Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some interesting numbers......

Default Some interesting numbers......

We've seen LOTS of Alex Smith Battles here.

We all know the drill....

He's a game manager.

Noodle arm.

We've all heard it and agreed or disagreed....Right?

And we know he has had a pretty crappy season so far.....Right?

So here are some surprising numbers....

Alex Smith's 3 BEST seasons (total yards) in which he started 10 games or more...2013 (3,313); 2014 (3,265); 2011 (3,144).

Same 3 years, average yards per completion...2013 (6.5); 2014 (7.0); 2011 (7.1).

Same 3 years, average yards per game....2013 (221); 2014 (217.67); 2011 (196.5).

You will notice that his 2 best seasons have been in KC. Both better than his best year in San Fran.

Pretty mediocre numbers though....Right?

So how is he doing this year over the course of 7 games?

He has thrown for 1,825 yards in 7 games. Averaging 260.6 yards per game (18% better than his previous best).

His average yards per completion are 7.5. More than 5% better than his previous best.

At his current rate if Smith plays 16 games he will throw for 4,169 yards. More than 850 yards more than his previous best.

And he has done this while getting FLAT OUT PUMMELED thanks to a pish poor O-line.

Somehow Alex Smith is having a "Career Year" despite a BRUTAL schedule and an O-line that for the most part hasn't been able to stop a hungry mouse.

I am completely befuddled by these numbers.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 10-26-2015 at 02:34 AM.

^^Any QB that gets the living hell beaten out them, the way Alex has in the first 6 games, isn't going to be successful. Just look at Andrew Luck this season.

I'll always take the more balanced Offense with the formidable running game and a good O-Line, than those passing numbers. But, I see your point. The numbers shouldn't be as good as they are.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 10-26-2015 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ^^Any QB that gets the living hell beaten out them, the way Alex has in the first 6 games, isn't going to be successful. Just look at Andrew Luck this season.

I'll always take the more balanced Offense with the formidable running game and a good O-Line, than those passing numbers. But, I see your point. The numbers shouldn't be as good as they are.
    EXACTLY! I just don't get it. Until I looked these numbers up I would have said he was having one of the worst years of his career. But it ain't so. Makes no sense. ?????

He's taking 25 sacks through 7 games, too bad he miss throws or his receivers drop the damn ball when it hit em right in their hands or those numbers would be a little higher, when he has a good O-Line he statistically is a good QB of course Manziel would've looked good behind that line yesterday

I would say that his previous "career years" weren't exactly what Chiefs fans were hoping for. They were good years for him, but I think most of us were hoping for MUCH better once he got hooked up with Andy Reid and some coaching stability. Getting into Reid's system is no easy task and I think most people were giving him a break with learning the system. But with this being his third year in the system, the excuses are running short. The O-line has had a couple issues, but all the available ratings and grades have the O-line performing at an above average level. Just because Smith is getting sacked, doesn't necessarily mean it's the line's fault. Smith drops his eyes and holds the ball way too long. The above average QBs in this league know how to not take so many damn sacks. Dumping the ball off at a RB's feet isn't that hard. Instead, he holds the ball, curls up in a fetal position and waits two or three counts for the pass rush to get to him. He's horrific at getting the ball out. If his first or second read isn't there, he takes the sack... it's AWFUL. In MOST cases, he's given enough time to dump the ball for an incompletion... he just doesn't do it.

This is just my opinion and observation from his time in KC and comparing him to other QBs:

Alex Smith isn't a competitor. Alex Smith is an executor. He goes onto the field and tries to execute a play or game plan, but he's not looking to make plays. He never looks like he's trying to win the game. Compare him to the better QBs in the league. Those guys show emotion. They get in their player's faces and correct mistakes. They hold their players accountable. You never see any of that from Smith. He's just as willing to have someone else have the ball in their hands when the game is on the line as he is to have it in his own. He's just there to execute... nothing else. His robot mentality is that of an average QB and as long as our QB is average, so will be our team. He has WRs to throw to and a stout defense to rely on as long as he can keep them off the field longer than 3 minutes.

This is the third year in Andy Reid's system... Alex Smith is out of excuses.
    Last edited by texaschief; 10-26-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Somehow Alex Smith is having a "Career Year" despite a BRUTAL schedule and an O-line that for the most part hasn't been able to stop a hungry mouse.

I am completely befuddled by these numbers.
    My explanation is that the WR's have cut down on the drops. Instead of being in the top five, we're at #21.

Another odd thing to consider...Despite all of his erratic throwing this year, despite the increase in yardage, despite the season almost being halfway over with a 2-5 w/l record...Alex has only thrown 3 INT's so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    He's taking 25 sacks through 7 games, too bad he miss throws or his receivers drop the damn ball when it hit em right in their hands or those numbers would be a little higher, when he has a good O-Line he statistically is a good QB of course Manziel would've looked good behind that line yesterday
    You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Alex is NEVER going to be a world-class passer. Just a fact.

But despite all his faults (he has plenty) and despite an O-line that has been TERRIBLE this year (until yesterday with Fisher back at LT) and despite some questionable (at best) play calling and despite losing JC...he is somehow managing to have the best year of his career.

To me that makes no sense and I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    My explanation is that the WR's have cut down on the drops. Instead of being in the top five, we're at #21.
    OK....that makes sense. Thank you Maclin, Wilson and company (HURRY BACK MACLIN!). But please forgive me....but IN YOUR HONEST OPINION (and I MEAN THAT)...the play calling has been pretty poor...RIGHT? Up until yesterday the O-line was nothing to brag about (being polite)...RIGHT? And the schedule has been a female dog....RIGHT? So DAMMITALL!!!! Why is Alex having the best year of his career? Up until last night I thought Alex was having one of the WORST years of his career and instead the passing stats say he is having the best year of his career. I don't get it.

I REALLY don't want to start another Alex Smith fight, but is it JUST MAYBE POSSIBLE that if you give Alex DECENT RECEIVERS and a halfway decent O-line that he JUST MIGHT MAYBE be a pretty good QB? Not Brady...not either of the Manning brothers...not Montana...but just maybe good enough to take a team deep into the playoffs and maybe even more?

I want to REPEAT that I am NOT making claims for Alex. NOT AT ALL! But I am COMPLETELY BEFUDDLED by the fact that he is having the best year of his career through almost half a season when our Chiefs AS A TEAM are not looking so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Another odd thing to consider...Despite all of his erratic throwing this year, despite the increase in yardage, despite the season almost being halfway over with a 2-5 w/l record...Alex has only thrown 3 INT's so far.
    Isn't that supposed to be one of the GOOD things about Alex?....Game manager....Won't win the game by himself but won't lose it either?
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 10-26-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Where are his red zone turnovers in that stat .even more important his 3rd down conversion percentage. Alex has played like crap this year most of those stats are garbage time stats

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast