Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The state ofAlex Smith

Default The state ofAlex Smith

Alex, as evident in the first two preseason games, needs to pick it up. Usually at this time of the preseason offenses are behind defenses, but that's the only benefit of the doubt I am going to give him. I think stuff are happening in his head that are worrisome to me:

A) He has absolutely no trust in the O-line and loses concentration as a result.

B) The addition of Maclin and the new expectation of long balls (not his bread and butter) is putting a lot of pressure on him.

C) Both of the above.

D) It is preseason. a extra choice is needed here. (this was added by me tornadospotter)

I'm a bit concerned that he might revert back to his pre-Harbaugh years.

What do you think? A, B, or C?
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 08-28-2015 at 12:14 AM.

It isn't the state of Alex Smith. It's the state of "pass-happy" play calling that concerns me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It isn't the state of Alex Smith. It's the state of "pass-happy" play calling that concerns me the most.
    That is always a worry with Reid. Our Chiefs have almost always been a "run first" team and we fans tend to expect that, but looking at the stats from last nights game I am seeing 30 passing attempts and 29 rushing attempts. So overall the run vs. pass play distribution was pretty good especially considering JC had no carries. Clearly Reid is trying to protect Charles from the possibility of being injured in pre-season.

Alex had 18 pass attempts to Daniel's 12 attempts. So Smith passed more as a % of plays than Daniel. I'm inclined to believe that was more a matter of Reid trying to "push" Alex a bit rather than Reid going "pass happy". We have to remember that Reid plays his cards very close to the vest and is borderline paranoid about giving out information about his scheme during pre-season. He doesn't want teams learning much from studying film from the pre-season.

I think it goes without saying that there will be a game or two where Reid goes "pass happy" this season but I am not too worried about it in pre-season.

What worries me more is the O-line. But as you said, Fisher was out so the O-line was reshuffled. So maybe that will turn out OK. But "pending further review" I think that our single weakness now is O-line.

if our oline keeps getting destroyed u can expect to throw alot especially if Charles is getting stuffed in the backfield. thats the only reason were forced to be pass happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    majority of those sacks were on the o-line Peyton would've had no chance with some of those
    Nonsense. Absolute rubbish!

Smith is a slow read, and gets happy feet. He false steps and flees the pocket unnecessarily. He holds the ball, takes his eyes off downfield, and looks for somewhere to run. No offensive line is going to look good playing in front of him. I'm sorry.

He is not taking any more pressure than any other QB. He just does not make quick enough decisions with the ball. It's the NFL, and the game is a little too fast for him at times. He's a backup QB looking for somewhere to happen. That's not "hate", that's my honest and objective evaluation of him in watching his skills play out over the entirety of his career.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Yup most of those sacks are on the o line. Very worry some because that is not the easiest position to solitify.
    You want a prime example as to why Smith gets sacked so much? Take a look at the 2nd play of last night's game. If you have the game DVR'd, they showed an endzone shot of the play on the broadcast.

It was a playaction fake. Smith got time in the pocket, and Travis Kelce is wide open on a short flag route. Smith did not read the defense quickly enough, held onto the ball, and took a sack. That ball has to come out of his hands before Kelce breaks his route to the outside. If Smith lets that ball go on time, it's an easy 10 yard catch, and likely room to run after the catch.

But who looks bad on the surface? The offensive line. That's not on them, that's on the QB. Smith is simply a slow read. From a perception standpoint, his Oline will suffer. It's been that way his entire career.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

They Were in the backfield as soon as he snapped the ball MORON, you could not do any better for sure. You have major problems, their is not as not been any other QB for us to get that's worth a damn, Your narrow sightedness and inability too listen to anyone is why nobody wants you here

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty chief View Post
    if our oline keeps getting destroyed u can expect to throw alot especially if Charles is getting stuffed in the backfield. thats the only reason were forced to be pass happy.
    Already the offensive line is being used an excuse. Really? That has to get old at some point.

By the way, Stephenson is a better LT than Fisher. It's plain as day, at least to me. Reid won't make the switch because of what they have invested in Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    You want a prime example as to why Smith gets sacked so much? Take a look at the 2nd play of last night's game. If you have the game DVR'd, they showed an endzone shot of the play on the broadcast.

It was a playaction fake. Smith got time in the pocket, and Travis Kelce is wide open on a short flag route. Smith did not read the defense quickly enough, held onto the ball, and took a sack. That ball has to come out of his hands before Kelce breaks his route to the outside. If Smith lets that ball go on time, it's an easy 10 yard catch, and likely room to run after the catch.

But who looks bad on the surface? The offensive line. That's not on them, that's on the QB. Smith is simply a slow read. From a perception standpoint, his Oline will suffer. It's been that way his entire career.
    For once you post an intelligent comment. I missed the game 'cause I was working and I don't own a TV. How about posting a vid of the play you just spoke of? I generally don't agree with your opinion of Alex, but others whose opinion I do respect made some comments after yesterdays game that were disturbingly similar to comments about Cassel during 2012.

Show me this play you spoke of and you may start to change my opinion of Alex.

this I a highlight video CT sorry the only one I can find right now I will look for more, looks like it was on the o-line to me I counted to 2.5 - 3 on a couple of those and they were in the backfield

Thanks C4l!!!!! I have to run to work now, but I'll watch it when I get back. Do you know if the above highlights film includes the play Billy-bob spoke of? Everybody knows I am NOT a Smith-hater, but Billy-bob for once made a comment that I am willing to pay attention to. I'm not dumb enough to think I know everything. If someone makes an intelligent comment that goes against what I believe I will pay attention to what they say....even Billy-bob. So I really want to see and analyze the play he spoke of so that I can form my own opinion.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast