Thread: LA Dodgers to hire Joe Torre

Default LA Dodgers to hire Joe Torre

Report: Dodgers to fire manager Little, hire Torre

Report: Dodgers to fire manager Little, hire Torre
    td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }October 30, 2007
    By PA SportsTicker The Los Angeles Dodgers are planning on firing manager Grady Little and replacing him with former New York Yankees manager Joe Torre, according to multiple reports. Citing sources, the Journal-News of Westchester, New York said the announcement of Torre's hiring could come as early as Tuesday.

The New York Times, quoting two major league officials who requested anonymity, also reported Torre's imminent hiring but did not give a timetable.

Torre has been on the market since turning down a one-year offer to remain as manager of the Yankees on October 18. He had been with the Yankees for 12 seasons, winning four World Series championships and leading the team to the playoffs every season he was in charge in the Bronx.
    Torre, 67, owns a .539 (2067-1770) winning percentage over 26 seasons in the majors that have also included stops with the New York Mets, Atlanta Braves and the St. Louis Cardinals.
    Along with the possible hire of Torre, it is being reported that his bench coach, Don Mattingly, may be joining him in the same role that he manned for one season with the Yankees after spending three seasons as their hitting coach.
    Mattingly was one of the three finalists for the vacancy created by the departure of Torre last week before the Yankees offered the job to former Marlins manager Joe Girardi on Monday. It had been reported earlier in the day that Mattingly would not accept a position on the new Yankees coaching staff.
    Interestingly, a move to Los Angeles would reunite Mattingly with the organization that drafted his son, Preston, in the first round of the 2006 major league draft.
    Little, who has led the Dodgers to winning seasons in each of his two seasons at the helm, led Los Angeles to a disappointing 82-80 finish last season, eight games behind the eventual National League West Division champion Arizona Diamondbacks. Despite never enduring a losing season in four seasons with the Dodgers and Boston Red Sox and compiling a .552 winning percentage (358-290), Little will have lasted just two seasons with each team.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

I knew the guy wouldn't retire.

Wish Kansas City had the money to hire a guy like that.

Good on ya mate!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

As a SF Giants fan, I'm not too thrilled to see Joe Torre managing in our division.
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    As a SF Giants fan, I'm not too thrilled to see Joe Torre managing in our division.
    Your saying he can't really win against division rivals right?

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I'm saying I'm NOT thrilled, in other words, he'll be a huge upgrade over Grady "Pedro who" Little.