Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Houston's contract a bit.

Default Let's talk about Houston's contract a bit.

I'm sure we're all glad that Houston will be in a Chiefs uniform for probably the rest of his career. I also suspect we all have some concerns about how HUGE his contract is. If we can believe the media, his contract is 6 years, $101 million, $52 million guaranteed. So an average of about $16.834 million per year. That's a HUGE potful of money. NO DOUBT.

But I'm not at all sure it's as much as it seems. As Demps mentioned in another thread.....

"The Chiefs cap situation is amazing for this contract, and here is why...
    2015: Chiefs have a cap ceiling of $13 mil for Houston's contract. That is already accounted for, BUT the amount can be less and save us some space (Suh has just a $6.5 mil cap hit this year). That space doesn't have to be used this year and can rollover to 2016. Or, the Chiefs can keep the current cap hit which will save them money in the future.
    2016: The Chiefs are projected to have $48 mil in cap space next year (one of best cap situations in NFL). So if Chiefs mimicking Suh contract, we still have $20 mil available...plus the saved money opened up by Houston's new 2015 cap hit. $20 mil is a lot to work with, and plenty to make our important contracts work.
    2017: Chiefs are projected to have $78 mil available. Needless to say, that is more than enough to make just about anything work.
    2018: $102 mil projected available.
    Chiefs not only have flexibility this year, but throughout the near future as well. Unless John Dorsey suddenly forgets everything about working in an NFL front office, this isn't a difficult task."

So using Demps' numbers we should start 2016 with something like $16-$24 million AFTER taking into account Houston's new cap hit. That should be enough to get Poe and our other important contracts done.

Then in 2017 we're supposed to have $78 million. Deduct about $18 million for Houston and say another $30 million for new contracts in 2016 and before 2017 and we should still have about $30 million to play with in Free agency and for rookies.

2018...$102 million available...NO PROBLEM.

2019...This is the 5th year of Houston's contract and the dead money if we cut him is probably not all that big a deal, so if he is not producing anymore we can afford to cut him.

There is NO DOUBT that this is a blockbuster contract and I think we're going to have to be careful how we spend money the next 4 years. At the very least we will have a cheap #2 QB in 2016 than we do now. Houston's contract will not allow us the luxury of bench-warmers that make over $4 million per year. But I don't think this is a crippling contract. I think we are going to have to get rid of some luxuries but I don't think we are going to have to lose anything that is really important. This is where Reid-Dorsey have done us a HUGE FAVOR. We have A LOT of rookies and second year men on the roster and their low cap-cost means we can absorb a HUGE contract like this until the annual salary cap makes this contract not seem so huge...because we all know that in 3 years this contract won't seem at all big for somebody of Houston's caliber.

This is really what "building through the draft" is all about. By having a team that is heavy on players on their rookie contract you find yourself with the cap space to keep the veterans who are true stars with a bit left over to play around in free agency to pick up guys like Maclin who can fill holes where you really need help.

The "trick" about building through the draft is you need a GREAT coaching staff that in a year or two can turn rookies into starters or top of the line backups. I think Reid has the coaching staff that can do that.

I view 2015 as the year we transition out of "rebuilding mode" and move toward "serious contender" and 2016 as the start of a serious 3 year run in which every year is a year in which we could reach the Super Bowl.

Be HAPPY fellow Chiefs fans! We're in for a fun ride the next few years!!!

The part of this that I really like is that the Chiefs are using all of their cap allowance. Nothing worse than going 5-11 and have 30mm of cap space available. Clark Hunt hired the right people and is using the entire cap. He's doing everything he can do on his end. Props to Clark Hunt!!!!

THANKS C4L!!!!

That's a big damned chunk of money! And no doubt this contract means we won't be "Rolling in Cash" for the next few years, but being realistic, if we start the off-season with $20-$30 million in cap space ever year then we should be just fine. Reid and Dorsey are not the types to go hog wild in Free Agency anyway. They tend to be very careful with Free Agency moves.

