Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The only way to get a top QB is to pick one in the first round...

Default The only way to get a top QB is to pick one in the first round...

I think we have heard that mantra around here a bit...

So let's talk about RG III...

The scumskins paid 4 picks for the right to draft RG III as #2 overall. They paid the #6 overall and #39 overall in 2012 plus the # 22 overall in 2013 plus the # 2 overall in 2014. Read that right please...two top 7 picks, a # 22 pick plus a # 39 pick. 3 first round picks plus a high second round pick. (source is Wiki, so not guaranteed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Griffin_III )

And now RG III is on the bench and if you can believe what you read on the net, likely to be cut or traded for a very low draft pick.... Some writers even think the Chiefs are the ideal place for RG III to try to save his career.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rg3-s-p...as-city-chiefs

So this brings us to the point I have tried to make over and over again....grabbing a QB with one of the top 3 picks in the draft DON'T MEAN SHIP. DON'T MEAN DIDDLY! OFTEN ISN'T WORTH A PILE OF WARM DOG TURDS!!

So I urge all the people that despise Alex Smith and complain we paid too much for him to speak right up and explain to me how 2 2cond round picks was TOO MUCH for Alex but 3 first round picks and a second round pick was a good deal for RG III. DON'T BE SHY. SPEAK RIGHT UP.

Do you really want us to trade our top 2 picks for 2 years in a row to try to get that mythical unicorn called a "FRANCHISE QB" like RG III??????? And since we don't suck like the skins did in 2011 it would probably cost us a LOT MORE than they paid for RG III to get ourselves a #1 or #2 overall pick. And if we tried that and got an RG III we'd wind up with our draft potential RUINED for years to come.

THERE IT IS GENTLEMEN......ALEX "IS WHAT HE IS" BUT HE WAS A MUCH BETTER VALUE THAN RG III.

The Smith-haters have just been shot down in flames.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 09-01-2015 at 04:15 PM.

"The only way to get a top QB is to pick one in the first round..."

See Joe Montana for proof otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post

See Joe Montana for proof otherwise.
    And Brady too......

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Thanks Demps! You know it's crap. I know it's crap...Most people here know it's crap. But there are some LUNATICS that think we should trade away 2 full draft classes so that we can get someone like RG III.....who will shortly be available for not much more than a crack whore. SMFH! They remind me of people that wanted us to spend the #1 pick overall on Geno. Some people need to put down the damned pipe 'cause it addles their thinking process.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 09-01-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Just like everyone else, you take things out of context.
    Clearly, you can find QBs all over the draft, and even outside of the draft.

But your best chance to find a QB is in the first round.

No one has been shot down by this bull****.

i know its against the grain and not typical in all instances but... how many black qb's have won multiple superbowls...

i know you could argue leaf vs manning having same results as luck vs rg3...

i say this not to be demeaning, but black superstars are used as athletes whereas white superstars are louded for their booksmarts.
    Originally from Tonganoxie, KS.

Happily married in Australia!!

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Just like everyone else, you take things out of context.
    Clearly, you can find QBs all over the draft, and even outside of the draft.

But your best chance to find a QB is in the first round.

No one has been shot down by this bull****.
    Perhaps you missed the discussions where we were told that we needed to draft a QB in the first round EVERY SINGLE YEAR until we got someone better than Alex.

I'll be the devil's advocate here. I actually think RG3 was going to be a great pick but Dan Snyder and shanarat screwed him up. If they had not played him when he wasn't cleared to play yet a couple years ago, he could have kept developing. He has serious problems with his knees now. Anyone who thinks knee problems don't effect your throwing has never been taught to throw correctly with any force.

After so many injuries and really bad coaching, he has lost his discipline. He is a very different qb than when he was a rookie. As a rookie he had poise and accuracy which is gone now.

The reason I bring that up is that I would argue RG3 with proper coaching and development may have been worth three price Washington paid, but they screwed it up. He won't ever reach his potential in D.C. He has a chance somewhere else with a good qb coach and a chance to study for a few years, but he has to forget the last couple of years, which is hard.

I'm not saying I want him or would have made that trade for us, just that it is not black and white. Under different circumstances, RG3 could be a great star.

Are you much more likely to get a HOF/SB winning QB in the first round compared to later rounds? Absolutely! Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to learn some statistics. Are first round QBs the ONLY way to have success? No, of course not, there are plenty of examples of QBs acquired through trade, free agency, or later rounds that can succeed (brees, Wilson, Brady, etc). But those are the exceptions, not the common occurrence.

My opinion is you take what luck gives you. Fortune favors the prepared. If you have a good supporting cast and scouting team, then drafting a qb can be successful. If a good QB becomes available for a reasonable trade our late in the draft, then go for it.

RG3 is just bad all around even before the knee problems

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Perhaps you missed the discussions where we were told that we needed to draft a QB in the first round EVERY SINGLE YEAR until we got someone better than Alex.
    Yeah i dont think he was here when they were saying draft a qb in 1st round every year until we find one cuz no other position matters unless you get a hall of fame qb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast