Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random thoughts about Chiefs/Texans playoffs game

Default Random thoughts about Chiefs/Texans playoffs game

1- Welcome to Brian hoyer's nightmare. The Chiefs spent 60 football minutes in his head. That D was scary good today. Actually as hard as it is to imagine, they were better than I thought they would be. And yes, our player with the opponent's home name has that much impact. Additionally, Poe was a monster today and our D-line owned their O-line.

2- So much for the Texans wanting us as their first opponent. Beware of what you ask for. You may get it.

3- Irony. The last time the Chiefs won a playoffs game was at Houston and behind an ex 49er QB. Eerie, no?

4- Gotta get a thank you Knile davis out of the way and set the tempo. Crazy kickoff return to start the game with. Too bad he will wear someone else's uniform next season.

5- I have been *****ing for weeks about how our offense tend to sputter in the second half of games contributing to our D getting tired and almost pissing away leads. This game was the opposite of that. Thank heavens! ... We took 4 turnovers from Houston in the first half and still had a shaky (by our history) lead of only 13 points. In a fair scenario we should have scored 10 more points in the first half. By that 'fair scenario' description, we left at least 13 points on the field today for the game. this actually should have been a bigger blowout than it was. But Hey, a 30-0 shutout. Can't complain about that. And for once I have all of my fingernails after a Chiefs game.

6- Alex had a much more confident game in the second half than in the first. I don't know what confidence juice they injected him with at halftime but it worked. The INT he threw was a direct result of the sack in the previous play. The Alex of the first half allowed that to mess with his mind. The Alex of the 2nd half was a much more commanding and self assured presence.

7- Wilson had a subpar game. He should have stretched for the early bomb, and he didn't. He should have (easily) dragged his toe when he got that sideline catch in the 2nd half for a 1st down. Instead we ended up punting. And he had that very costly holding on Alex's epic 56 yard run that was called back. With Maclin possibly done, Wilson needs to bring his A-game from this point on.

8- When Maclin went down I was thinking Chris Conley needs to grow up fast. I hope Maclin's injury is not as bad as his face showed, but I have a bad feeling. this is the same knee he tore an ACL in twice before. Back to Conley, he caught a pretty nice TD pass. shortly after he became the regular receiver. If Gods of football want Maclin done for the year, then maybe they should allow us a similar scenario as with Jamaal's injury aftermath. Maybe, just maybe, this is chris Conley's turn to come of age.

9- Travis Kelce's head has been somewhat of a mush after that dumb fumble of 5 or 6 weeks ago. I really really wanted him to have a good self esteem rebuilding game today. Happy to say he came through. He had 128 yards and his 8 catches late in the game tied for most in a playoff game in Chiefs' history. Now I made that note before the game was over. Maybe he caught another one and broke the record. I'm not sure.

10- I have quit focusing on the offensive line for many weeks now. They are getting the job done. Jah Reid coming in at RG and playing solid? Fulton playing center with no discernible drop-off? Stephenson playing well? Is this the Twilight Zone? Especially when you consider who they had to line up against? One not though: I love Fisher's newfound ATTITUDE. But that one play against an already down JJ Watt was borderline dirty. Reminded me of old Oakland players. I wouldn't be surprised if the league penalises him this week. But I say, Fish, good for you. Keep the attitude.

11- Talking about JJ Watt is a good segway to Andy Reid's play calling. Great for the most part. Chuckie was salivating over all the calls designed to neutralize JJ. But the it wouldn't be Andy Reid if there wasn't at least one stupid awful call in the game. I'm talking about the 3rd and 1 call late in the first as we were repeatedly having Spencer Ware successfully stomp all over their D. So what does Andy do with the 3rd and 1? he pitches back for a loss. So instead of going into the locker room 20-0 or at least 17-0 we ended up with the aforementioned shaky halftime lead. And while we are at it, Andy should have pulled Alex and a more starters a lot sooner than when he did. Why expose them to injury?

12- Last week I boasted about my sometimes Nostradamus premonitions during the game. Well, low and behold it happened twice this week. Once when I told my wife to watch for a Peters INT, and boom,... it happened! Another time, was when Houston had a 1st and goal on our 2. When they brought in JJ and another defender on offense, I texted to my son this: "They get cute and deserve a fumble." well they didn't quite fumble, but they tossed an INT to Mauga. Same effect. :) As a bonus, when I noticed that JJ had groin problems I texted, "I would call plays that make JJ run sideways. With that groin he'll be limited." Well right there we passed a sideways pass to Maclin and JJ reaggravated his injury and went out. I won't take any pride in that one because maclin got hurt there too.

13- Phantom pass interference calls were called against us AT LEAST several times. Our defender would fingertip touch their receiver and boom,... PI!!!... Ridiculous. That many bad calls can cost a team a game. Another reason to be proud of the Chiefs win today.

14- They said on the tube that this was only the third game in the history of the NFL that a road team in the playoffs won by 30 or more. WOW!

15- I am rooting for Pitt to win tonight. Because if they do we go to NE next week. I prefer that because Houston has a lot of NE influence. Many of their coaches and players are ex Patriots. Stands to reason that if we have already prepared for that style, we find it easier preparing for NE in one week than for Denver. Maybe if we manage to beat a depleted NE with an injured Tom Brady we can better get ready for the winner of Denver Pitt. Especially if maclin's injury is just a bruise an not season ending. He won't be available in a week. But in two week?..... Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    17- Is it me or do the Chiefs play more better on the road than at Arrowhead this year? I gotta check that out. Because the rest of our games are on the road, including the Super Bowl.
    Correct. Starting with the game in London against the Lions, the Chiefs have been so-so at Arrowhead, but have been on a RAMPAGE when playing on the road. I want another crack at the Donkeys, as the taste of that week 2 debacle at Arrowhead is still bitter. Beating the Donkeys in Donkeytown twice would be really sweet payback.

Just like the Texas who wanted to play the Chiefs be careful what you wish for. Manning is now back and fresh, if they beat Pitt next week I hope Pitts defense wears him down some.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Just like the Texas who wanted to play the Chiefs be careful what you wish for. Manning is now back and fresh, if they beat Pitt next week I hope Pitts defense wears him down some.
    that's part of my reasoning for #15 (OP). We don't know how fresh Manning is. Let him get some roughing up and leave fresh films of him to watch. The manning of two weeks from now is less dangerous than the one of next week because of those factors. Also we want to catch Brady still suffering from high ankle sprain.

OMG, I meant to include this and I forgot. Better late tha never:

18- Two pretty 49 yard field goals and a shorter ugly but successful ones. Kudos to Cairo Santos. He answered a lot of questions on Saturday. Cool under the pressure of a playoff game, he delivered when asked.

And, BTW, did you know the previous longest playoffs FG in the history of the Chiefs was 48 yards by the legend, Jan Stenerud? Santos broke that record, not once, but twice.

...The previous longest playoffs FG in the history of the Chiefs was 48 yards by the legend, Jan Stenerud? Santos broke that record, not once, but twice.
    Kudos to Cairo! And someone, here, was saying just a few days ago that we need to replace him!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Kudos to Cairo! And someone, here, was saying just a few days ago that we need to replace him!
    Now that I think about it, Santos had the best day place-kicking of any Chiefs kicker since Jan Stenerud in Super Bowl IV.

OMG, I meant to include this and I forgot. Better late tha never:

18- Two pretty 49 yard field goals and a shorter ugly but successful ones. Kudos to Cairo Santos. He answered a lot of questions on Saturday. Cool under the pressure of a playoff game, he delivered when asked.

And, BTW, did you know the previous longest playoffs FG in the history of the Chiefs was 48 yards by the legend, Jan Stenerud? Santos broke that record, not once, but twice.

technically, he only broke the record once, and then tied it ;)
    Originally from Tonganoxie, KS.

Happily married in Australia!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickheadKCAU View Post
    technically, he only broke the record once, and then tied it ;)
    Or, he broke the old record twice.

Or he set a new record, then tied it!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Wasn't me!

PMSL!!!

i see what i did....

go chiefs!!
    Originally from Tonganoxie, KS.

Happily married in Australia!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12