Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relocation Approved

Default Relocation Approved

Rams to relocate to L.A.; Chargers first option to join

Dan Hanzus
    Around the NFL Writer
    +Follow on Twitter
    VIDEO LOADING
    WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
    WATCH MORE VIDEOS
    REPLAYCommissioner Goodell talks about Rams' move to L.A.00:00/03:09
    The Los Angeles Rams are back.

NFL owners in Houston voted 30-2 to ratify the Rams' relocation application for an immediate move to L.A., where the team will eventually begin play at owner Stan Kroenke's proposed stadium site in Inglewood in 2019. It's a seismic decision that returns the highest level of professional football to the country's second-largest media market after a 21-year absence.

The Rams could be joined by the Chargers, who have a one-year option to decide if they want to relocate and join the Rams in Inglewood. The window creates the possibility -- however slight -- that the Chargers could remain in San Diego. The city is hosting a June vote for $350 million in public funding toward a new facility to replace Qualcomm Stadium. It is possible the Chargers put off a final decision until that vote takes place.

The Raiders -- the third team that had L.A. aspirations -- withdrew their application for relocation on Tuesday and will work with the league toward a stadium solution, most likely in Oakland. If the Chargers do not exercise their option to move to Los Angeles, the Raiders will have a one-year option to join the Rams in Inglewood.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said during a Tuesday night news conference that the league will provide $100 million to both the Chargers and Raiders if they remain in their current home markets.

"I will be working over the next several weeks to explore these options that we have now created for ourselves to determine the best path forward for the Chargers," said Chargers owner Dean Spanos.

The Chargers and owner Dean Spanos had been in a partnership with the Raiders for a proposed stadium site in Carson, California, but NFL Media's Judy Battista reported that there was "strong opposition" for a Silver & Black return to Los Angeles.

The win for Los Angeles is very much a loss for NFL fans in St. Louis. The NFL had not had a team relocate since the Houston Oilers moved to Nashville in 1997. On Tuesday, the Rams lost their second NFL team, as the Rams followed in the footsteps of the Cardinals, who left the city for Phoenix before the 1988 season.

"The NFL ignored the facts, the loyalty of St. Louis fans, who supported the team through far more downs than ups, and the NFL ignored a strong market and viable plan for a new stadium," St. Louis mayor Francis Slay said in a statement. "I am proud of our effort and what St. Louis was able to accomplish in an extraordinarily short period of time. I thank everyone who worked so diligently on this project, especially the Governor’s Task Force."

"Relocation is a painful process," Goodell said. "It's painful for the fans, the communities, the teams, for the league in general. Stability is something that we've taken a great deal of pride in and in some ways a bittersweet moment because we were unsuccessful in being able to get the kind of facilities that we wanted to get done in their home markets."

The Rams played in the Los Angeles area for 48 years before moving to St. Louis prior to the 1995 season. St. Louis made a strong effort to keep the Rams, submitting a plan to the league for a $1.1 billion venue on the city's riverfront. Rams owner Stan Kroenke was determined to return the franchise to L.A., however.

"We understand the emotions involved of our fans and it's not easy to do these things," Kroenke said. "They are purposely made hard, but we're here today. We made a decision and we worked long and hard at the various alternatives. When they didn't succeed we worked to this point."

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    St louis cant really complain. Rams just went back were they started. Also as a business decision LA has to be more profitable for renting the stadium out for concerts. More than just football side of it. Maybe the chargers or raiders will move to st louis. But cant fault a team going back where they started.
    I disagree

I think that a lot of how it happened is what has them upset.

If Kroenke had just said it was a business decision then I don't think there would be near the level of bitterness for the move then what there is.

Instead he bashed the city put a lame halfass attempt to make it look like he was working with the city and then took off for what he wanted all along.

St.Louis was willing to put a LOT of money into building a new stadium. He's building one in LA with HIS money.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I disagree

If Kroenke had just said it was a business decision then I don't think there would be near the level of bitterness for the move then what there is.

Instead he bashed the city put a lame halfass attempt to make it look like he was working with the city and then took off for what he wanted all along.

St.Louis was willing to put a LOT of money into building a new stadium. He's building one in LA with HIS money.

Yes with his own money so he has a right to choose where he wants to invest his money. He had to act like he wanted to woro things out cuz thats their rules. If there wasnt a rule in place he probably would ha e just came out and said hes moving and honest upfront. I see both sides. Id be pissed if chiefs ever left kc as well. But i cant blame anyone.

The only good from this story is that the owner is actually footing the bill for the stadium, everything else is stupid.

I feel bad for St. Louis fans, but its hard to get going in that city when the Cards and Blues have better numbers than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I disagree

Yep, people want owners and the NFL to pay for the stadium, well don't get mad if the owner is like "Hey i can make more money over there, Later"

Looking back, there were definite signs that Kroenke bought the Rams to take them back to LA. He was on a LA committee as far back as 2002. The fact that he had not communicated with the fan base in 4 years was a tell tale sign as well. He had his puppet Demoff spewing b.s. about how they envisioned staying in St. Louis for years to come. It also didn't help that the team had gone 15-65 over a 5 year period. It had really drained on the fans.

In my opinion and many others, the fix was in with Goodell and Kroenke from the time he bought the Rams until now. St. Louis had agreed to 400 million dollars in public money, but apparently this was not good enough. Kroenke simply didn't want to be here, and his greed and appetite for LA was too strong. Even if they had stayed, the fans wouldn't have been happy with him as an owner. He would have had to sell, and that was pretty far fetched.

I was initially angry and disappointed, but I'm now at peace. I'm looking forward to cheering on the Chiefs and plan to make a trip to KC next season for a game.

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by STLChiefsfan View Post
    I was initially angry and disappointed, but I'm now at peace. I'm looking forward to cheering on the Chiefs and plan to make a trip to KC next season for a game.

Thanks for the welcome!
    As a lifelong out-of-area Chiefs fan I feel bad for you guys. I lived in DC when Irsay snuck the Colts out of Baltimore in the middle of the night. It took a long damned time for the city of Baltimore to recover. On the bright side, y'all now get an opportunity to be fans of THE BEST TEAM IN THE NFL which also happens to be the Tailgating capitol of the world.

Yeah I'm very upset with how the NFL handled the relocation situation. Kroenke and the NFL showed no desire to take care of STL and in the end we were left hanging. Anyways I decided to join the Chiefs fanbase so I guess you can call me a bandwagon fan, but I hope to become a big fan of a great organization for years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by STLChiefs95 View Post
    Yeah I'm very upset with how the NFL handled the relocation situation. Kroenke and the NFL showed no desire to take care of STL and in the end we were left hanging. Anyways I decided to join the Chiefs fanbase so I guess you can call me a bandwagon fan, but I hope to become a big fan of a great organization for years to come!
    I wouldn't call you a bandwagon fan. You kept your fan status in your own state. That is not bandwaggoning.

I guess the Chiefs will win all the future Governor's Cups by default since the Rams fled the state

Quote Originally Posted by STLChiefs95 View Post
    Jeff, I'm hoping more St. Louis, MO fans jump on the bandwagon. Welcome aboard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast