Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post-game observations on the London game:

Default Post-game observations on the London game:

This one is gonna be short. For obvious reasons.

1- Remember Cecil the lion? I am soooo against lion hunting I get sick every time I read about them. But, psst, I'm celebrating today's hunting of lions. ;)

2- The first two plays looked like an ominous bad day for the Chiefs was shaping up. Looks were deceiving. Thanks D. Great game today. The lions were hopeless against our blitzes all game. Great effort by team veterans. Thanks LJ, Tamba, Sean Smith, and even Houston whom I was pretty tough on last week. Now I'm not saying he is the old JH. But he was halfway between him and last week's JH, which was more than adequate for this game. One more note on D: When Sean Smith WANTS to play he is Aquib Talib. He shut down Megatron today. The only big catch against him was when the game had already been in our pocket, when Smith slipped and fell down.

3- A bit of nitpicking here: On the Lions first drive, 3rd and 3 on the Chiefs 30 and threatening, Stafford "completed" a first down pass to Eric Ebron. The only shot of the completion they ever showed looked convincingly like Ebron trapped it with the turf. Why wasn't a red flag or an official review on that play?

4- "Dante Poe?!!!!!".... screw you Sam Rosen. Do your homework for the game.

5- What is this new phenomenon with us beginning halfs with TD drives!? Something is not right with that picture. We are the Chiefs. We have a reputation to protect. ;)

6- For once Andy did not get conservative in the red zone. Hence, #5. I have been screaming about using Alex's run ability on goal situations. Today it happened by accident, but we need to put that in as a designed angle to our red zone offense.

7- Alex easily had his best game of the season. Maybe he is starting to trust the O-line now. His first down runs, his TD run, his 49 yard run, and his gorgeous TD pass to Maclin were things of beauty.

8- speaking of the O-Line, I focused on Fisher the entire first half. I quit doing that in the 2nd because I am now convinced he is firmly on the right track. Perfect he wasn't, but a great game he did have. He still needs to improve his strength in the offseason. He gets pushed back on pass blocking a bit too easily for my taste. But I'm now convinced he is our current and future LT.

Meanwhile Stephenson sat on the bench while we needed a RT today. Jah Reid played that position over him and it looked like he was holding his own.

LDT, to me, was the weakest link on the O-line today. He may have an upside, but it's not showing yet.

BTW, I can almost see the coaches insistence to turn the college T Jeff Allen to guard. When the camera was showing the O-line (from behind) getting set, I could tell clearly that Allen is built like a guard and not a tackle.

9- My only two regrets about this game were the fact that Conley did not see many snaps, and that Aaron Murray was inactive. Instead of Chase late in the game I wish we could give Murray some snaps.

10- If the O-line and the rest of the team play like this the rest of the season, I think with the emergence of Charcandrick West, we need to start featuring Knile for trade bait.

Both.

The Donk's D reminds me a lot of our D during the peak of the Marty era. the only difference, ours was home built and theirs is half bought.

But let me tell you this, Wade Phillips is a hell of a better DC than Bob Sutton. When he became available I secretly wanted us to replace Sutton with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Both.
    OK....thanks! I'm already thinking about November 15 in Denver. I think if we can win that game them we still have shot at the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    The Donk's D reminds me a lot of our D during the peak of the Marty era. the only difference, ours was home built and theirs is half bought.

But let me tell you this, Wade Phillips is a hell of a better DC than Bob Sutton. When he became available I secretly wanted us to replace Sutton with him.
    I'm not there yet. With the exception of earlier this season our Defense has been pretty damned stout under Sutton. I think Sutton should be given more rope to either prove himself or hang himself. But that is just me and I tend to be very, very loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post

I'm not there yet. With the exception of earlier this season our Defense has been pretty damned stout under Sutton. I think Sutton should be given more rope to either prove himself or hang himself. But that is just me and I tend to be very, very loyal.
    I'm surprised that there's been no mention of Eric Berry being moved to Free Safety and Abdullah becoming the slot cover guy, but it has happened, so there is one adjustment made by Sutton.

Also, when Ramik Wilson gets healthy, then Sutton has to get him on the field in place of Mauga, as Wilson is an impact player that makes things happen & is the better run defender. Wilson's work against Adrian Peterson in the Vikings game was as good as you can ask for from an ILB. It's a shame Wilson got his leg so heavily rolled up on in that game (he's lucky something wasn't broken), but we'll have to hope he recovers soon. Wilson is the key man to having a more stout Run Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I'm surprised that there's been no mention of Eric Berry being moved to Free Safety and Abdullah becoming the slot cover guy, but it has happened, so there is one adjustment made by Sutton.

Also, when Ramik Wilson gets healthy, then Sutton has to get him on the field in place of Mauga, as Wilson is an impact player that makes things happen & is the better run defender. Wilson's work against Adrian Peterson in the Vikings game was as good as you can ask for from an ILB. It's a shame Wilson got his leg so heavily rolled up on in that game (he's lucky something wasn't broken), but we'll have to hope he recovers soon. Wilson is the key man to having a more stout Run Defense.
    Thanks Demps! I remember not so long ago when many Chiefs fans were proclaiming Sutton as a conquering hero. The truth is he is not as good as some thought nor as bad as some now say. Sutton's instinct is to be a riverboat gambler. Rush the hell out of the passer and encourage pass defenders to go for the pick.

But when you sum it all up since Sutton got here we have allowed an average of 19.7 points per game. With some exceptions we are not losing games because of Sutton's Defense. We are losing games because our offense can't score an average of 24 points per game....and that goes back to what we all complained about last season...O-line and Wide Receivers. We added Maclin and it made a big difference. NOW WE NEED TO FIX THE O-LINE.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I remember not so long ago when many Chiefs fans were proclaiming Sutton as a conquering hero. The truth is he is not as good as some thought nor as bad as some now say.
    That was my point. In comparison, though, Wade Phillips is a very good DC, IMO. That's what I was trying to say in my post.

I agree we should have got wade phillips he a very good dc !! I would have fired sutton after that playoff game against the colts !!!!! If anyone watch that game???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    7. Smith is starting to use his legs again to make plays, which is good, because moving the sticks and keeping possession of the ball is paramount & it drives opposing Defenses NUTS. It also helps with 3rd down efficiency.

Also, look what's happened the last 2 weeks with a better balance between running & passing. Forget the BS about "it's a pass-first league" -- it doesn't apply to the Chiefs. Just look what's happened with the pass-happy BS that occurred during the 5-game losing streak with the ball being thrown around 40 times -- IT DIDN'T WORK !! Vince Lombardi once said "football is first and foremost a running game -- that will never change". Trent Green said last week the Chiefs needed better balance & he should know about that, as during the Vermeil years the Chiefs always featured a strong rushing attack and they were not a pass-first team. To add to that, the Chiefs Defense is starting to come on & they have cut down enemy scoring and helping to eliminate the need to be pass-happy.

8. Fisher is performing better at LT in his 3rd season in the NFL, than Branden Albert did in his 3rd NFL season in 2010 (9 sacks given up in his last 5 starts that year and countless hits on the QB throughout the year) & therefore Fisher is worthy of getting the same chance and time period to develop at LT that Albert got. CASE CLOSED !!

Jah Reid and Jeff Allen probably should be resigned, but it's curtain call for Stephenson once the season is over. He failed to lock down the RT job TWICE and he got a 3rd chance to be the LT and failed. That's 3 strikes and Stephenson is OUT!!

Morse is making progress at Center.

As for LDT, he'll need to show progress over the remainder of the season, or else the Chiefs will be drafting a Guard in the 2016 draft with one of their top two selections.

OVERALL:
    Granted the Lions were 1-6 coming in, but they hadn't gotten WAXED like they did today. Nobody was anticipating or predicting a 45-10 Chiefs romp.
    I thought Fisher had a good game. Can't complain at all about him. Jeff Allen looked so much better than Grubb and Reid held his own at RT.

LDT just does not get it right now.

Lets see how they do against a good defense though.

The other thing I wonder, and Not really complaing. But why is we appear to be a more balanced team running the ball so much more now, AFTER OUR START RB gets hurt!!!! I like West always have but man he is small, and goes down pretty hard. I don't think he will make an entire season as much as he is running it.

We should draft a guard with one of our first two picks anyway. Then we should draft another guard with our next pick. Then a tackle after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    We should draft a QB with one of our first two picks anyway. Then we should draft another guard with our next pick. Then a tackle after that.
    Fixed your post. ;)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast