Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could Chase Daniel beat out....

Default Could Chase Daniel beat out....

Could Chase Daniel beat out these projected starters - Matt Cassel, RG3, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or, I dare say, Alex Smith?
    I think Chase is ready to start somewhere. And why do you guys think that Chase isn't getting a legit shot to beat out Smith? Money?
    Is Chase the next Big Ben? Aaron Rogers? Who knows. But I will say this:
    Chase Daniel is the best QB on the Chiefs roster. There - I said it. Nothing against Alex - he's ok. But it looks like it's gonna take an injury before Chase gets his shot.
    Flame on!
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    Some people simply do not want to have a real, objective conversation about it. They just wanna hear the sentiment that the Chiefs will be just fine. If you express any doubt or any critique of the QB, I think people automatically hear, "Chiefs will suck this year" in those thoughts instead. From that point on, nothing you say, no matter what facts you present, none of it will register.
    It's not that at all. Some of us are just tired of seeing 1 guy take the fall.

You can question the abilities of any other player, just leave the QB out of it.

And I don't understand it. If the pass offense is the clear weak link with the team, shouldn't the QB be called into question? Shouldn't he be held accountable to it? Shouldn't we discuss possible alternatives? I always thought the goal was to get to a Super Bowl.
    Lots of people have been critical of Smith myself included. However we also don't continue to ignore the piss poor play that this team has fielded around the QB.

If we are looking at the pass offense shouldn't all things be considered? I've pointed out many times this offseasons that the Chiefs WRs in the past 2 years are the ONLY TEAM in the NFL to be in the top 5 in highest dropped pass %. And there was only 1 team was in the top 10 the past 2 years. This has been called an "excuse" or "dodge" but why do we ignore this FACT?

You have said you have talked about these issues but I can't think of one time you have without calling it a dodge or just flat out blaming it on Alex. If you can find a post that you have addressed these issues then I will stand corrected. But I don't think it's on here.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    It's not that at all. Some of us are just tired of seeing 1 guy take the fall.
    This is a distortion of the arguments being made against Smith. No 1 guy takes the fall - which has been repeated ad nauseum. That said, he is the starting QB. There is a reason why win/loss records are kept for the QB. If the QB is credited, statistically, for the team's successes, then shouldn't the same standard apply for the failures?

Smith is no more taking the fall for the bad than he is being credited for the good. Just because someone doesn't accept the supporting cast as an excuse, doesn't mean that the flaws with the supporting cast are being ignored.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

If we are looking at the pass offense shouldn't all things be considered? I've pointed out many times this offseasons that the Chiefs WRs in the past 2 years are the ONLY TEAM in the NFL to be in the top 5 in highest dropped pass %. And there was only 1 team was in the top 10 the past 2 years. This has been called an "excuse" or "dodge" but why do we ignore this FACT?
    All things are considered, but all things aren't considered equally. The Chiefs dropped 29 passes in 2015. 7 less drops over the entirety of the season puts them squarely in the middle of the pack in terms of dropped pass %.

While a 6.0 drop % for the Chiefs is a fact, it's a negligible factor at best. It barely puts a dent into the evaluations of Smith's play, and that's why I've referred to it as a dodge.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

There is an obvious fundamental disagreement with myself and some others in regards to the impact of the QB on his supporting cast, and vice versa. In my view, the production of the supporting cast is predicated on the skill of the QB much moreso than is the production of the QB predicated on the supporting cast.

NFL level talent considered, a good QB will be good with whoever is placed around him, while a mediocre QB will be mediocre with whoever is placed around him. The QB is the catalyst.

This is a distortion of the arguments being made against Smith. No 1 guy takes the fall - which has been repeated ad nauseum. That said, he is the starting QB. There is a reason why win/loss records are kept for the QB. If the QB is credited, statistically, for the team's successes, then shouldn't the same standard apply for the failures?

Smith is no more taking the fall for the bad than he is being credited for the good. Just because someone doesn't accept the supporting cast as an excuse, doesn't mean that the flaws with the supporting cast are being ignored.
    That's just the thing you will never give him credit for the good. When the fact that we have had 2 winning seasons under Smith is brought up the go to line you have had is "it's a team game' And I agree. It is a team game. That also goes to the losses. But then it's "the passing game is holding us back"

Oh here are other facts
    The Chiefs under Smith have put together there first back to back winning years in just about 10 years.
    the Chiefs under Smith have had there first winning year not with a last place schedule in just about 10 years

So when Smith got to KC the Chiefs got better right away. But he's the one holding the Chiefs back?

All things are considered, but all things aren't considered equally. The Chiefs dropped 29 passes in 2015. 7 less drops over the entirety of the season puts them squarely in the middle of the pack in terms of dropped pass %.

While a 6.0 drop % for the Chiefs is a fact, it's a negligible factor at best. It barely puts a dent into the evaluations of Smith's play, and that's why I've referred to it as a dodge.
    The fact is they didn't have those 7 less drops. They still dropped them. To say if you take out so many drops then they would have been this while true is meaningless. They still happened. That would be like me saying well if you take out xnumber of missed reads from Alex he didnt have so many. Something tells me you wouldn't be so willing to go with that.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I hope he does not because I am rooting against Alex. but if he were to beat him out that would mean he did it by elevating the qb position that would be good for all chiefs fans I still think Alex is our best bet. But if it were to happen It would definitely be a good thing. And who knows maybe this chatter about Daniel will make Alex feel the pressure and take his game to a new level

That's just the thing you will never give him credit for the good. When the fact that we have had 2 winning seasons under Smith is brought up the go to line you have had is "it's a team game' And I agree. It is a team game. That also goes to the losses. But then it's "the passing game is holding us back"
    You're asking me to credit him for 2 winning seasons, but you don't want him blamed for the failures. This was my entire point. I don't do either (credit him for the wins, nor blame him for the losses). My evaluation of Smith is as an individual, and I hold him accountable to his own individual play and production on the field.

Oh here are other facts
    The Chiefs under Smith have put together there first back to back winning years in just about 10 years.
    the Chiefs under Smith have had there first winning year not with a last place schedule in just about 10 years
    Do you NOT see what's happening here? You're continually talking in the context of team accomplishments to fend off critiques that are being made in the context of individual ability and performance. It's as if we're just talking past one another.

So when Smith got to KC the Chiefs got better right away. But he's the one holding the Chiefs back?
    It's also true that when Eric Fisher, Donnie Avery, A.J. Jenkins, Anthony Fasano, etc ...... got to KC the Chiefs got better right away.

If your response to that is, "Well, they're not the starting QB and don't have the same impact." -- My reply is .......

..... "Exactly!!"

You can't defend Smith by crediting him for team accomplishments unless you're equally willing to accept him being the fall guy for team failures. Like I said, I don't subscribe to either.

You're asking me to credit him for 2 winning seasons, but you don't want him blamed for the failures. This was my entire point. I don't do either (credit him for the wins, nor blame him for the losses). My evaluation of Smith is as an individual, and I hold him accountable to his own individual play and production on the field.
    What I'm saying is your stance seems to change depending on wins or losses. If it's a team game when we win then it's the same when we lose. Instead it changes from Team game to Alex is holding us back

Do you NOT see what's happening here? You're continually talking in the context of team accomplishments to fend off critiques that are being made in the context of individual ability and performance. It's as if we're just talking past one another.
    I didn't do a good job there. I was trying to be a little tongue and cheek there it just was not well done LOL
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The fact is they didn't have those 7 less drops. They still dropped them. To say if you take out so many drops then they would have been this while true is meaningless. They still happened. That would be like me saying well if you take out xnumber of missed reads from Alex he didnt have so many. Something tells me you wouldn't be so willing to go with that.
    You are absolutely missing the point.

Yes, I agree, they did have those drops and they can't be taken away. The point was not that the drops didn't happen, but that the drops were a negligible factor in regards to reasons given as to why Smith is a mediocre QB.

In other words, whether the Chiefs dropped 29 passes or 0 passes, it doesn't factor very much into the evaluation of Smith's individual skills, or lack thereof, as an NFL QB.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast