Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Houston's contract a bit.

Default Let's talk about Houston's contract a bit.

I'm sure we're all glad that Houston will be in a Chiefs uniform for probably the rest of his career. I also suspect we all have some concerns about how HUGE his contract is. If we can believe the media, his contract is 6 years, $101 million, $52 million guaranteed. So an average of about $16.834 million per year. That's a HUGE potful of money. NO DOUBT.

But I'm not at all sure it's as much as it seems. As Demps mentioned in another thread.....

"The Chiefs cap situation is amazing for this contract, and here is why...
    2015: Chiefs have a cap ceiling of $13 mil for Houston's contract. That is already accounted for, BUT the amount can be less and save us some space (Suh has just a $6.5 mil cap hit this year). That space doesn't have to be used this year and can rollover to 2016. Or, the Chiefs can keep the current cap hit which will save them money in the future.
    2016: The Chiefs are projected to have $48 mil in cap space next year (one of best cap situations in NFL). So if Chiefs mimicking Suh contract, we still have $20 mil available...plus the saved money opened up by Houston's new 2015 cap hit. $20 mil is a lot to work with, and plenty to make our important contracts work.
    2017: Chiefs are projected to have $78 mil available. Needless to say, that is more than enough to make just about anything work.
    2018: $102 mil projected available.
    Chiefs not only have flexibility this year, but throughout the near future as well. Unless John Dorsey suddenly forgets everything about working in an NFL front office, this isn't a difficult task."

So using Demps' numbers we should start 2016 with something like $16-$24 million AFTER taking into account Houston's new cap hit. That should be enough to get Poe and our other important contracts done.

Then in 2017 we're supposed to have $78 million. Deduct about $18 million for Houston and say another $30 million for new contracts in 2016 and before 2017 and we should still have about $30 million to play with in Free agency and for rookies.

2018...$102 million available...NO PROBLEM.

2019...This is the 5th year of Houston's contract and the dead money if we cut him is probably not all that big a deal, so if he is not producing anymore we can afford to cut him.

There is NO DOUBT that this is a blockbuster contract and I think we're going to have to be careful how we spend money the next 4 years. At the very least we will have a cheap #2 QB in 2016 than we do now. Houston's contract will not allow us the luxury of bench-warmers that make over $4 million per year. But I don't think this is a crippling contract. I think we are going to have to get rid of some luxuries but I don't think we are going to have to lose anything that is really important. This is where Reid-Dorsey have done us a HUGE FAVOR. We have A LOT of rookies and second year men on the roster and their low cap-cost means we can absorb a HUGE contract like this until the annual salary cap makes this contract not seem so huge...because we all know that in 3 years this contract won't seem at all big for somebody of Houston's caliber.

This is really what "building through the draft" is all about. By having a team that is heavy on players on their rookie contract you find yourself with the cap space to keep the veterans who are true stars with a bit left over to play around in free agency to pick up guys like Maclin who can fill holes where you really need help.

The "trick" about building through the draft is you need a GREAT coaching staff that in a year or two can turn rookies into starters or top of the line backups. I think Reid has the coaching staff that can do that.

I view 2015 as the year we transition out of "rebuilding mode" and move toward "serious contender" and 2016 as the start of a serious 3 year run in which every year is a year in which we could reach the Super Bowl.

Be HAPPY fellow Chiefs fans! We're in for a fun ride the next few years!!!

OH....If anybody see's any more details about Houston's contract other than the basic 6 years, $101 million, $52 million guaranteed....Please post it up here so we all know what is going on.

This is the richest contract in Chiefs history, it also gives us 8,000,000 million in space this year from the tweet I read.

From Jason LA Canfora on my twitter

Huge $ for Justin Houston: $21.5M in 2015, $43m by March 2016. $52.5M total by March 2017. $32.5M full guar. $52.5m guar for injury. Wow
    Last edited by Chiefs4life24; 07-15-2015 at 06:35 PM.

It will be interesting to see if Dorsey uses that $8 million to try to pick off a free agent now or if he sets it aside to use for an emergency during the season or to set aside for next year. My guess is that he'll hold it as a "in-season reserve" for possible injuries.

I don't fully understand his contract. And I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't like this contract. Paying this much to one player seems like a huge risk. Plus we are paying him like he's a 20 sack player for 6 years. He's not, and most likely won't be. We could have made him play under his 13mm cap number this year. If he put up another 20 sacks, then offer this contract. If he put up 10-15 sacks this year, we could have paid him a much more reasonable salary. Time will tell, but it seems awful rich for a guy that had a breakout season. It reminds me a lot of Dwayne Bowe's $50mm contract after his 1 good year.

Congrats to Justin and hope that he will get better and better!
    ​Happy Halloween 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I don't fully understand his contract. And I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't like this contract. Paying this much to one player seems like a huge risk. Plus we are paying him like he's a 20 sack player for 6 years. He's not, and most likely won't be. We could have made him play under his 13mm cap number this year. If he put up another 20 sacks, then offer this contract. If he put up 10-15 sacks this year, we could have paid him a much more reasonable salary. Time will tell, but it seems awful rich for a guy that had a breakout season. It reminds me a lot of Dwayne Bowe's $50mm contract after his 1 good year.
    You won't get any arguments from me Coach. The purpose of my post was NOT to say this is a "GREAT DEAL" nor was it to say Houston deserved it. Not at all. The purpose of my post was just to say that this was probably a deal we could afford to make without putting ourselves in cap hell for the next 4 years or so.

Is Houston WORTH the deal we gave him????? I don't know. Nobody else does either. If he plays like he did last year for the next 4 years (4 years is probably when we could actually think about affording to cut him) then it was probably a pretty good deal. If for the next 4 years he gets 8-10 sacks per year then we probably screwed the pooch. There it is. Ultimately this whole damned thing was a crap-shoot. Lots of factors to consider. What if he holds out for the first 10 weeks? What if once he is signed he only produces 8-10 sacks per year? What if we let him go and he produces 16-18 sacks per years somewhere else? A crap-shoot. Just like DB was. Just like LJ was. What should we have done? I DUNNO. My crystal ball is broken.

But as they say in poker....We're "ALL IN" now. We're going to see his cards. We'll find out.

But I will say this.....I'm glad he is going to be in a Chiefs uniform next year and in a "happy mood". I'm also glad that Reid-Dorsey seem to be taking a "It's time to take a few risks so we can win a Super Bowl" type attitude. I'm tired of 8-8...9-7...10-6 being the goal so we can just go one and done again. IMO Reid-Dorsey are willing to take some serious risk in order to try to make the Chiefs a serious long term contender. Yeah....by doing that that are taking some risk of screwing us fans over. And Lord knows that has happened a LOT in the last 45 years. But y'now right now we have Patton, Lee and MacArthur leading our Chiefs...BALLSY, SELF CONFIDENT and maybe A LITTLE CRAZY.

But after the last 45 years my attitude is GOOD FOR THEM. Better to be shot for a LION than a mouse.

Hmm. $8 million dollars in cap space this year. Wasn't Evan Mathis supposedly looking for $6-7 million? He is still a free agent ...

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Hmm. $8 million dollars in cap space this year. Wasn't Evan Mathis supposedly looking for $6-7 million? He is still a free agent ...
    But don't we need to keep $2 million open for in season emergencies? Wonder if we could get him for maybe $4-$5 million this late?

Justin Houston cap numbers for each year

Justin Houston's 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 salary cap numbers are $5.1M, $19.1M, $20.6M, $19.1M, $19.6M & $17.5M.

Chiefs have $8.63M of salary cap room after Justin Houston's deal. There should be right around $27.5M of '16 cap space (assumes $150M cap).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast