Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My thought while attending practice today

Default My thought while attending practice today

Kush took some snaps at center but mainly it was Morse he did good but while watching him I noticed he is not very thick in any particular part of his body.

2. Fisher looked off today he got pushed back on at least 3 snaps and got his *** whipped on all three snaps.

3. Zach Fulton was the RG and Allen was at RT while Stevenson was the swing, however I kinda like the Fisher, Grubbs, Kush, Allen Stevenson line the best more power with those five, Stevenson looked like he had his old power back.

4. They limited Charles in his snaps only got 7-8 snaps in total and they were split half and half running and catching dunks

5. Kelce looked his usuall self and mowed people over down the center.

6. Wilson, DAT, And Maclin had really nice plays Maclin is better than advertised, he caught a really sweet ball on the sideline for 25.

7. Only a handful of passes mainly just handoffs to Knile, Charles and West or passes to said three, West definitely impressed me with his speed and route running and very elusive.

8. Peters is gonna be awesome he had 2 picks and was all over the damn field today very impressive.

If anyone has a certain player they want to ask about fire away

Andy Reid had said todays O-Line starters were Fisher-Grubbs-Morse-Fulton-Allen. Not set in stone, but it could be the "best five" on opening day.

That has been the line for the 3rd practice in a row

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Andy Reid had said todays O-Line starters were Fisher-Grubbs-Morse-Fulton-Allen. Not set in stone, but it could be the "best five" on opening day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    That has been the line for the 3rd practice in a row
    Reid said:

"“This group seems to be working well together and we're happy with it so far. Again, we'll just see. We're going to try to play the five best guys.""

From what I hear Stevenson had some struggles and Fulton took his spot from that point on

From what I hear Stevenson had some struggles and Fulton took his spot from that point on
    I think you mean that Allen took Stephenson's spot. Interesting that Morse is ahead of Kush.

If it stays like this Stephenson will be the swing tackle, which we will probably need at some point. Also you were asking me about Nelson.

St. JOSEPH, Mo. – Steven Nelson stands alone on the sideline without a coach in sight long after his teammates have departed the practice field following the Sunday morning training camp workout.

July 29, 2015; St. Joseph, MO; Chiefs cornerback Steven Nelson (20) participate in a practice drill during training camp. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
    The Chiefs rookie cornerback out of Oregon State spends time repeatedly running in and out of a rope ladder with short, choppy steps to improve his footwork before heading to the side to hit the tackling dummy where he works hands, pushing up and against the stationary object.
    Nelson then walks to the middle of field where he crouches in a stance. He begins backpedaling at a fast pace, stopping on a dime, and then darts to his left or right to simulate coverage. He repeats this process over and over until he is satisfied.
    The workout is intense and Nelson, the second of the Chiefs’ two third-round picks in May’s NFL Draft, finishes drenched in sweat.
    But the 5-11, 194-pound Nelson, who started his post-practice routine Saturday, had a simple explanation as to why stays on the field after the rest of the team has hit the showers.
    “I had to take a look at myself,” Nelson said. “I had some things I had to work on. I think preparation prevents piss-poor performance.”
    That is a solid attitude for any professional athlete, but it especially applies to a rookie in the middle of adjusting from outside cornerback to the nickel cornerback position.
    “I never played nickel in college,” Nelson said, “but my ability and skill set to play inside, it’s up to par. It’s just me recognizing different things because nickel and corner are two different things. That’s the hardest part.”
    Nelson said the individual drills he runs through after practice are designed to help him make the transition, mentally and physically.
    The latter certainly applies when considering the nickel cornerback often battles through blockers or natural picks while covering a wide receiver out of the slot.
    “You have to get physical,” Nelson said. “I’m working my game all around. I hate getting beat. Coaches and teammates just tell me to keep my head up, it’s the first I’m doing that (playing nickel cornerback). But the type of person I am – competitive, man – I just got to be on top, so I’m out here doing the hard work.”
    He has the physical tools to play the position, having posted a 4.49 40-yard dash and a respectable 19 bench press repetitions of 225 pounds at February’s NFL Scouting Combine.
    But given he will operate in tight space where possessing fluid lateral movement is at a premium, Nelson has that covered with a 6.88 time in the 3-Cone drill, which ranked as 10th-best among defensive back at the Combine.
    “He’s got great hips,” safety Ron Parker said. “He moves well at the line of scrimmage and he has that dog in him, he’s got that fight in him. As a group, that’s what you like to see coming from a young rookie. He’s out there working hard every day, so he’s just out there getting better.”
    Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton agreed.
    “He’s got a lot of the qualities you look for in a nickel,” Sutton said Sunday. “He’s got good strength in there, good quickness. I think he’s going to be a good blitzer as well in there. He’s really a competitive guy, I love his competitiveness.”
    Aug. 4, 2015; St. Joseph, MO: Chiefs cornerback Steven Nelson (20) on the field going through drills during training camp. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)
    There is a learning curve for Nelson, however, and Sutton understands there will be growing pains.
    “I just think you have to learn that position, that’s kind of like being a slot receiver,” Sutton said. “It’s a unique position based on where you’re aligned and how you have to cover different routes, so there’s a lot of knowledge that you need to gain and experiences you need to really play that thing efficiently. He played it a lot better today. I thought he had a really good day out there.”
    The Chiefs chose to not re-sign cornerback Chris Owens, who manned the nickel cornerback position in 2014, and the spot is open for the taking.
    But Nelson hasn’t seen action with the first-team defense like fellow rookie cornerback Marcus Peters has. And the Chiefs’ nickel package throughout training camp has Peters at left cornerback, Phillip Gaines at nickel and Sean Smith at right cornerback.
    Nelson experiences a majority of his practice repetitions with the second-team unit through eight training camp practices, but a willing helping hand is never too far from reach.
    “Sean has taken me under his wing, alerting me to certain situations, splits on the field and making sure I’m up on my toes,” Nelson said. “Ron helps me a lot, all those guys, whenever I need help. If I see one of them, I won’t be afraid to ask because I don’t want to be wrong.”
    Nelson said he watches a lot of film with coaches and fellow defensive backs, and hasn’t had a problem picking up the scheme.
    For Nelson, it becomes a matter of applying what he has learned to the football field.
    “It’s just getting out there and getting the reps,” he said. “Like I said, the nickel is way different than corner. It’s one of those things where you have to be patient and it will come over time.”
    In the meantime, observers hanging around after the players have headed up the hill at the conclusion of practice aren’t likely to miss Nelson on the field.
    Nelson said he doesn’t know if the coaching staff is aware he stays behind to put in extra work, but he doesn’t do it with hopes of impressing others.
    The 21-year-old Nelson works alone with a goal to improve his craft.
    “I’m just being me,” he said. “I’m sure some of them probably took notice or whatever. I hate getting beat. That’s not the type of person I am. I want to be playing at a high level, so I got to make sure I’m getting the work in.”

I don't know about you guys but with this workethic I'm gonna like this kid
    Last edited by Chiefs4life24; 08-10-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Who is likely to fill in for Smith during his suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Who is likely to fill in for Smith during his suspension?
    I would believe it will be Peters.

If it stays like this Stephenson will be the swing tackle, which we will probably need at some point. Also you were asking me about Nelson.

St. JOSEPH, Mo. – Steven Nelson
    -- encouraging notes

I don't know about you guys but with this work ethic I'm gonna like this kid
    Yes, I do like his dedication. This guy is a better prospect than Javier Arenas was in 2010.

And I hope Nelson KO's any Donkey's receiver that tries one of those illegal pick plays on him.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 08-11-2015 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I said if Fisher "doesn't have a good season" -- meaning if he regresses from last year. BTW, Albert gave up 9 sacks in his last 5 starts in his 3rd season in 2010 <-- that type of regression is what I'm referring to. Personally, I don't believe that will happen with Fisher in year, but IF it does then we can label him as a "not very good LT"

And CL4 didn't say he was "getting beat by ALL D-Lineman".

The problem here is too many are holding Fisher to a different standard than Albert, whereas I'm holding both players to the same standard.
    Your right, he didn't say by all Lineman, but you questioned if it was Hali or Houston to justify him getting beat. The fact he is getting beat by back ups which Catapano is.. translated by me into the the average defensive lineman on the Chiefs roster as a whole. Not the best of the defensive line.

You are right I am holding Fisher at a higher standard over Albert. Albert wasn't even the first player we picked in the draft yet alone the very first player taken in the entire draft. Albert was a guard converted to LT. And I am glad Glass Albert is gone so comparing him to Albert is too low of a standard for the #1 over all pick. At this point in time he should be dominating everyone.

Again, I am excited he worked on punching all off season, and maybe it was just a bad day at the office. But it is still a concern. I am not labeling him as a complete bust, but so far based on what we have seen he is a bust based on where he was picked.

It is also a concern that Donald Stephenson appears to be a swing tackle at this point and can't lock down the RT position.

So what is the chances the Nelso kid is wearing himself out.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast