Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith vs. Russell Wilson. Let's compare.

Default Alex Smith vs. Russell Wilson. Let's compare.

These Alex Smith threads usually annoy me, but I'm always willing to listen to a real Chiefs fan rather than some random Smith-hating troll.

So I had a little time on my hands and decided to see how one of the most successful QBs these last 3 years compares with Alex Smith.

I'm not saying this "proves" anything and I don't expect to change anybody's "opinion" but hey.....Wilson has 3 years in the NFL and he has a pretty impressive record. 5 playoff wins. 2 Super Bowl appearances. 1 Super Bowl win. NOBODY is going to say that is not impressive.....RIGHT??????

So Wilson must be HUGELY BETTER than Alex Smith.....RIGHT??????

LET'S LOOK AND SEE.....

I'm only going to compare 2013 and 2014 because Alex was with the 9ers in 2012 and only played 10 games that year...But for the Smith-haters, please be aware that Alex's per game numbers were pretty similar in the 10 games he played in 2012 to the 2 years he played in KC.

I'm not good at putting charts and graphs on bulletin boards like this but I'll do my best. Wilson is in black. Alex is in (red).

Attempts.....completions....% complete...yards.............avg completion....yds / game...TDs ......INT...sack.....

407-(508).....257-(308)....63.1%-(60.6)..3357-(3313).......8.2-(6.5)........209.8-(220.9)..26-(23)..9-(7).44-(33)

452-(464)...285-(303).....63.1-(65.3)....3475-(3265).......7.7-(7.0).......217.2-(217.7)...20-(17)..7-(6?).42-(45)

FULL DISCLOSURE......All above numbers are from nfl.com. There is a "?" after Alex's # of interceptions in 2014 because my memory is that he had 7 ints last year, not 6.

So what does all this tell us????.....

First off, there is ONLY one stat where Wilson is vastly better than Alex and that is yards per completion. But is anybody REALLY SURPRISED???? We all know our WRs SUCKED in 2014 and were nothing special in 2013. Reid-Dorsey seem to have taken steps to address that problem.

2cond.....Alex Smith's average completion % is ALMOST IDENTICAL to Wilson.

3rd.....Alex Smith averages MORE yards per game passing than Wilson. (remember, Alex only played 15 games per season these 2 years so while he had substantially fewer yards per season, his yards per GAME averaged more yards per game than Wilson....although only by 5.8 yards per game. Essentially, identical numbers.

4th....Alex averages 0.2 fewer touchdowns per game (1.2 FEWER POINTS PER GAME BY PASSING TOUCHDOWN) than Wilson. IS IT JUST POSSIBLE THAT THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH SECOND RATE WIDE RECEIVERS?????

5th.....Alex Smith averages fewer interceptions per season than Wilson. IS THAT A BAD THING????????? I don't think so.

6th....Alex Smith averages fewer sacks per season than Wilson. IS THAT A BAD THING??????? I don't think so.

CONCLUSION......Alex Smith over the last 2 years has been nearly identical to Russell Wilson (the most successful QB in the NFL those same two years in all stats EXCEPT yards per completion.)

The only nagging area where Alex is not almost a TWIN of Wilson (or slightly better) is yards per completion. And unless my memory has completely failed me I think this has been discussed here at some length and that the general consensus has been that this problem has been a combination of sub-standard wide receivers and a weak offensive line.

SUMMATION....
    The Chiefs CAN win playoff games with Alex Smith at QB. The Chiefs CAN make the Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB. The Chiefs CAN win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB. WHY??? Because his VIRTUAL TWIN in stats has won 5 playoff games, made 2 Super Bowls and won one Super Bowl in the last 3 years.

ALEX NEEDS BETTER WIDE RECEIVERS AND A BETTER OFFENSIVE LINE. HAVE WE DONE ENOUGH IN THOSE TWO AREAS? I DON'T KNOW. BUT I DO KNOW THAT ALEX CAN TAKE US WHERE WE WANT TO GO IF WE WILL GIVE HIM THE TOOLS HE NEEDS.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 07-31-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    So unless I have misunderstood your post, you agree that Alex is perfectly capable of winning some playoff games and a Super Bowl IF WE PUT THE RIGHT TEAM AROUND HIM. Have I got that right??? Just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding your post.
    If dilfer can win one, why can't Alex, but that's A LOT of building around. Joe Namath won one and he's the most overrated qb ever.

Alex has already been on a winning team for a playoff game, so he can't would be false.

It just comes down for me is not seeing a playoff win 21 years but yet still following the same formula that has led us to the 21 years without a playoff win.

If Alex and the chiefs get a playoff win, but nothing else for 6 more years (couple playoff appearance) is that something we as fans should be proud about? The playoff win will be great but after that we would just be the Bengals.

Do I think Alex will get a super bowl with chiefs? Mind says No, but my heart and 8 year old self says yes. Could it happen? Yeah.

It's all opinions and once the seasons over we'll start this debate all over again. Anyone who isn't an Alex fan will be just excited as Alex supporters if they win the super bowl, doesn't make them less of a fan, imo

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    And my day is ruined with the news about rowdy roddy piper
    Mine to :(

If dilfer can win one, why can't Alex, but that's A LOT of building around. Joe Namath won one and he's the most overrated qb ever.

Alex has already been on a winning team for a playoff game, so he can't would be false.

It just comes down for me is not seeing a playoff win 21 years but yet still following the same formula that has led us to the 21 years without a playoff win.

If Alex and the chiefs get a playoff win, but nothing else for 6 more years (couple playoff appearance) is that something we as fans should be proud about? The playoff win will be great but after that we would just be the Bengals.

Do I think Alex will get a super bowl with chiefs? Mind says No, but my heart and 8 year old self says yes. Could it happen? Yeah.

It's all opinions and once the seasons over we'll start this debate all over again. Anyone who isn't an Alex fan will be just excited as Alex supporters if they win the super bowl, doesn't make them less of a fan, imo
    Pretty much agree with most your post.

Right now I would kill to have JUST 1 FREAKING PLAYOFF WIN. JUST 1 after I get that you're damn right I will want anther but it starts with getting the 1.

About the last part. Those who I've refered to as Smith haters Please no I don't think they are less of a Chiefs fans. I just think that since they did not approve of Smith as the QB he will always be the scapegoat. I do back to after the 2013 playoff loss (the most painful one of them all for me) Many wanted Bob Sutton gone. I said I can't blame him for the problems this team has had before he got to KC. It's just not my outlook for QB it's my view overall. And I feel the same way about Alex. Most the problems we have seen have been problems LONG before Alex was in KC. So how can I blame him for that? It's not a personal like for Alex. It's just how I look at things. I'm never going to tell you the line "alex seems like a good guy" For all I no after a game he goes home kicks his dog beats his wife or does one of the many other things athletes do these days that is far far to common. But I'm also not going to make him the scapegoat and will continue to stick up for him or any other QB when I feel that's what's being done. I also as I've done with Alex am willing to call him out on things he needs to be called on Like this

Regarding the Wilson thing. I think a large difference is Wilson is a bit better of picking and choseing when he's going to take risk. One think That I do agree with Alex Smith critics is that Alex can play it to safe and that can hurt at times. Wilson seems to be a tad more willing to take a gamble here or there and those can be the key plays in the game at time. I hope Reid can break Alex of it. But to me that's just something Wilson has done better
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

^^Matt, as for Alex "taking more risks", you know full well if risk-taking leads to the Chiefs losing a post-season game in the manner that the Hawks lost the last SB, then Alex will get crucified by Chiefs fans, whereas Hawks fans are much more forgiving towards Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ^^Matt, as for Alex "taking more risks", you know full well if risk-taking leads to the Chiefs losing a post-season game in the manner that the Hawks lost the last SB, then Alex will get crucified by Chiefs fans, whereas Hawks fans are much more forgiving towards Wilson.

Thought it was dumb at first (SB play), but after thinking about it, Pats were ready for a run, Lynch isn't money with yard to gain or to get one 1 yard TD. They've done that play before with success. NE DB just made a very good play. I also think Reid or the OC would get more flack than alex (just like the HC or OC did over wlison after the super bowl).

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I don't want him getting Careless at all. But I do think he can turn up the aggression a bit. I think it would be helpful to the offense. But I would agree I don't want him just taking chances to say he took a chance
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Regarding the Wilson thing. I think a large difference is Wilson is a bit better of picking and choseing when he's going to take risk. One think That I do agree with Alex Smith critics is that Alex can play it to safe and that can hurt at times. Wilson seems to be a tad more willing to take a gamble here or there and those can be the key plays in the game at time. I hope Reid can break Alex of it. But to me that's just something Wilson has done better
    A game i can look at and ask would Alex do the same is the past NFC championship game. Wilson was picked 4 times and i think he was picked off evertime he threw to ...kearse? He went to kearse for a 5th time to win the game. Do you think Alex would make that decision or would the coaches allow him to make that decision

but maybe alex doesn't allow 4 INTs to happen.

If dilfer can win one, why can't Alex
    COULDN'T AGREE MORE! After all Dilfer's % completion average was 55%. 20% WORSE than Alex. He NEVER exceeded 59.8% in a season. He NEVER exceeded 2,900 yards in a season. He never exceeded 21 TDs in a season. He averaged 9 TDs per season and 1.15 TDs per game. He averaged 9.2 INTs per season and 1 INT per game. Career-wide Dilfer averaged 6.5 yards per completion. His best year was 8.3 yards per completion and he NEVER had another year where he averaged over 7.1 yards per completion. His BEST year he averaged 211 yards per game and in 14 years NEVER had another year where he exceeded 197 average yards per game. His average was UNDER 160 yards per game. So yeah...If Dilfer can win a Super Bowl so can Alex. But look at the numbers. Dilfer makes Alex look like the second coming of Joe Montana. Dilfer sucked dong and did throughout his career. His very best 16 game season he averaged less than 179 yards per game. THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO.

So Alex didn't win a playoff game in just 2 years with the chiefs so he is not good enough....Is that it? You have a very short attention span.

Fair enough. But do you have a crystal ball? Mine is broken. I don't even know if Alex will break the curse. He's done pretty good so far and I think he deserves our support until he PROVES he is just Trent Dilfer....which all stats show he isn't.

OF COURSE. The "odds" are against his winning us a Super Bowl. But y'know, Manning hasn't nothched any Super Bowl wins with the Donkeys either. Do you think he would have here in KC????? I don't.

It's all opinions and once the seasons over we'll start this debate all over again.
    That goes without saying. Arguing about QBs may be the second oldest profession. All things considered, I prefer the older one. At least I get some benefit from that one.

Anyone who isn't an Alex fan will be just excited as Alex supporters if they win the super bowl, doesn't make them less of a fan, imo
    Actually, IMO there are some people kicking around that are more wrapped up in the idea that Alex sucks than they actually care about the Chiefs. But that is just my opinion and I don't include you amongst them.

COULDN'T AGREE MORE! After all Dilfer's % completion average was 55%. 20% WORSE than Alex. He NEVER exceeded 59.8% in a season. He NEVER exceeded 2,900 yards in a season. He never exceeded 21 TDs in a season. He averaged 9 TDs per season and 1.15 TDs per game. He averaged 9.2 INTs per season and 1 INT per game. Career-wide Dilfer averaged 6.5 yards per completion. His best year was 8.3 yards per completion and he NEVER had another year where he averaged over 7.1 yards per completion. His BEST year he averaged 211 yards per game and in 14 years NEVER had another year where he exceeded 197 average yards per game. His average was UNDER 160 yards per game. So yeah...If Dilfer can win a Super Bowl so can Alex. But look at the numbers. Dilfer makes Alex look like the second coming of Joe Montana. Dilfer sucked dong and did throughout his career. His very best 16 game season he averaged less than 179 yards per game. THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO.

It was more about that you'd have to build a great defense around Alex to win and that If Dilfer can win, A lot QBs can win because he may be the worse QB to win a SB. Alex is probably better than Dilfer, Namath, the dude who was the QB for the Bucs, Jim Mcmahon, and probably Terry Bradshaw.

So Alex didn't win a playoff game in just 2 years with the chiefs so he is not good enough....Is that it? You have a very short attention span.
    ? Not really sure where this came from sounds very mean spirited. past 21 years we got 1 QB from the draft to try on offense and that was Brodie Croyle. Trent green was getting old and injuries and we really didn't have a back up plan, just had another FA signed in Huard and put him in. Then we drafted a QB in the 3rd round (brodie Croyle) then signed more FA. Murray is HOPEFULLY next in line and can jump and lead the team.

Alex is the QB and there is nothing else i can do to change that. But could you imagine this place with just a circlejerk mentality? The chiefs subreddit is like that (because they can downvote other posters with unpopular opinions) and it is just terrible.

Fair enough. But do you have a crystal ball? Mine is broken. I don't even know if Alex will break the curse. He's done pretty good so far and I think he deserves our support until he PROVES he is just Trent Dilfer....which all stats show he isn't.
    Oh i have one but it only predicts the past :) I support the Chiefs, i may not like how they went about getting it done, but they got it done. I show up to a local bar and get the chiefs on tv and support the team. The Trent Dilfer statement was more of a "if this guy can win a super bowl, a majority of QBs can win" Trent Needed a defense that was AMAZING to help him win, Alex needs a great Defense to help him out, Alex won't win you games but he isn't going to lose em for you.

OF COURSE. The "odds" are against his winning us a Super Bowl. But y'know, Manning hasn't nothched any Super Bowl wins with the Donkeys either. Do you think he would have here in KC????? I don't.
    Manning on Broncos - People said super bowl or bust
    If manning was on the chiefs it would be "can he finally give them that playoff win" it would be two different goals (AFC title and then Super bowl would be the next goals if the playoff win happen)

That goes without saying. Arguing about QBs may be the second oldest profession. All things considered, I prefer the older one. At least I get some benefit from that one.
    If it works people will say i told you so, if it doesn't work people will say i told you so.

Actually, IMO there are some people kicking around that are more wrapped up in the idea that Alex sucks than they actually care about the Chiefs. But that is just my opinion an.d I don't include you amongst them
    Stevie Ray and MMO/H don't hate the QBs, they hate how the FO is moving forward, they rather see drafting a QB and build around him and groom him, they've seen the years of just FA over and over. You either get Montana and 4 super bowls or you get Cleveland Browns and you have 20 QBs coming in and out. You win by having the best qb or stopping the qb.

But again that is your opinion.

? Not really sure where this came from sounds very mean spirited.
    You're right. I was feeling ornery and I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    You're right. I was feeling ornery and I apologize.

It's okay, we cool

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast