Thread: UDFA would make an excellent TE

Default UDFA would make an excellent TE

Chiefs new WR Mitch Mathews is very long

By Joel Thorman@JoelThorman on May 24, 2016, 12:57p 98

 Tweet Share on Twitter Share Share on Facebook (1) Pin Pinterest 98 Comments ⋆ Rec Recommend this Post 1

Mitch Mathews is an undrafted free agent receiver out of Andy Reid's favorite school, BYU. He is listed at 6'6 which is very tall and judging by this picture from the KC Star he is also very long

When I think of an Andy Reid receiver, I think of someone maybe a little shorter and very fast and quick. Someone like Jeremy Maclin. Mathews is not in that mold but his size can be a benefit for the Chiefs ... if he makes the team. Making the team for an undrafted free agent is difficult but the Chiefs usually have a few who do each year

The Star also showed this picture of De'Anthony Thomas who is back with the team after the strange ending to his 2015 season. I still don't know what happened there. The Chiefs followed that up by drafting Tyreek Hill, who reminds me an awful lot of De'Anthony Thomas. Do the Chiefs have a roster spot for both DAT and Hill? I'm not sure they do

Kevin Hogan has a funny looking release of the ball. Some thought that Andy Reid would mess with his release and "fix" it but Reid said that he made it this far with that release so he's not going to mess with it too much. Reid referenced Philip Rivers and his side-armed release as a quarterback who can play well with that.

I love seeing us picking these guys off the scrap heap. They are no risk and you never know when one of them will turn into a pot of gold.