Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evan Mathis

Default Evan Mathis

Should we sign him?

No idea how much he wants, but it is tempting. The big concern this late in the season is whether he will have time to learn the offense. Granted he played under Reid before, but I'm sure the plays are different enough that one could easily make a mistake from picking up the wrong assignment.

another question is where would you have him play? RG or RT

Mathis' price goes down as each week goes by. So now it's a matter of seeing "how low can you go?".

IMO the thing to do is see what the O-line looks like once Fisher is healthy again and they have played in at least one real game. If with Fisher healthy the O-line still looks like a sieve then it is time for Dorsey to pick up the phone. By then Mathis will be willing to play for cheap on a 1 year contract just to show he still "has what it takes".

Wasn't there a concern that he has been on a steep decline?

He is visiting Seattle today.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Wasn't there a concern that he has been on a steep decline?
    Not sure "steep decline" is quite the right description, but certainly there have been there have been comments about declining skills. IIRC he was let go by the Eagles because he wouldn't take less than $5.5 million per year. But my memory may be faulty.

Our O-line last night was cobbled together as a result of Fisher's sprained ankle, so I think it is too soon to hit the panic button, but was certainly cause for concern.

If our O-line looks terrible in game 1 then I think Dorsey needs to call Mathis' agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    He is visiting Seattle today.
    That sounds odd. It's not like Seattle has big trouble on their O-line.

He's been out a long time. Why hasn't anybody signed him yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    He's been out a long time. Why hasn't anybody signed him yet?
    Im pretty sure he wants more money than people are offering. He was cut well after the FA period and I think even the draft, so any teams that wanted to fill a hole on the line and spend big money doing so already did.

CT is right, he didn't want to play for the $5.5mil that the uggles were offering, so he probably won't sign for anything less than that. I mean, it would suck to get cut because you wouldn't play for $5.5 mil and then sign a contract for $3mil.

He is probably looking for $6.5 mil. I don't think that his price is going down as each week passes. He probably won't accept anything less than his old contract out of pride, which is why he is still available.

When Fisher and Allen come back, I'm assuming our lineup will be Fisher, Grubbs, Morse, Allen, Stephenson. The question is, then, is Mathis $6 million dollars better than Allen at RG, or Stephenson at RT. I doubt he is better than Stephenson at RT since I don't think he has played T in the NFL. Is he better than Allen? Probably. Is he $5-6mil better than Allen? That's what I'm not so sure about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast