Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some interesting numbers......

Default Some interesting numbers......

We've seen LOTS of Alex Smith Battles here.

We all know the drill....

He's a game manager.

Noodle arm.

We've all heard it and agreed or disagreed....Right?

And we know he has had a pretty crappy season so far.....Right?

So here are some surprising numbers....

Alex Smith's 3 BEST seasons (total yards) in which he started 10 games or more...2013 (3,313); 2014 (3,265); 2011 (3,144).

Same 3 years, average yards per completion...2013 (6.5); 2014 (7.0); 2011 (7.1).

Same 3 years, average yards per game....2013 (221); 2014 (217.67); 2011 (196.5).

You will notice that his 2 best seasons have been in KC. Both better than his best year in San Fran.

Pretty mediocre numbers though....Right?

So how is he doing this year over the course of 7 games?

He has thrown for 1,825 yards in 7 games. Averaging 260.6 yards per game (18% better than his previous best).

His average yards per completion are 7.5. More than 5% better than his previous best.

At his current rate if Smith plays 16 games he will throw for 4,169 yards. More than 850 yards more than his previous best.

And he has done this while getting FLAT OUT PUMMELED thanks to a pish poor O-line.

Somehow Alex Smith is having a "Career Year" despite a BRUTAL schedule and an O-line that for the most part hasn't been able to stop a hungry mouse.

I am completely befuddled by these numbers.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 10-26-2015 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Your right it doesn't make sense only thing I can think of is garbage time stats against prevent defenses. And poor third down conversions in the red zone.settling for field goals instead of td's not all of that is on smith but a good bit is.
    Thanks for understanding that I am not trying to make some sort of claim that Alex is a great QB. Clearly he ISN'T.

But something is sure as hell screwed up because he is having a great year (for him) and our Chiefs are having a terrible year. Just doesn't make sense to me. I just can't figure it.

"Garbage time"....That might be an explanation...I doubt it, but certainly it is possible. I don't know a website where I can research Alex's stats by quarter. Do you know somewhere I could research that?

Y'know...I like to consider myself a logical man and I tend to expect things to follow logical patterns. But our Chiefs being 2-5 while Alex is having the best year of his career is UTTERLY ILLOGICAL. And I REALLY would like to get to the bottom of this thing that makes NO SENSE. IT JUST BUGS ME!!!

I don't give a damn WHY it is happening, but I want to understand HOW it is happening.

Add to Alex having a career best year so far the fact that Maclin is doing the same and the Chiefs being 2-5 and it starts to look as if our defense ain't doing so hot. They are giving up almost 7 more points per game than they did last year. To translate that into oercentages, our defense is giving up almost 40% more point per game than last year. That's a PROBLEM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    A lot of the numbers are explained by the improvment in talent around Smith. Maclin has a lot to do with it. Conley already is at the very least as good as any number 2 the Chiefs have had for years. Hell Wilson is getting to that point as well. They have more to do with the numbers then Alex.
    Certainly that has a lot to do with it. As many of us said last year...if you give Alex some better receivers and a decent O-line he can look pretty damned good.

In 2013 we had a different Alex Smith. He made a LOT of plays with his legs. He ran for nearly 500 yards to go with what he did throwing. Even with the O line that left a lot to be desired that year he found a way to make something out of it a number of times.
    True.

Todays Alex Smith will cave as soon as there is pressure. And at times just assumes that there is pressure closing in when there isn't and will hurry a throw when it's not needed........Alex has let things get in his head. And that's just something that you can't do as a QB.
    True again. But given the stats he is getting this year is it maybe just possible that with a better O-line he could look pretty damned good?

With a pretty good o line like he had in s.f I think he can definitely become a MEDIOCRE qb. Right now he sucks. He will never be that qb that can put the game on his shoulders and take you to the superbowl. Sorry just is what it is.

With a pretty good o line like he had in s.f I think he can definitely become a MEDIOCRE qb.
    Can't agree. With a decent O-line it would appear he could throw for 4,500 yards in a season. That is better than "mediocre".

Right now he sucks.
    Nope. Right now he fears for his life every time he takes the field.

He will never be that qb that can put the game on his shoulders and take you to the superbowl. Sorry just is what it is.
    That is TRUE. He would need a REALLY GOOD team around him to be the QB that took a team to the SB.

Anyway....that is how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Can't agree. With a decent O-line it would appear he could throw for 4,500 yards in a season. That is better than "mediocre".

Huh? That's some amazing foresight on your part, considering he's yet to throw for over 3500 in his NFL career.

Nope. Right now he fears for his life every time he takes the field.

That's his problem. He needs to man up and be a leader.

That is TRUE. He would need a REALLY GOOD team around him to be the QB that took a team to the SB.

Good qbs make the team around him better. Smith makes his OL look worse than what it is.

Anyway....that is how I see it.
    Smith is a mediocre (at best) QB.

Fun stat: Travis Kelce is averaging more yardage per catch AFTER the catch (8.3) than Alex Smith is per attempt (7.5).

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Fun stat: Travis Kelce is averaging more yardage per catch AFTER the catch (8.3) than Alex Smith is per attempt (7.5).
    Doesn't really surprise me. Kelce is an ABSOLUTE BEAST once he gets the ball in his hands with even the slightest bit of room to run. He a big target at 6-5 and at 260 he is big enough to shrug off arm tackles but still small enough to be fast. I may be mistaken, but I think that at 69.85 yards per game played this year he is the #2 pass catcher behind Maclin this year. And lets be honest...when Tony Gonzales says "If he keeps his head on straight, he could go down as one of the best." you have to figure he is pretty damned good. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25356546/tony-gonzalez-travis-kelce-could-go-down-as-one-of-the-best-tight-ends Pretty good pickup for a 3rd rounder. Thank you John Dorsey.

I think Kelce is probably Dorsey's best pick so far, Marcus Peters isn't far behind him

Before Sunday the Chiefs were converting 27.8% of their 3rd down conversions. Against PIT they were 9/16 (56.2%).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast