Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have we done enough to improve our O-Line?

Default Have we done enough to improve our O-Line?

I think we can all agree that our offense was our downfall last year (injuries too). Our WRs couldn't get the job done and our O-Line had Alex Smith running for his life much of the time. Despite that we still had a winning season and were in the playoff hunt right to the end. Being honest between the loss to the Titans and the damned Raiders we should have been 11-5. But we lost 2 "gimmes".

Our Defense was ranked #7 over all and while I'm not sure where we ranked in points allowed, at something like 17.5 points allowed per game a good argument can be made that last year we had a truly elite Defense....despite all the injuries.

But in the end a Stone Wall as a Defense was NOT ENOUGH. Our Offense just didn't get the job done.

Which brings up the key point.....

Alex Smith is a VERY GOOD QB (I did NOT say "elite") when he has time. But if he is running for his life 2 seconds after the ball is snapped...well....let's just say that under those circumstances he looks pretty mediocre.

So the question is....did we improve our O-line enough to make a difference this year?

Fanaika probably helped a bit, but I'm not at all sure he is a "difference-maker". An improvement? Yes. But being honest, he ain't no superstar.

Then there is Grubbs. He is no "young buck" any more, but no doubt in my mind he is a HUGE improvement. I think having him on the left side along with Fisher will help Smith's weak side A LOT.

We lost Hudson and I have no clue if Kush will be good enough at center.

You can never have "too good" an O-line, but did we improve our O-line enough to make a difference over last year?

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 07-21-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I saw a picture of Kush, Morse and Sherman and all three looked ripped
    I saw the same pic, and LDT is also a gifted physical specimen that can throw up the 225 lb. bar 30+ times.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Here is what Center Eric Kush has transformed himself into in 2 years since being drafted.

Attachment 747

As you can see, he looks like a wrecking machine. Morse will be his backup, but Morse may also challenge for a starting spot at RG. This may be the Next candidate that the Chiefs are bringing along in the same manner as Kush.

Attachment 748
    I saw that pic of Kush earlier this morning and read the article that went with it. Made me feel A LOT better about going into the season with Kush at Center. I think the left side is going to be OK and I think we're going to be OK at center. The right side seems a little up in the air. I wonder if Alex Smith is any good at rolling out to the left??? Seems to me like rolling out to the left would be awkward for a right handed QB.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I saw that pic of Kush earlier this morning and read the article that went with it. Made me feel A LOT better about going into the season with Kush at Center. I think the left side is going to be OK and I think we're going to be OK at center. The right side seems a little up in the air. I wonder if Alex Smith is any good at rolling out to the left??? Seems to me like rolling out to the left would be awkward for a right handed QB.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kush is an upgrade over Hudson. Kush is faster and can run a sub 5.0 in the forty and he's around 15 lbs heavier. It's all boiling down to who is going to be manning the RG and RT spots on opening day.

If this O-Line shows significant improvement over last year, then the Chiefs could find themselves back in the post-season.

I'm a little worried about RG and RT.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kush is an upgrade over Hudson. Kush is faster and can run a sub 5.0 in the forty and he's around 15 lbs heavier. It's all boiling down to who is going to be manning the RG and RT spots on opening day.

If this O-Line shows significant improvement over last year, then the Chiefs could find themselves back in the post-season.
    NO DOUBT. We are better at the receiver positions. I worry a little about Kush at center because he doesn't have a huge amount of experience at the pro level but I think he will turn out fine. As you say, perhaps as good or better than Hudson was. He surely seems to be putting in the effort to make himself into a star. We probably have improved the left side substantially by adding Grubbs and I think having Grubbs next to him will make Fisher look a LOT better. Throw in more experience, and I think Fisher will start to look like a truly solid LT. As you say, it would appear that the only real concern now should be the right side.

Of course...all this is predicated on us not getting murdered early on by injuries the way we did last year.

Being honest what probably concerns me most is what appears to be a VERY VERY TOUGH schedule.

^^Well, last year was a tough schedule, as well, and things could have been a whole lot worse considering the O-Line struggles.

One major problem, that I saw and that Len Dawson called out repeatedly, was the receivers not trying to get to an open area whenever Alex broke the pocket, and too often (especially Bowe) just standing there with their finger up their arse with a defender standing next to them, and not running to an open area to give Alex a target. Rich Gannon was successful because he would use his mobility to buy time and his receivers were smart enough to run to an open area and give Gannon a target. Avant was the first guy to do this once he got on the field last year. This can also be helpful to any O-Line and you make 1st downs and move the sticks.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 07-25-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Only time will tell over in the preseason that is a first look.
    ​Happy Halloween 2021

DEMPS.....

You pointed out one of our biggest problems last year. WRs that were borderline robotic. Run the route and if the ball doesn't come to you at the assigned place then just stand there and look useless.

I well recall that play by Avant. 2cond game after we got him I think. I was so excited I thought we had gotten ourselves a star. Not because he was a star (he isn't) but because he put in the extra effort to keep a play alive. Just doing that made him look great compared to the rest of our WRs.

In Smith we have a QB that is pretty mobile and can (if the O-line gives him the slightest chance) keep a play alive long enough that if the WRs will use that extra time to try something to get open then an otherwise failed play can turn into a big gain.

With Maclin and Avant we have 2 guys that can show the young kids a LOT that will help make them much more versatile and better receivers. I hope Conley and DAT will pay close attention to Avant and Maclin. With his speed, Conley could turn into a GREAT WR if he learns how to react when Alex runs out of the pocket and starts improvising. Alex can improvise. We need receivers that know how to react when Alex starts improvising. It needs to be almost instinctual.

One of the best ever at escaping a collapsing pocket and improvising was Roger the Dodger. But his receivers KNEW WHAT TO DO when Staubach started improvising. Our receivers (especially the young ones like DAT and Conley) need to be schooled up on what to do once Alex breaks out of the pocket and starts creating time with his legs while he waits for someone to get open.

A good QB that breaks the pocket and becomes a rusher is ALWAYS going to be aware of where the LOS is and will ALWAYS take one more look downfield for an open receiver before he reaches the LOS....unless of course said QB is confident he can get that first down by just running. Alex will never be Staubach but I think he has the skills to be a halfway decent imitation. But he needs to have speedy receivers that know what to do once the QB breaks out of a collapsing pocket.

^^Murray is another such guy with that same potential & maybe the fact that Murray got a TD pass on his 1st throw as a Chief in the last years pre-season might serve as a good omen as for the Chiefs QBOTF.

^^Murray is another such guy with that same potential & maybe the fact that Murray got a TD pass on his 1st throw as a Chief in the last years pre-season might serve as a good omen as for the Chiefs QBOTF.
    I certainly hope so. Most importantly, Dorsey-Reid are CONSTANTLY looking for a prospect to develop--instead of throwing one first round pick after another at guys like Geno Smith....which as most of us recall is exactly what people like Billy-bob wanted us to do in the 2013 draft.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 07-25-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast