Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts about Chiefs/Patriots playoffs game

Default Random thoughts about Chiefs/Patriots playoffs game

1- Thank you KC Chiefs. It was a great ride. 11 in a row, after we all had left you for dead. 12 would have been nice, but you have already treated us to a great season.

2- This was another reason to lament the stupid loss in the 2nd week to the dirty Donks. We lost that game more on our own than on any Denver prowess. Without that loss we win the division and play a woefully depleted Pittsburgh Steelers at Arrowhead tomorrow. EVERY freaking game in the NFL regular season means something and losing just one can come back to bite us in the behind.

3- This was a game of two teams who were on two different trajectories. NE had all of their crucial players back and rested. We, for all practical purposes, were without Maclin, Houston, Ware, and DAT. Not to mention Jamaal Charles and Half of Tamba hali.

4- #2 looms large here, because we would have won this game if WE were the ones who had the opportunity to rest our banged up players and playing the Pats at Arrowhead.

Now enough of positives and justifications (notice I did not say excuses). To be fair lets get a bit negative here:

5- In the first half the Pats had two long drives to our two. They finished theirs with TDs and we only came up with FGs. We left 8 points on the field. Guess what, we lost the game by 7. If we want to play the big boys and beat them for the big prize we need to learn to finish our drives.

6- Travis Kelce, I'm still a big fan, but if you don't want to be called Baby Gronk you don't disappear. You got a lot of work to do and dedication to get to the next step. Use the off season to get Gronky.

7- Hammond is a better receiver than a kick returner. But that's not saying much. He needed to take one home to get back to my good graces. He didn't. I had a feeling DAT would have had one today. I am very excited about Chris Conley and I think he will have a break out year next season, but we should still add to our WR quality either from the draft or FA market.

8- Speaking of receivers (a temporary return to positives) Jason Avant was our best receiver today. Kudos.

9- Alex wasn't sharp on his deep throws. The pass to Maclin with Maclin having a step on the defender should have been 6. He was high on a couple of other deep throws to.

10- (Another temporary return to positives) Alex did have an overall good game. Alex had some effective runs for 1st down and good short/intermediate passes. On a 3rd and 7 he did a total Russel Wilson and avoided like 4 sure sacks in one play and connected with Avant for a much needed 1st down. Matt Cassel would have crapped his pants 4 times in one play there.

11- The stadium was almost Arrowhead-loud and it affected our O. Don't these guys know they live in Boston?! Anyway I chalk up Fisher's jump and the earlier delay penalty to the loudness of the stadium. Fulton did not hear Alex's signals and was late with the snap. Just another way to say home stadium is a warm and fuzzy place in the playoffs.

12- Andy Reid = at least one stupid sequence in time management. But I think he is the best HC we have had since the great Hank Stram.

13- The offense was not the main reason we lost. Sad to say, I blame the D a bit more. They played subpar to the standard they have spoiled us with. Sutton had no answer for Edelman. The two step drop and quick toss to him was working for them all day. And where was DJ? And is it me or did sean Smith leave his heart in KC?

14- Knile was playing with a chip on his shoulder and then he inexplicably fumbled. I doubt if he is with us next year. I will miss his returns though.

15- The 42 yard pass in the 3rd quarter from the golden boy to Martin originating from their 2 yard line was pure luck. Brady was aiming for Gronk whom we had covered with 3 defenders. Martin was running the wrong route (too close to Gronk) and found himself with a gift ball. That, along with the game sealing deflected pass that ended up in Edelman's grasp for 1st down were incredible strokes of luck worthy of Denver Broncos. The latter could have very well wound up in the hands of our defender for a last minute game-tying pick 6. Frustrating.

Now let's finish with more positive thoughts.

16- This team played far from its A-game and only lost to a sharp Brady and a fully loaded New England club that was playing very close to THEIR A-game in their house. Considering all of our essential players who did not contribute, I am very proud to be a KC Chiefs fan.

17- There are things to be excited about. I truly think Dee Ford will have a breakout year next year. I hope Hali stays and plays at least on a part time basis to extend his career with us. Also as I mentioned, I think we will see Chris Conley get over the hump and become a dangerous receiver. I also actually think our Oline is one very good RT away from approaching awesome next year. Maybe Decker in the first round? Barring injuries, next year could be ours for glory. Let's hope so.
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 01-16-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Good season. But still a wasted season with all the talent we have. Next year instead of momentum going in to the playoffs il take being healthy instead of momentum. Momentum is overtated.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    3. Jason Avant was our best receiver tonight. That should tell you plenty. Avant couldn't make another roster in the NFL, much less be the best option. The loss of Maclin was too much to overcome against another good offense.
    I find this one quite unfair. Avant, who despite what you can opined CAN make most rosters in the NFL, had an unusually great day. Perhaps his greatest day in his career, past and future. But,IMO, he is not better or even as good as Chris Conley is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Btw, slot receiver is a gaping hole on our roster. It needs to be addressed this offseason. Every scoring drive took 10+ plays. We need a more explosive offense. Overall, this season was a step in the right direction but there are many holes on this roster.
    Isn't DAT supposed to be our Edelman?

BTW, last year I kept bringing up one person who was great in the slot if not awe inspiring in other receiver roles. Not an Edelman type, but a physical possession receiver. He was too expensive for just that role. His name started with "D" and ended with "waine Bowe." I would take a humbled Bowe back for that role if he is let go by the Browns. A lot of you may disagree, but I think that arrangement could be very effective.

Quick passes, KC Ds kryptonite.

The offense needs a huge fix in the passing game, still.

The offense relies to heavily on the turnovers the D gets.

How was Amendola (and OBJ and Burfict in the past) not ejected? I don't think it would of made a difference, but still.

Need to start beating the top teams and not just below . 500 teams and backup qbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Isn't DAT supposed to be our Edelman?

BTW, last year I kept bringing up one person who was great in the slot if not awe inspiring in other receiver roles. Not an Edelman type, but a physical possession receiver. He was too expensive for just that role. His name started with "D" and ended with "waine Bowe." I would take a humbled Bowe back for that role if he is let go by the Browns. A lot of you may disagree, but I think that arrangement could be very effective.
    Matthew and I would of loved him back for this reason. Needs to be less money

if bowe couldnt crack the browns roster even as a third receiver, what makes you think he would fair any better with a team he already had a chance to play for....

entertaining bringing him back is not a very good idea.
    Originally from Tonganoxie, KS.

Happily married in Australia!!

Bowe is done

Quote Originally Posted by NickheadKCAU View Post
    if bowe couldnt crack the browns roster even as a third receiver, what makes you think he would fair any better with a team he already had a chance to play for....

entertaining bringing him back is not a very good idea.
    Not making the starter status could have many reasons and all but one have nothing to do with lack of talent. Who knows what went on between Bowe and the coaches? It just seems like their old HC didn't like him and wasn't willing to give him many opportunities. All I know is (1) Bowe loves Andy and (2) he was almost unstoppable in the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Bowe is done
    Typical fan discard and replace reaction. IMO DB has several more years of slot receiving in him. But he has to be available for a reasonable salary and used in the right way. Don't forget he was also a very good blocker as a WR.

bottom line our D gets its plow cleaned
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast