or three years.

The Royals take 4 of 6 vs. the Pirates and Astros.

They just keep "beating up on bad teams."

Alex Smith never should have lost his starting job, kap is trash he is in no way a backup. My position is if you draft a QB and fail your screwed and that sets teams back 3-4 years. Not worth taking a chance on

C4L - You asked earlier what it'd take for Alex Smith to be on SR's good side, here's your answer...

I'll tell you what -- If Smith starts 14-16 games, tops 3,500 passing yards, 30 TDs, AND takes less than 40 sacks .... I will readily admit that I am wrong about him.
    Why he didn't just say so earlier, don't understand.

Alex Smith never should have lost his starting job, kap is trash he is in no way a backup. My position is if you draft a QB and fail your screwed and that sets teams back 3-4 years. Not worth taking a chance on
    But if it works that's 10 or more years of great football. That trash QB beat us last year. Kap and Smith are not that far off stat wise, if Kap is trash, what does that make smith (smith has the better stats, but not by much)?
    Last edited by doobs_05; 07-28-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Glad you guys get to enjoy the Royals run, while me and Matt get to enjoy our teams (Atlanta and Cleveland) play below .500 baseball

I agree that Kapernick is not very good either, but that doesn't say anything in Alex Smith's favor. How does such a good QB like Alex Smith get beat out by such a "trash" QB like Kap? (rhetorical question)

Oh, that darn Harbaugh just didn't know what he was doing, right? Is it the same Harbaugh who finally brought winning to SF? The same Harbaugh that help Smith to resuscitate a dying career as an NFL starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Glad you guys get to enjoy the Royals run, while me and Matt get to enjoy our teams (Atlanta and Cleveland) play below .500 baseball
    I got to enjoy the Royals continue to own the tribe last night oh goodie

Hey at least the tigers wont win the central again
    TopekaRoy is my hero!