On a side note C4L....would you mind telling me where you got the above numbers? For cap and contract info I usually use overthecap.com but they have not updated their numbers so I am curious where you get your numbers. Like Demps, you seem to get info pretty damned quick so I would appreciate it if you would consider sharing some of your sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The part of this that I really like is that the Chiefs are using all of their cap allowance. Nothing worse than going 5-11 and have 30mm of cap space available. Clark Hunt hired the right people and is using the entire cap. He's doing everything he can do on his end. Props to Clark Hunt!!!!
    Absolutely right! Clark hunt did a GREAT job after the 2012 debacle. First he chose the right Head Coach. Then he told that coach to tell him who he needed for GM and the rest of his coaching staff. And now Hunt is doing whatever he has to to support the coaching and management staff. You can't ask much more than that from an owner.

We should also thank Andy Reid for the major role he played in bringing Dorsey here and in assembling a really outstanding coaching staff. I have no doubt that we have one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL. Reid-Sutton-Toub....without a doubt one of the 5 best front-line coaching staffs around.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    But don't we need to keep $2 million open for in season emergencies? Wonder if we could get him for maybe $4-$5 million this late?
    The reason the eagles let him go was because he wouldn't take a $5.5 million dollar contract. I find it very interesting that he is still available. I wonder if Dorsey and Reid spoke with him and said "give us till the 16th? We can't officially sign you until we clear some space with the Houston contract." If so, that would have been a ballsy move.

Yes, we should leave a million or two in cap space for emergencies. We could always cut Daniels in an emergency, though.

All that having been said, I think the staff is happy with the guys they picked up in the draft, plus the guys returning. Mathis would be a huge upgrade, and one that likely knows the offense already, though.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-ci...ustin-houston/

For details of the contract, spotrac is usually a little faster to update. However the exact numbers of dead money and how the guarantees are structured aren't listed.
    Last edited by jap1; 07-16-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    The reason the eagles let him go was because he wouldn't take a $5.5 million dollar contract. I find it very interesting that he is still available. I wonder if Dorsey and Reid spoke with him and said "give us till the 16th? We can't officially sign you until we clear some space with the Houston contract." If so, that would have been a ballsy move.

Yes, we should leave a million or two in cap space for emergencies. We could always cut Daniels in an emergency, though.

All that having been said, I think the staff is happy with the guys they picked up in the draft, plus the guys returning. Mathis would be a huge upgrade, and one that likely knows the offense already, though.
    The fact that he is still available is certainly very interesting...and a bit surprising. And as you say, we were in no position to talk to him until the Houston deal was done. And whenever we discuss Free Agents from the Iggles we must never forget the Andy Reid connection. People really seem to LIKE to play for him. And of course, it's not like we already have the best O-line in the NFL. The longer he stays on the free agent market, the less valuable he appears and I don't think there is any doubt he wants a paycheck this year. All-in-all I'd be plenty happy if we signed him to a "prove it" type contract. That said, I am not going to second guess Dorsey and Reid. I'm pretty damned happy with what they have done so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-ci...ustin-houston/

For details of the contract, spotrac is usually a little faster to update. However the exact numbers of dead money and how the guarantees are structured aren't listed.
    Thanks for the info jap1. That is one hell of a contract no matter how you slice it. I just hope he stays healthy and doesn't go all LJ on us. So long as he stays healthy and maintains a HIGH LEVEL of motivation I think he was probably worth it.

Justin Houston cap numbers for each year

Justin Houston's 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 salary cap numbers are $5.1M, $19.1M, $20.6M, $19.1M, $19.6M & $17.5M.

Chiefs have $8.63M of salary cap room after Justin Houston's deal. There should be right around $27.5M of '16 cap space (assumes $150M cap).

Also Reid said a while ago they are not interested in Mathis at this time

I will say I don't like it way too much $$.. Will screw us for years to come.

OH and he better dang well sign my football at 1st pre season game against Arizona I have seats again this year right at field at thier entrance onto field.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast