Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have we done enough to improve our O-Line?

Default Have we done enough to improve our O-Line?

I think we can all agree that our offense was our downfall last year (injuries too). Our WRs couldn't get the job done and our O-Line had Alex Smith running for his life much of the time. Despite that we still had a winning season and were in the playoff hunt right to the end. Being honest between the loss to the Titans and the damned Raiders we should have been 11-5. But we lost 2 "gimmes".

Our Defense was ranked #7 over all and while I'm not sure where we ranked in points allowed, at something like 17.5 points allowed per game a good argument can be made that last year we had a truly elite Defense....despite all the injuries.

But in the end a Stone Wall as a Defense was NOT ENOUGH. Our Offense just didn't get the job done.

Which brings up the key point.....

Alex Smith is a VERY GOOD QB (I did NOT say "elite") when he has time. But if he is running for his life 2 seconds after the ball is snapped...well....let's just say that under those circumstances he looks pretty mediocre.

So the question is....did we improve our O-line enough to make a difference this year?

Fanaika probably helped a bit, but I'm not at all sure he is a "difference-maker". An improvement? Yes. But being honest, he ain't no superstar.

Then there is Grubbs. He is no "young buck" any more, but no doubt in my mind he is a HUGE improvement. I think having him on the left side along with Fisher will help Smith's weak side A LOT.

We lost Hudson and I have no clue if Kush will be good enough at center.

You can never have "too good" an O-line, but did we improve our O-line enough to make a difference over last year?

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 07-21-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I certainly hope so. Most importantly, Dorsey-Reid are CONSTANTLY looking for a prospect to develop--instead of throwing one first round pick after another at guys like Geno Smith....which as most of us recall is exactly what people like Billy-bob wanted us to do in the 2013 draft.
    Consider that they DIDN'T take a QB in the 2015, nor sign one in FA, tells me they have hopes for Murray.

No matter what line we play with it's going to be rough for the first few weeks until they get used to playing together

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Consider that they DIDN'T take a QB in the 2015, nor sign one in FA, tells me they have hopes for Murray.
    Bray's still in the mix, too.

It was reported that at camp today the starting 5 were Fisher-Grubbs-Kush-Allen-Stephenson. Depending on how well Allen and Stephenson hold down the right side, that already looks like an improvement over last year. Plus, they have better depth this season, without question.

Time will tell, but Fulton could be the odd man out when it gets down to the final 53.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 08-01-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Thank you for the updated info! As we have discussed in other threads it looks as if the success of the O-line will hinge on how good or bad the right side is. That could be OK for passes out of the pocket. It could be a problem if Smith scrambles as his inclination will be to scramble to his strong (right) side.

I'm worried about the right side of the O-line.

Terez Paylor of the KC Star said the 1st team o-line today was Fisher-Grubbs-Kush-Allen-Stephenson

Thank you for the updated info! As we have discussed in other threads it looks as if the success of the O-line will hinge on how good or bad the right side is. That could be OK for passes out of the pocket. It could be a problem if Smith scrambles as his inclination will be to scramble to his strong (right) side.

I'm worried about the right side of the O-line.
    It's make or break time this year for both Allen and Stephenson. Allen needs to improve at RG over what he showed as a LG, as he was barely adequate. Stephenson just needs to pick up where he left off in 2013 and continue his development.

Time will tell, but I believe LDT sticks as the successor to Grubbs at LG.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It's make or break time this year for both Allen and Stephenson. Allen needs to improve at RG over what he showed as a LG, as he was barely adequate. Stephenson just needs to pick up where he left off in 2013 and continue his development.

Time will tell, but I believe LDT sticks as the successor to Grubbs at LG.
    Yeah....Our O-line is not a "stonewall" but if the right side can be even average then I think we could be in decent shape this year.

Yeah....Our O-line is not a "stonewall" but if the right side can be even average then I think we could be in decent shape this year.
    If Allen struggles at RG, then I wouldn't be surprised to see either Morse or Fanaika take his place by mid-season.

Read a report that rg fanika is on the bubble to make the team. Said hes running with the 3rd string. Think it was adam teicher that said it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast