Thread: Thoughts during the Bills game

Default Thoughts during the Bills game

Well that happened.

What started looking VERY ugly ended up looking pretty good minus a thing here or there.

Weather. It did not look to me like this team adjusted well to the weather at the start of the game. I noticed they were slipping around a lot. It got better as the game went. But that was a part of the VERY ugly start IMO. They have to adjust better to weather. There's a good chance they will face it again going forward.

Adjustments. The past few years as soon as you were needing a Chiefs team to make an adjustment you might as well shut the game off. It just wasn't going to happen. Today they were able to do that. I don't think I ever saw a WR who did as well as Wakins did in the first half get shut out in the 2nd by a Chiefs team. WOW. Good job I hope to see more of this going forward.

A number 1 WR. I said this in the game thread but THIS is what it's like to have a number 1 WR. Look at the long pass to Maclin that set up the first TD. It wasn't a good throw at all. If that were Bowe it wouldn't have been caught. Maclin did what REAL number 1 WRS do. He went an GOT THE DAMN BALL. A WR can help a QB out sometimes. And that's what Maclin is able to do. That was a huge moment in the game IMO. It helped spark the offense. Who without Charles and west a O line that was getting hurt more and more they put up 30 points against what isn't that bad of a Defense.

Depth This continues the team of the last thought. I talked about it last week. The improved Depth of this team is AMAZING. Think about how bad this team looked just down Charles over the past few years. Look at them today it's just amazing. Anther huge tip of the cap to Mr. John Dorsey. He is truly doing a great job.

Alex Smith. Where was this Alex smith the first few weeks of the year? This is looking more like the Alex Smith of 2013. The early season Alex Smith was giving in as soon as there was any pressure at all. In lack of a better term he lost his balls. Well Alex or someone found them. Welcome back Alex. Hope this Alex Smith stays around the rest of the season.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Well that happened.

What started looking VERY ugly ended up looking pretty good minus a thing here or there.

Weather. It did not look to me like this team adjusted well to the weather at the start of the game. I noticed they were slipping around a lot. It got better as the game went. But that was a part of the VERY ugly start IMO. They have to adjust better to weather. There's a good chance they will face it again going forward.
    VERY TRUE. January football can be that way.

Adjustments. The past few years as soon as you were needing a Chiefs team to make an adjustment you might as well shut the game off. It just wasn't going to happen. Today they were able to do that. I don't think I ever saw a WR who did as well as Wakins did in the first half get shut out in the 2nd by a Chiefs team. WOW. Good job I hope to see more of this going forward.
    Doubly impressive when you think that the adjustments were being made not only for the enemy game plan but also for injuries. A MOST EXCELLENT JOB!!!

A number 1 WR. I said this in the game thread but THIS is what it's like to have a number 1 WR. Look at the long pass to Maclin that set up the first TD. It wasn't a good throw at all. If that were Bowe it wouldn't have been caught. Maclin did what REAL number 1 WRS do. He went an GOT THE DAMN BALL. A WR can help a QB out sometimes. And that's what Maclin is able to do. That was a huge moment in the game IMO. It helped spark the offense. Who without Charles and west a O line that was getting hurt more and more they put up 30 points against what isn't that bad of a Defense.

CAN I HEAR AN AMEN!!!!!

Depth This continues the team of the last thought. I talked about it last week. The improved Depth of this team is AMAZING. Think about how bad this team looked just down Charles over the past few years. Look at them today it's just amazing. Anther huge tip of the cap to Mr. John Dorsey. He is truly doing a great job.
    Exactly so!!!! Dorsey has done a fine job with his picks in rounds 1-3, but then everybody EXPECTS those guys to do well. IMO his real WOW! picks have been the guys he has gotten as UDFA, in the later rounds or on the waiver wire. In short-DEPTH. A lot of the credit for that goes to the coaching staff, but in the end it doesn't matter how good your coaching staff is if the raw material is no good.

Alex Smith. Where was this Alex smith the first few weeks of the year? This is looking more like the Alex Smith of 2013. The early season Alex Smith was giving in as soon as there was any pressure at all. In lack of a better term he lost his balls. Well Alex or someone found them. Welcome back Alex. Hope this Alex Smith stays around the rest of the season.
    YEP! I have a suspicion that improved play by the O-line helped Alex retrieve his nads. Lets hope the O-line injuries we suffered today will not be long lasting.

The weather was pretty bad, was very glad it wasn't freezing though. Playing wet is one thing; playing wet and bitter cold is another. One thought was maybe the Chiefs picked the wrong cleats (Some cleats have taller pegs/grips than the others, pick too short and in wet weather there's less traction). The other thought was teams trying to play the old trick of taking the visiting team out partying before the game to wear them out...and having it backfire.

Watkins & Maclin - Sammy Watkins is a for real WR. Amazed we shut him out as well as we did without having Justin Houston to rush the passer. Our answer back didn't really happen on defense as much as it did on offense, when Maclin stepped up and made some BIG catches. Really wish Conley would've been able to connect with Alex on that long pass in the end zone.

Alex Smith is not the problem on offense. He did miss a big pass play to Kelce in the end zone, though. Our biggest hurdle is our own playcalling! We're still effectively moving the ball, but the horizontal pass plays/screens get destroyed about the same time the ball leaves Alex Smith's hand.