Thread: Reason why Catapano was cut

Default Reason why Catapano was cut

So, what happened to Mike Catapano? The Kansas City Chiefs cut the 2013 seventh round pick on Saturday and he went through waivers unclaimed. But that's not the end of the story for Mike Catapano.
    Per a report from Aaron Wilson, Catapano has three workouts scheduled this week, including the Jets, Bears and Packers.
    I attempted to explain why Catapano was cut but Andy Reid gave a more in-depth answer on the reasoning on Monday.
    "Listen, Mike's a good football player and he'll probably hook on with somebody else," Reid said, via quotes from the Chiefs. "I think if you were running a 4-3 and you put Mike as a rush defensive end, hand in the dirt and get yourself up field and go, I think that's what he's going to hook on with, a team like that. He always fought to keep his weight up and all of that so he could be inside there and he'd get bounced around there a little bit inside. I think on the outside, boy, if we were playing a 4-3, he could just charge from there. Whoever gets him, I think they're getting a good football player and hopefully he gets onto a team where they're running a 4-3 front."
    NFL defenses these days are more and more multiple where you'll see 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. I'll be curious to see where he ends up.

All of those teams are 3-4 teams.

Theres not alot of 4-3 defenses left is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    All of those teams are 3-4 teams.
    Good point. I think it has to do with the strengths of the front seven. For instance, our pass rush is great but we struggled against the run. So it sounded to me like Reid wanted more traditional 3-4 ends that are better at taking on blocks and clogging up lanes. Sucks to see him go... I had high hopes for him.

Maybe Reid is doing what he always does and is being a player coach and always saying good thing about players, but the fact is. Catapano did absolutely nothing to stand out enough to give him a roster spot.

Is their really that much of a difference in 3-4 or 4-3 defensive end it shouldn't be that hard to make the switch

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Is their really that much of a difference in 3-4 or 4-3 defensive end it shouldn't be that hard to make the switch
    There is a pretty big difference. They really are two different positions on the field. A 3-4 DE is more like a defensive tackle in a 4-3. 3-4 DEs are supposed to occupy/push blockers to give the linebackers openings to make a sack/tackle. 4-3 DEs are more like OLBs in a 3-4.

For example, Hali was a DE when we ran a 4-3. He moved to OLB because that is the most comparable position.

I always thought Catapano was a bad choice for a team running a 3-4. He would have been a good prospect as a 4-3 end, or maybe even a 3-4 OLB. I'm kind of confused as to why they spent so much time trying to fit him into the 3-4 mold.

Gonna really suck though if he goes to a 4-3 team and thrives