Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The state ofAlex Smith

Default The state ofAlex Smith

Alex, as evident in the first two preseason games, needs to pick it up. Usually at this time of the preseason offenses are behind defenses, but that's the only benefit of the doubt I am going to give him. I think stuff are happening in his head that are worrisome to me:

A) He has absolutely no trust in the O-line and loses concentration as a result.

B) The addition of Maclin and the new expectation of long balls (not his bread and butter) is putting a lot of pressure on him.

C) Both of the above.

D) It is preseason. a extra choice is needed here. (this was added by me tornadospotter)

I'm a bit concerned that he might revert back to his pre-Harbaugh years.

What do you think? A, B, or C?
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 08-28-2015 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    By the way, what other board are you referring to? Or is that a secret? lol
    There's a Stevie Ray on Chiefs Planet. How many of you can there be?

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Not only did Len Dawson say it, but Trent Green also said Smith had no outlet on the play.
    Green is referring to routes, as in there is no short route for Smith to dump off to. He's saying that everyone is running deeper patterns and the Chiefs were looking to push the ball up the field. He's not saying that Smith didn't have an outlet as if he didn't have anywhere to go with the ball. Just for clarification.

It does take about 4 seconds for Alex to plant his feet. Just before he's ready, he's sacked.
    He planted his feet and should've gotten rid of the ball before 4 seconds, but yes, it was about 4 seconds from the snap of the ball to the point he was sacked - just as I posted. Someone said that he was sacked 1 second after the ball was snapped. Hmmm ....
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 08-23-2015 at 01:56 AM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Frankenchief......

I couldn't either. HELL!!!! I'm too damned "tech-dumb" to use a smart phone. But my point is this....Billy-bob made a statement and challenged us all to use our DVR to see proof.

I hope I haven't offended you. Between some bad ship at work tonight and Billy-bob I am just about wore to my last nerve.
    LOL. No I wasn't offended. Why would I be? I just wish I knew of a software that I could use to isolate a short video segment from a longer one.

ANYONE?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    There's actually two Stevie Rays on Chiefs Planet, one "Stevie Ray" and another "Stevieray". The first barely has any posts and the other has well over 39 thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    I signed up on Chiefs Planet several years ago, but I don't think I've ever posted there. Certainly not much if I have.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

But the reason why it falls on the O-line is this: Watch what happens with the center, #61. He runs off to the right, finds he has nobody to block, then tries to double back (by which time against the Seahawks' D-line it's too late.)
    That's because Morse (#61) reads overload to the right side and knows the TE (Oshaunessy - sp?) is isolated 1 on 1 with the DE. The guy that is lost on the play is #74. He has no one to block because the man he was responsible for faked the blitz and then dropped back into coverage. #61 did exactly as he should on the play.

We can credit Seattle with a good defensive playcall, but at the same time, Smith has to read the defense and get the ball out of his hand. He had time and Kelce was open. Of course on the surface it just looks bad for the Oline, but if that's Manning, Brady, Brees, or any QB with solid pocket skills, that's a big play instead of a sack. A QB with good pocket skills makes the defense pay on that play.

Kelce will get touted as the option, but by that time the Seahawks D-lineman was right in the throwing lane and could've batted it down or worse.
    Not if Smith makes the right read and delivers the ball on time right after the last step of his drop. He had a moment of indecision, and in the NFL, that's all it takes. It's the difference between positive gains and trouble.

Anyway, I'm glad that you have the game recorded. I enjoy doing film study and analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    See my above post. Both Len Dawson and Kendall Gammon called out the O-Line on that play, and yet Stephanie Rae Jean tries to sell us:

Stephanie Rae Jean is both sorry and WRONG!! That play WAS clearly on the O-Line. Stephanie Rae Jean is being blatantly and stupidly BLIND!! I gave a detailed description of LDT getting beat to the inside by Mebane and that Morse had vacated the middle and pulled out to the right, which Stephanie Rae Jean hasn't accounted for, as of yet.
    Demps.....

You know me. If I am wrong, I will fess up. Billy-bob made a claim about a specific play and challenged us all to check our DVR. I don't have one, so I challenged him to post up the vid he referenced. He hasn't. So it boiled down to it's just his opinion....And you know something....I've been here maybe 4 or 5 years talking to guys like you and the other "regulars" and I've learned a lot from y'all. I know more about football than I did when I first signed up here. If Billy-bob wants me to believe him he's going to have to show some proof....especially the video proof he said we all should have.

NO SIR! I don't trust Billy-bob worth a damn. He is a troll, liar and puff artist. But I am frustrated with Alex and if Billy-bob can show us some real facts on video then I'll listen to him with an open mind....'cause y'know I don't know everything like I did when I was in my 20s and 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Great and correct assessment, Dougster & yes, I still have my full NFL Gamepass subscription. What you pointed out about Morse pulling out to the right is what I pointed out also right from the get-go & Stephanie Rae Jean still hasn't given any account for that, but instead tries to sell us:
    Lol you're clueless, and trying way too hard.

Are you seriously this discombobulated over the idea that I think less of Smith than you do. Geeez, have a snickers.

brdempsey69, I mostly agree with your assessment. But we can't redirect ALL of the blame from Alex either. If, as Dougster pointed out, there was 4 seconds time for him he should have at least thrown away the ball. Now when I remember that play it seems there was a rather immediate avalanche of defenders burying Alex, but I'll take Dougsters word for it. I can only hope Alex's lack of judgement was because of the daze from the previous play.

There's actually two Stevie Rays on Chiefs Planet, one "Stevie Ray" and another "Stevieray". The first barely has any posts and the other has well over 39 thousand.
    My bad then. I stand corrected. The other Stevieray and I have had some doozies.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast