Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts about Chiefs/Patriots playoffs game

Default Random thoughts about Chiefs/Patriots playoffs game

1- Thank you KC Chiefs. It was a great ride. 11 in a row, after we all had left you for dead. 12 would have been nice, but you have already treated us to a great season.

2- This was another reason to lament the stupid loss in the 2nd week to the dirty Donks. We lost that game more on our own than on any Denver prowess. Without that loss we win the division and play a woefully depleted Pittsburgh Steelers at Arrowhead tomorrow. EVERY freaking game in the NFL regular season means something and losing just one can come back to bite us in the behind.

3- This was a game of two teams who were on two different trajectories. NE had all of their crucial players back and rested. We, for all practical purposes, were without Maclin, Houston, Ware, and DAT. Not to mention Jamaal Charles and Half of Tamba hali.

4- #2 looms large here, because we would have won this game if WE were the ones who had the opportunity to rest our banged up players and playing the Pats at Arrowhead.

Now enough of positives and justifications (notice I did not say excuses). To be fair lets get a bit negative here:

5- In the first half the Pats had two long drives to our two. They finished theirs with TDs and we only came up with FGs. We left 8 points on the field. Guess what, we lost the game by 7. If we want to play the big boys and beat them for the big prize we need to learn to finish our drives.

6- Travis Kelce, I'm still a big fan, but if you don't want to be called Baby Gronk you don't disappear. You got a lot of work to do and dedication to get to the next step. Use the off season to get Gronky.

7- Hammond is a better receiver than a kick returner. But that's not saying much. He needed to take one home to get back to my good graces. He didn't. I had a feeling DAT would have had one today. I am very excited about Chris Conley and I think he will have a break out year next season, but we should still add to our WR quality either from the draft or FA market.

8- Speaking of receivers (a temporary return to positives) Jason Avant was our best receiver today. Kudos.

9- Alex wasn't sharp on his deep throws. The pass to Maclin with Maclin having a step on the defender should have been 6. He was high on a couple of other deep throws to.

10- (Another temporary return to positives) Alex did have an overall good game. Alex had some effective runs for 1st down and good short/intermediate passes. On a 3rd and 7 he did a total Russel Wilson and avoided like 4 sure sacks in one play and connected with Avant for a much needed 1st down. Matt Cassel would have crapped his pants 4 times in one play there.

11- The stadium was almost Arrowhead-loud and it affected our O. Don't these guys know they live in Boston?! Anyway I chalk up Fisher's jump and the earlier delay penalty to the loudness of the stadium. Fulton did not hear Alex's signals and was late with the snap. Just another way to say home stadium is a warm and fuzzy place in the playoffs.

12- Andy Reid = at least one stupid sequence in time management. But I think he is the best HC we have had since the great Hank Stram.

13- The offense was not the main reason we lost. Sad to say, I blame the D a bit more. They played subpar to the standard they have spoiled us with. Sutton had no answer for Edelman. The two step drop and quick toss to him was working for them all day. And where was DJ? And is it me or did sean Smith leave his heart in KC?

14- Knile was playing with a chip on his shoulder and then he inexplicably fumbled. I doubt if he is with us next year. I will miss his returns though.

15- The 42 yard pass in the 3rd quarter from the golden boy to Martin originating from their 2 yard line was pure luck. Brady was aiming for Gronk whom we had covered with 3 defenders. Martin was running the wrong route (too close to Gronk) and found himself with a gift ball. That, along with the game sealing deflected pass that ended up in Edelman's grasp for 1st down were incredible strokes of luck worthy of Denver Broncos. The latter could have very well wound up in the hands of our defender for a last minute game-tying pick 6. Frustrating.

Now let's finish with more positive thoughts.

16- This team played far from its A-game and only lost to a sharp Brady and a fully loaded New England club that was playing very close to THEIR A-game in their house. Considering all of our essential players who did not contribute, I am very proud to be a KC Chiefs fan.

17- There are things to be excited about. I truly think Dee Ford will have a breakout year next year. I hope Hali stays and plays at least on a part time basis to extend his career with us. Also as I mentioned, I think we will see Chris Conley get over the hump and become a dangerous receiver. I also actually think our Oline is one very good RT away from approaching awesome next year. Maybe Decker in the first round? Barring injuries, next year could be ours for glory. Let's hope so.
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 01-16-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Great read Franenchief!

I, too, would like to thank the Chiefs, Coach for creating the Crowd and all the great Chiefs fans who make the Crowd home throughout the year! Thanks to all my fellow Mods and a special thanks to Topeka Roy for all the awesome game day threads. Your all great Chiefs fans!

at some point, the chiefs defenders should have jumped into a pass earlier than they did... it was obvious the pats would throw as long as the chiefs were giving those cushions.

by rights, the d should have had at least three int's if they had been more aggressive.
    Originally from Tonganoxie, KS.

Happily married in Australia!!

Frankenchief....

I'll respond in some detail tomorrow, for now I'll add.....

#18...Sean Smith....You had a GOLDEN PICK-6 early on when it was 7-3. I know....that ball was bouncing around in the air, but MAN YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD THAT!!!!!! Would have changed the whole momentum of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Frankenchief....

#18...Sean Smith....You had a GOLDEN PICK-6 early on when it was 7-3. I know....that ball was bouncing around in the air, but MAN YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD THAT!!!!!! Would have changed the whole momentum of the game.
    I haven't watched the game yet, but from what I keep hearing, even the ball didn't take the right bounce in the game against NE.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I haven't watched the game yet, but from what I keep hearing, even the ball didn't take the right bounce in the game against NE.
    Yup. The "breaks" did not go our way at all....at least not for the 2 quarters I got to watch.

Central mass . Basketball coach for 30 years , retired school teacher providence college golf coach

The deeper team prevailed however I cant wait for next year when we get healthy plus through free agency we needore skilled people to facilitate Alex smith . Stop crying about clock management read comments by smith. No way we were going to score even if we did use those 2 timeouts. It is an honor to talk to all my chief friends on line Go tomahawk 2016-17

To me, there were 3-4 main reasons we lost this game.
    1. The Knile Davis fumble. The Chiefs got the ball to start the 2nd half and were marching down the field. They were already in FG range when Knile Davis pulled a 'Knile Davis'. That was an enormous momentum shift. Good riddance Knile.
    2. No pass rush. We've seen it so many times under this DC. We can beat bad/avg qb's without a healthy pass rush. But to beat good QB's, we have to get solid pass rush. No Houston, no Hali, big problems. Brady systematically picked us apart. New England's game plan was the same as the Denver 2nd half game plan against us in the 1st game. Spread us out, quick passes, and we can't stop it with our scheme.
    3. Jason Avant was our best receiver tonight. That should tell you plenty. Avant couldn't make another roster in the NFL, much less be the best option. The loss of Maclin was too much to overcome against another good offense.

There were other issues like clock management, dropped int's, etc. But not having Maclin, Jamaal Charles, Justin Houston, and others proved to be too much to overcome when playing on the road against a great team. Kudos to this team for breaking the playoff curse. This was likely an end to an era for this defense. Tamba, DJ, Berry, and Sean Smith are all big question marks to return.
    Last edited by Coach; 01-17-2016 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Frankenchief....

I think he would have been tripped up but very least would have been an int

Btw, slot receiver is a gaping hole on our roster. It needs to be addressed this offseason. Every scoring drive took 10+ plays. We need a more explosive offense. Overall, this season was a step in the right direction but there are many holes on this roster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast