Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The state ofAlex Smith

Default The state ofAlex Smith

Alex, as evident in the first two preseason games, needs to pick it up. Usually at this time of the preseason offenses are behind defenses, but that's the only benefit of the doubt I am going to give him. I think stuff are happening in his head that are worrisome to me:

A) He has absolutely no trust in the O-line and loses concentration as a result.

B) The addition of Maclin and the new expectation of long balls (not his bread and butter) is putting a lot of pressure on him.

C) Both of the above.

D) It is preseason. a extra choice is needed here. (this was added by me tornadospotter)

I'm a bit concerned that he might revert back to his pre-Harbaugh years.

What do you think? A, B, or C?
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 08-28-2015 at 12:14 AM.

It does show a nice throw down the middle to Kelce

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    For once you post an intelligent comment. I missed the game 'cause I was working and I don't own a TV. How about posting a vid of the play you just spoke of? I generally don't agree with your opinion of Alex, but others whose opinion I do respect made some comments after yesterdays game that were disturbingly similar to comments about Cassel during 2012.

Show me this play you spoke of and you may start to change my opinion of Alex.
    That is not at all an accurate description of that play given by him, CT. Smith's first read was to look deep to the left on the play and then check down to Kelce, and Smith had 1 second in the pocket before the dam broke with pressure coming straight up the middle. His description of "time in the pocket" is pure bunk. The dam broke way too soon on that play. I counted exactly 1 second from the time Smith turned to look upfield before the pressure came. What Stephanie Rae Jean doesn't tell you is that play was one where Smith took the snap from under Center, not a shotgun snap. The pass protection has to hold up longer than what it did on a play like that, or any QB is going to get sacked. Another thing that he doesn't tell you is that Morse pulled to his right to the outside on the play and vacated the middle & they'd have been better served to have Morse stay at home in the middle on that play.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 08-22-2015 at 03:57 PM.

The Alex holds on to the ball to long has been something that is a legit criticism at times

But anyone who thinks the play of the o line was acceptable last night is just out of there mind.

That all being said IT'S PRESEASON folks

Raise your hand if you think when games matter a healthy Jamal Charles will get 0 carries and 3 touches total in 2 games. The fact is what we are seeing is NOT the offense we will see in the real season. So you have to take these things into account as well.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Matt, if you look at the TD drive, the protection was fair on that drive. On the pass-play to Kelce, it was a 5 step drop with Smith taking the snap from under Center. The protection was good on that play and gave Smith time to find an open Kelce.

You are right, the O-Line play MUST improve or the Offense will struggle and of course people will put all the blame on Alex.

They had some good moments but overall is what I was talking about. That level of play can not happen it just can't. Not only the pass blocking but the run blocking was horrible. There was a time Davis had 3 guys around him as soon as he got the ball. that just can't happen
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    They had some good moments but overall is what I was talking about. That level of play can not happen it just can't. Not only the pass blocking but the run blocking was horrible. There was a time Davis had 3 guys around him as soon as he got the ball. that just can't happen
    ^^ this. who u going to blame Stevie ray the RB?? games are won and lost at the line. i don't really read into this game seeing how both starters on the line were out, however the 1's held their own at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    You want a prime example as to why Smith gets sacked so much? Take a look at the 2nd play of last night's game. If you have the game DVR'd, they showed an endzone shot of the play on the broadcast.

It was a playaction fake. Smith got time in the pocket, and Travis Kelce is wide open on a short flag route. Smith did not read the defense quickly enough, held onto the ball, and took a sack. That ball has to come out of his hands before Kelce breaks his route to the outside. If Smith lets that ball go on time, it's an easy 10 yard catch, and likely room to run after the catch.

But who looks bad on the surface? The offensive line. That's not on them, that's on the QB. Smith is simply a slow read. From a perception standpoint, his Oline will suffer. It's been that way his entire career.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That is not at all an accurate description of that play given by him, CT. Smith's first read was to look deep to the left on the play and then check down to Kelce, and Smith had 1 second in the pocket before the dam broke with pressure coming straight up the middle. His description of "time in the pocket" is pure bunk. The dam broke way too soon on that play. I counted exactly 1 second from the time Smith turned to look upfield before the pressure came. What Stephanie Rae Jean doesn't tell you is that play was one where Smith took the snap from under Center, not a shotgun snap. The pass protection has to hold up longer than what it did on a play like that, or any QB is going to get sacked. Another thing that he doesn't tell you is that Morse pulled to his right to the outside on the play and vacated the middle & they'd have been better served to have Morse stay at home in the middle on that play.
    One guy that "is a smith hater" and one guy that is a "smith defender"

I guess one of you will have to post the play and show who is right

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    One guy that "is a smith hater" and one guy that is a "smith defender"

I guess one of you will have to post the play and show who is right
    Wrong assessment. It's not "defending Smith", as you say. It's an accurate description of the play and what went wrong. Smith's pick-six was a bad decision by Smith throwing into a crowded area & Smith would have been better served to throw it away or scramble on that play.

It is about just trying to stay calm. And trying to just really not hurry for him.
    ​Happy Halloween 2021

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Wrong assessment. It's not "defending Smith", as you say. It's an accurate description of the play and what went wrong. Smith's pick-six was a bad decision by Smith throwing into a crowded area & Smith would have been better served to throw it away or scramble on that play.
    If it accurate, post a video stevie could say his an accurate description as well

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast