Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the KC/Cinci game

Post Thoughts on the KC/Cinci game

In no particular order.

1- The Chiefs have become masters of whiffing on good drives. Seven good drives yielded 3 points each. If we are to compete with the big boys we need to finish our drives strong. Potentially we left 28 points on the field. But wait, our kicker sets a new Chiefs record for FGs in a game. Who needs Jan Stenerud or Nick Lowery when you got Cairo Santos. Btw, if we finish 4 of those 7 drives with TDs like a legit team should, we win this game.

2- That bit of sarcasm about our kicker out of the way he needs to be mentioned with a big atta boy. The young man has improved a lot over last year. He has become pretty clutch. Too early to tell but maybe Cairo Santos will be mentioned someday along with Stenerud and Lowery. Now if he could only learn you're not supposed to kick off out of bounds.... ;)

3- Oline is crap. But you knew that. Here's a couple of observations about that:

A- Alex was sacked 49 times (most in his career) last year behind an Oline that did not have the 'stud' OG Grubbs and featuring human green light, Mike McGlynn. This year we are on track for almost 70!... Go figure!

B- Given the vast talent we have now accumulated on the Oline this year, (I wish there was a sarcasm emoticon), at what point do we point a finger at our Oline coach and the scheme?

C- The optimist in me thinks, this line is not as bad as it is and will gel sometime soon. The same optimist says that usually one or two bad apples make the whole Oline go rotten. So maybe either a player will be traded for, developed, or mature up and bingo(!) we will have respectable Oline play.

4- Alex Smith: He deservedly got a lot of criticism last week and deserves some this week too.

A- How can a NFL QB throw for almost 400 yards and not a TD pass?

B- Broken record here, but Alex holds on to the ball too long. He deserves a lot of the blame for the sacks as well. He doesn't even know how to throw the ball away. That intentional grounding was pathetic.

C- A lot of people attribute the almost bust status that he achieved at the pre-Harbaugh San Francisco to how his psyche got messed up with bad coaching and regime changes. All that means is that his psyche CAN be messed up. And nothing will mess up a QB's psyche more than sacks, hits, and hurries. Poor dude. PUT A FREAKING OLINE IN FRONT OF HIM ALREADY!

5- Gadget plays only worked for the Chiefs in the Stram era. I have never seen an NFL team botch gadget plays with the regularity that KC has in the last, what, two decades? I doesn't even matter who the coach is. Gadget plays are simply not in KC's DNA

6- What's up with our D and 3rd-and-longs?!!! defending them is another thing that does not seem to be in KC's DNA. Regardless of coach.

7- Speaking of the D, where are they? Where the hell is our vaunted pass rush?

8- Still speaking of the D, why is it that Sutton does not teach them to go for stripping the ball? Marty's Ds had that edge on the opposing Os and would get into their heads by the second quarter on. Our D is close to fielding the same talent, without that essential edge.

9- Officiating rants:

A- Kelce's fumble should have been reversed. Why do they have the replay review technology otherwise?! The game looked winnable until then. Cinci was -17 points in the 2nd half before this game. The officials basically gifted a TD to them to put the game out of reach.

B- On the Cinci's first attempt at the 2 point conversion our 99 was being held by two Olinemen. Yet a dubious defensive holding call was made against our D giving the Bengals the 2nd chance to make it a 2 TD game.

10- Broken record again: One of Alex Smith's positive qualities is his mobility. Why the hell don't we have DESIGNED QB runs in our playbook?! And if we do why the hell don't we use them?! This can be very effective in drives. It can keep oppositions Ds unbalanced and guessing. That threat can open up other plays for the Chiefs. For a supposedly offensive minded coach, we have a very conservative playbook. Maybe that's also why our occasional gadget plays don't work. Maybe that's why we don't score TDs when we get to 1st-and-goal. Can you imagine the QB bootlegs that Alex can take to the house in those situations?
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 10-04-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    The couple of times that I watched the slow motion replay of a sack or a hit behind the line Fisher was doing his job well. Small sample I know, but I am disappointed in Stephenson and can't understand why they won't switch them around.
    Im willing to bet fisher will be back at Lt before the end of the season.

The couple of times that I watched the slow motion replay of a sack or a hit behind the line Fisher was doing his job well. Small sample I know, but I am disappointed in Stephenson and can't understand why they won't switch them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Just watched all the Offensive snaps (74 of them counting the intentional grounding) and counted 6 plays where Fisher could have better. And not one penalty, as that one time the officials called Fisher's name it was because Fisher was uncovered because Kelce didn't line up right. Outside of the one play where Carlos Dunlap got to Alex Smith on a stunt because Geno Atkins overpowered Fulton, Eric Fisher allowed no hits on Smith by Dunlap or anybody else -- and this on 51 pass plays. Dunlap had gotten multiple pressures and hits on Joe Flacco the week before (I know because I watched the Benglas Ravens game in its entirety on Saturday).

Stephenson, meanwhile, struggled on the other side and allowed multiple pressures and hits on Alex Smith. No way is Stephenson playing LT better this year thus far than Fisher was last year at this point in time.

texaschief is right that making Fisher move back to RT was a mistake. Anybody who goes along with the falsely constructed scenarios or party lines of "Fisher lost his LT job", "Fisher is a bust", "Stephenson is a better LT than Fisher", has automatically destroyed their credibility and all they're really telling anyone is that they haven't watched Fisher closely at all.

For those watching Fisher closely, like myself, we can tell everybody for a fact that the Big Fish has gotten a bum rap from the media and a cabal of crybaby fans that were threatening to crap in their diapers if the Chiefs took an O-Lineman at #1 in 2013.

I don't care what anybody says -- if Fisher stays healthy and continues working hard to try to improve, then he's most certainly a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Just watched all the Offensive snaps (74 of them counting the intentional grounding) and counted 6 plays where Fisher could have better. And not one penalty, as that one time the officials called Fisher's name it was because Fisher was uncovered because Kelce didn't line up right. Outside of the one play where Carlos Dunlap got to Alex Smith on a stunt because Geno Atkins overpowered Fulton, Eric Fisher allowed no hits on Smith by Dunlap or anybody else -- and this on 51 pass plays. Dunlap had gotten multiple pressures and hits on Joe Flacco the week before (I know because I watched the Benglas Ravens game in its entirety on Saturday).

Stephenson, meanwhile, struggled on the other side and allowed multiple pressures and hits on Alex Smith. No way is Stephenson playing LT better this year thus far than Fisher was last year at this point in time.

texaschief is right that making Fisher move back to RT was a mistake. Anybody who goes along with the falsely constructed scenarios or party lines of "Fisher lost his LT job", "Fisher is a bust", "Stephenson is a better LT than Fisher", has automatically destroyed their credibility and all they're really telling anyone is that they haven't watched Fisher closely at all.

For those watching Fisher closely, like myself, we can tell everybody for a fact that the Big Fish has gotten a bum rap from the media and a cabal of crybaby fans that were threatening to crap in their diapers if the Chiefs took an O-Lineman at #1 in 2013.

I don't care what anybody says -- if Fisher stays healthy and continues working hard to try to improve, then he's most certainly a keeper.
    Nice read and glad we hqve someone to study the oline. I think we should move fisher back to Lt and keep him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Ramik Wilson kicked *** in the preseason cannot believe he isn't starting
    He was in there at the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post

I'm just done with everyone on this line, wanna start fresh

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    .... the Chiefs ...., beat the Broncos (not really. We lost it as soon as Peyton over-ruled Kubiak and switched the O to his style. Sutton still doesn't seem to have a solution for Peyton in that mode) (not reflected on the scoreboard).

The Broncos are living off turnovers (See #8 in the OP. The Donk's D is the closest thing I have seen to the KC Ds of the '90s)... that will level off at some point.

I think this first quarter of the season was good for this team. They got to see just how far away they are from the elites of the league in order to compete on their level. They have 75% of the season left to make their adjustments (Chiefs don't make adjustments)to get ready for the playoffs. San Diego looks like a .500 team, as do the Raiders (You really expect us to sweep them?! When was the last time we swept SD and Oakland?).

This season isn't lost. (Maybe not, but I for one still can't find it!)

Bears-W
    Vikings-L
    Steelers-W
    Lions-W
    Bye
    Broncos-W/L
    Chargers-W
    Bills-L
    Raiders-W
    Chargers-W
    Ravens-W
    Browns-W
    Raiders-W

(Very lofty expectation, above)

The problem with the O-line is that the coaching staff took too long to decide who their starters were going to be. You basically have 5 new starters on this team because they moved Fisher to RT (HORRIFIC MISTAKE, IMO) (I totally agree). Grubbs is doing fine (Open to serious argument) but the communication between these guys is awful. They're not used to playing with each other and if the coaching staff had been more decisive, they could've worked on that throughout training camp and the preseason. As it is, they're throwing new guys in there each week and it's killing this line.

Alex Smith wasn't bad against the Bengals, but I'm officially done with the guy. He's damaged goods and I think it's time to see if we can get better results from Daniel. If nothing else, he's more willing to use his mobility to get away from pressure. Alex sits there as if he's Peyton with no knees (I have said this before, but with the addition of Maclin I think Alex has been told to be a pocket passer, which he is not. Washington has ruined RG3 the same way. Alex thinks too much and that's why he holds on to the ball)... it's unreal. He just sits in the pocket, watches the rush, and waits for them to get to him. If his first read isn't open, his eyes drop and he waits for the sack. I've never seen anything like it (Oh yeah? Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, and Damon Huard would like to disagree). I've read all the excuses for this guy over and over... "if he had an O-line, if he had WRs, if he had a run game, if he had a defense, if he had the same OC/HC, etc..." You know... it shouldn't take an entire team of Pro Bowl quality players around a QB for him to be successful.

