Thread: A question about play-calling....

Default A question about play-calling....

I read somewhere last week that Smith had changed the play at the line of scrimmage several times against the Steelers. I don't know if that is true or not, but just reading it brings up some questions for me....

#1) Did Alex in fact call several audibles against the Steelers?

#2) If so, did Alex do it again against Detroit yesterday?

#3) If #1 and #2 are fact, is it possible that Reid is giving Smith more latitude when it comes to play-calling.

I'd be very interested to hear what y'all think about this.

well it would work to our advantage.. why run a play that appears doomed. this is what superior qbs do.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty chief View Post
    well it would work to our advantage.. why run a play that appears doomed. this is what superior qbs do.
    No doubt. The reason I asked is because I think Reid giving up some of his control over play-calling would be a good thing...whether he did that by giving Alex more control at the LOS or by giving a bit more play-calling responsibility to Pederson. Either way I think it could be good for the Chiefs. I'm just trying to find out if that is actually happening.

I'm surprised he didn't cut off a few fingers in this decision if its true

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't cut off a few fingers in this decision if its true
    Y'know C4L....I'm almost a year older than Reid...and because my "life experience" in management is kind of similar to his I like to think I understand a little about how his head works.....doing things the way you did "before"....hiring people that you have worked with before...I understand it because I've done the same thing. I've also had to learn that you can't re-create the past. Doesn't work. But at the same time, forgetting the past is a recipe for disaster.

But y'know...you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. It took me a while in my second management job to realize that I couldn't just do things the same way I had before but I figured it out. And I became somebody well-respected in my industry...not because I'm especially smart but because I learned from some mistakes.

IMO Reid is a smarter guy than I am. He came in and took us from 2-14 to 11-5 and a damned-near playoff win. The next year with a tougher schedule he still got us a winning record.

He did that by doing things the same way he always had. And that is not working as well this year (though the Maclin deal hasn't exactly turned out to bad....right?). FACT. But I think he is a smart enough guy to figure out that he has to start doing things a little different instead of copying what he did before. He is still a VERY GOOD COACH....but he needs to loosen his grip on the play-calling. Not give it up entirely...just loosen his grip. Stick with being a coach rather than a coach and offensive coordinator.

I may be nuts, but I think the very best years of Reid's career are ahead of him....not in the past.

And I will stick with that opinion until he proves me wrong. And y'know....a bad 5 game streak doesn't prove that to me.

I think Hunt did the RIGHT THING by giving the Reid-Dorsey team a big vote of confidence Sunday. If I were Hunt I'd give them each a contract extension. Boost their confidence in the adversity we have seen this year. These guys can WIN! And they WILL!!! Maybe it will take 2-4 more years, but I've been waiting a long damned time for the Chiefs to be winners again. I can wait a little longer if I feel that the path the Coach/GM team is leading us on is basically sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    No doubt. The reason I asked is because I think Reid giving up some of his control over play-calling would be a good thing...whether he did that by giving Alex more control at the LOS or by giving a bit more play-calling responsibility to Pederson. Either way I think it could be good for the Chiefs. I'm just trying to find out if that is actually happening.
    yeah i hope moving forward he gains more control to audible out of disasters rather than burning timeouts, turnovers, etc. it'd be sweet to hand Denver its first loss.

Better than SWEET!

I hope soo smith needs to be able to audible he been in the league long enuff this was his best game and he needs keep that up!!