Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charles Barkley just said football players are...

Default Charles Barkley just said football players are...

...football players because they are not good enough to be basket ball players!

He said the big guys are too fat to play basketball, and the blah, blah, blah...

I like that dude, he is funny, but wtf?

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Rain or Shine...right?

I think you meant whether...
    Heh! Yeah, that is the only problem with firefox; it catches my spelling errors but not my grammatical blunders.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    The problem I have with that statement is that while he was playing he was a role model weather he wanted to be or not.
    Exactly.

When an athlete joins the ranks of their respective sports elite level, they have a responsibility to represent themselves in a way that kids can emulate.

These guys have an influence on us, dude.

Think what a kid is learning from their behavior.

Do what you want after your out of the league, but be professional when you are in it.

Still think Barkley is a crack up though.

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Exactly.

When an athlete joins the ranks of their respective sports elite level, they have a responsibility to represent themselves in a way that kids can emulate.

These guys have an influence on us, dude.

Think what a kid is learning from their behavior.

Do what you want after your out of the league, but be professional when you are in it.

Still think Barkley is a crack up though.

...Couldn't agree more bud!

Rep!

I imagine that Charles was jsut being Charles, and giving football players a hard time, in jest. I've heard him say that he had no business being smacked around on the football field, before.

Just to make a point...Barkley said he isn't a role model, but unlike too many of today's punks he composed himself in a manner that was reasonable and honorable. He didn't get in trouble with the law, or beat women, do drugs or even get DUIs that I'm aware of. He had a bit of a temper on the court, but really most good players do get pretty intense.

I like the guy, and I think his main point is that if he is your kids main role model, your kid has some serious problems at home...YOU!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Just to make a point...Barkley said he isn't a role model, but unlike too many of today's punks he composed himself in a manner that was reasonable and honorable. He didn't get in trouble with the law, or beat women, do drugs or even get DUIs that I'm aware of. He had a bit of a temper on the court, but really most good players do get pretty intense.

I like the guy, and I think his main point is that if he is your kids main role model, your kid has some serious problems at home...YOU!!!
    I've heard this line of reasoning before, and perhaps it is the case as far as he is concerned, however, it does not negate the fact that when these guys place themselves in the lime light then there are going to be kids that look up to them regardless of whether or not they want them to.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 11-02-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Well said...rep added.

I agree that these guys should compose themselves in a manner that is in line with being a leader and role model in your community. However my point was that Sir Charles did so, even though he stated that he shouldn't be considered a role model.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Well said...rep added.

I agree that these guys should compose themselves in a manner that is in line with being a leader and role model in your community. However my point was that Sir Charles did so, even though he stated that he shouldn't be considered a role model.
    Well said, and I agree; his on court extra curricular activities seem to pale in comparison to the kind of garbage that goes on today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12