Reid is a good coach that has been very succesful and has given him 3 years of consistency and Dorsey gave him ANOTHER nice contract. Maclin-Pro Bowl WR. Kelce-Pro Bowl quality, Charles-Pro Bowl, Grubbs-Pro Bowl, Houston-Pro Bowl, Hali-Pro Bowl, Berry-Pro Bowl, Poe-Pro Bowl, Sean Smith-Pro Bowl, D.J.-Pro Bowl... (Did you see how those "Pro-Bowl" guys played the last two games?). Hell, even Alex has a Pro Bowl appearance. Enough with the excuses already. The Bills don't have the best O-line in the league, but their (short) QB is mobile, keeps his eyes down field and makes plays... sound like anyone else we currently have on the roster? I think heading into the second quarter of the season is a great time to make the change if you're ever going to make it. If you make the change at the bye week, that means you've had poor QB play for 8 games and your season is probably lost. At least if you do it now, you have a chance to win. The Chiefs obviously think Daniel can be a winning QB for this team... or they wouldn't be paying him that much money.

The defense isn't working because the CBs are playing off. The whole point to having an elite pass rush is so that you can get to the QB before he is able to throw the ball. If the QB is able to get rid of the ball and complete a 5-7 yard slant every time they line up because the DBs are playing off, how is the rush to blame? The defense needs to be playing more cover-2 defense with the CBs pressed in man and the safeties helping over the top. Let the LBs and D-Line worry about the run and get Hali/Ford and Houston rushing off the edge. You've got big, physical 6ft CBs for a reason... and it's not so you can play off the WRs 10-12 yards. This defense that we are playing makes absolutely ZERO effing sense. If they played more press coverage with safety help over the top, that would take away the quick reads and give the pass rush a couple more seconds to get to the QB. But why worry about the 20 yards pass play when I can just hit my quick slant or out for 5-7 yards whenever I want it? Stupid

Go Chiefs
    Thanks for the optimistic post, but you may be TOO optimistic here. You pretty much described a flawless scenario. And that is not realistic.

My reactions are in red within your post.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    I hope so. This time long term, if not permanently, I hope.

I hope so. This time long term, if not permanently, I hope.
    So in Theory, if Fisher is moved back to LT today. What does that fix?

The problem has been At RG. They are stunting between the Center and RT and then brining an blitz past those stunts some times untouched. Stephenson at LT is getting beat with very smiliar stunts.

If Fisher is moved to LT, does that Fix the LT and what do we do with the right side issue explained above. Also I saw Fisher completely block NO one on that reverse play that Giberry Blew up. Not blaming Fisher here because I am not sure who he was supposed block. Was Gilberry supposed to be released untouched as he was, it looked like Fisher should have blocked him, but WHY was that Play even Called.. Everything else was working at that point.

Why are we putting our struggling Offensive line man in 5 man fronts trying to block 7 guys over and over again. Why are we still playing Man to Man after getting gashed for 5 plays over 35 yards.

My point, there is a lot more wrong here than one player being moved and moving any one player wont fix what is broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    So in Theory, if Fisher is moved back to LT today. What does that fix?

The problem has been At RG. They are stunting between the Center and RT and then brining an blitz past those stunts some times untouched. Stephenson at LT is getting beat with very smiliar stunts.

If Fisher is moved to LT, does that Fix the LT and what do we do with the right side issue explained above. Also I saw Fisher completely block NO one on that reverse play that Giberry Blew up. Not blaming Fisher here because I am not sure who he was supposed block. Was Gilberry supposed to be released untouched as he was, it looked like Fisher should have blocked him, but WHY was that Play even Called.. Everything else was working at that point.

Why are we putting our struggling Offensive line man in 5 man fronts trying to block 7 guys over and over again. Why are we still playing Man to Man after getting gashed for 5 plays over 35 yards.

My point, there is a lot more wrong here than one player being moved and moving any one player wont fix what is broke.

I know whqt your saying bit if stephenso isnt any good at lt we need to put fisher back at lt. And on the reverse i think gilbery just made a good read. I think he was suppose to go on blocked thinking he would cut across the back side of the line and with the reverse guy having momentum then could run buly gilbery before he could react but gilbery ran deeper in the backfield than they planned and fisher was probably going to lead after that but just a guess. Its a stupid play anyways. Reid talks about limiting the negative plays but hes the kne that calls this stupid trick olays thwt never worked. These type of gimmick plays never work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Coaching. (See 3B in the OP).

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast