Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Justin Houston out this week with knee injury

Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 48

Post Webnews: Justin Houston out this week with knee injury

0 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    Justin Houston is getting better, but he’s not there yet. Via Terez Paylor of he Kansas City Star, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Houston was out this week, along with center Mitch Morse and wide receiver De’Anthony Thomas. Houston suffered a hyperextended knee last week against the Bills, but they were encouraged by the progress…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Unbelievable !! This part of game i hate now!! The old days guys use play thourgh injurys like this omfg!! And rly 2 weeks out now on de'anthony thomas for concession what the hell!!! This most important game of season!!! There no heart in the game no more !! Ugh

Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 222

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcman View Post
    Unbelievable !! This part of game i hate now!! The old days guys use play thourgh injurys like this omfg!! And rly 2 weeks out now on de'anthony thomas for concession what the hell!!! This most important game of season!!! There no heart in the game no more !! Ugh
    And a lot of those old guys are dealing with serious brain damage right now. Dave Duerson and Junior Seau committed suicide
    because of the damage they suffered playing through their injuries.

Players are a lot bigger and faster now that they were in the "old days." When my Bears won the Super Bowl 30 years ago, William Perry was nicknamed "refrigerator" because he was almost 300 lbs. The Chiefs alone have 10 guys on their roster, right now, who are over 300 lbs.

These guys have their futures to think about and providing for their families. But you don't care about that. "Play hurt! Risk the rest of your lives! I wanna see some big hits. Entertain me!!!"

Besides, guys who are playing badly hurt probably won't play as well as their backups, anyway. Just look at Peyton Manning, for example.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 368

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed Roy your health is more important than being entertained

Thumbs Up
    Received: 919
    Given: 2,585

1 Not allowed!
    The whole concussion protocol thing is annoying. Or anyway it is to me as a fan. But it is necessary if football is to survive. With the way juries hand out settlements in lawsuits there is no choice. If juries took a more reasonable (IMO) attitude and said..."You knew the dangers going in and you chose to play anyway so no, you are not entitled to any money" things would be different.

2 examples. 25 years ago a fellow went and bought himself a fine new Winchester rifle and promptly shot his toe off. The jury awarded him something like $2.3 million on the grounds that nowhere on the rifle or manual did it tell him he could seriously hurt himself. WTF!!!??? If the guy was so STUPID he didn't know he could hurt himself with a rifle then his genes should have been removed from the gene pool anyway. Now all new guns say right on the barrel to read the manual.

And then there was that gal that spilled hot McDonald's coffee on her lap and burned her crotch. She got a few million $$$. WTF???!!! She was so stupid she didn't know that hot coffee could burn her??? REALLY???? She too should have been removed from the gene pool instead of being rewarded for her stupidity. Now McDonald's coffee cups have a warning on them.

We should reward personal responsibility rather than rewarding terminal stupidity.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't agree with you more, CCF, on the whole injury lawsuits thing. You don't see firefighters suing the city because they suffered smoke inhalation or got burned while doing their jobs.

That having been said, it's not just the lawsuits. We know a lot more now about taking care of our bodies, and the risks and damage that certain injuries, especially concussions, can do to us.

Back in the "Golden Age" of football, especially before the merger, and before contracts got so large and the league became so profitable, guys often played hurt partly because they didn't know any better and partly because they had to. The back-ups usually weren't that good and neither was the pay, so the feared if they lost their job due to injury they would lose their meager incomes. There were many who played both offense and defense, because, due to the relatively low pay, not many people played football most of their lives to become great at it.

Today great players like Justin Houston are considered huge assets and teams feel like they have to protect their investments and make sure these guys can perform at a high level when they ARE healthy. They pay a lot more attention to building depth than they used to so they can bring the "next man up" when necessary and still be competitive. And I think we have a better product on the field because of it.

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 57

0 Not allowed!
    Ctc hit the nail on head !!! This is football they no the risk going in!!! This game has people get hurt and a bruised knee nothing to miss a game for i never seen a bruised knee get worse ....just saying and 2 weeks out for concussion rly!!! Thats crazy!!! Look at allen he maned up went back in the game and played and he playing this week hurt!!! Now thats a football player !!!! there time you going get banged up..i get it ...but there a thing called heart to and just like allen did hurt and went back out there for the team and played hard!! Jc played all of last year banged up!! You shouldnt miss a game over a bruised knee thats just crap.. And 2 weeks for concussion that just crazy ..

Thumbs Up
    Received: 368

0 Not allowed!
    Kcman your wrong pal, concussions are nothing under any circumstances you mess around with, were talking about something that messes with you're mind, we have no right to say they are doing anything wrong cause their not, take all the time you need guys its not worth you're life

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    KCMan, it's clear that you know next to nothing about human physiology. Do you have any idea what a concussion even is? It occurs when the head is hit so hard that the brain slams into the skull and causes a bruise (which is internal bleeding). It is literally damage to the brain. They take a minimum of 7 to 10 days to heal and that is for minor concussions. In more severe cases they can take several weeks to heal.

Morse still has concussion symptoms and that means he still has a concussion. Even a minor impact before the concussion has healed could do major damage, possibly permanent damage. It simply isn't worth the risk (or the potential lawsuit) just to entertain you.

And Houston does not have a bruised knee; he has a hyper-extended knee. His lower leg was bent in the wrong direction. This causes torn ligaments, which is another term for a knee sprain. How is he supposed to play football if he can't put any weight on one of his knees? I'll tell how he would play. Poorly. Playing on that weakened knee before it has fully healed would likely cause an ACL or an MCL tear. Do you want Houston to miss the rest of season (like Jamaal Charles) just so you can watch him get after the quarterback one more time before he injures his knee again? Because if he plays against the Raiders, that is exactly what will happen.

You blame the players and talk about the "good old days" when men were men. Believe me, if it were up to them Morse and Houston would both be out on the field, but it's not. The Chiefs medical staff is holding them out because they are not healthy enough to play, yet, and because it is the RIGHT thing to do, whether you like it or not.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 12-06-2015 at 03:32 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 919
    Given: 2,585

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more, CCF, on the whole injury lawsuits thing. You don't see firefighters suing the city because they suffered smoke inhalation or got burned while doing their jobs.

That having been said, it's not just the lawsuits. We know a lot more now about taking care of our bodies, and the risks and damage that certain injuries, especially concussions, can do to us.

Back in the "Golden Age" of football, especially before the merger, and before contracts got so large and the league became so profitable, guys often played hurt partly because they didn't know any better and partly because they had to. The back-ups usually weren't that good and neither was the pay, so the feared if they lost their job due to injury they would lose their meager incomes. There were many who played both offense and defense, because, due to the relatively low pay, not many people played football most of their lives to become great at it.

Today great players like Justin Houston are considered huge assets and teams feel like they have to protect their investments and make sure these guys can perform at a high level when they ARE healthy. They pay a lot more attention to building depth than they used to so they can bring the "next man up" when necessary and still be competitive. And I think we have a better product on the field because of it.
    Roy.....You make some good points. Football is no longer a "game you can get paid pretty good money for" it's a business. A HUGE MONEY business. Players are more valuable than Google stock. Firefighters....just wait. That day will come. I'm not young anymore. Doubt you are either. But we will probably live to see the day when they go to court saying they had no idea that the job was dangerous.

At a difficult time in my life I spent 8 years as a house painter. Spent untold months running an orbital sander on lead base paint. No fancy respirator. Just do the job. Now I can't breathe very well any more. And other things don't work like they are supposed to. Cigarettes probably didn't help either. Won't see me taking anyone to court though. I knew the risks. I was just dumb and figured I was un-killable. Wish I had been making the kind of money (adjusted for inflation) that football players made back in the 60's. So be it. 40 years from now the NFL will be flag football.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast