Thread: Uh oh. Are we in trouble now with poe?

Default Uh oh. Are we in trouble now with poe?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...103m-extension

Fletcher is moving back to Dt in their 4-3. Does this point to trouble in sig ing poe to a long-term deal? How do we compare the two players. Im sure poe has seen the signing and every defensive player for that matter.
    Last edited by jason1981; 06-13-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling

if Poe wants anything close to that we might as well so goodbye now cause we don't have that and will be in the market for a NT in the draft next year

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    if Poe wants anything close to that we might as well so goodbye now cause we don't have that and will be in the market for a NT in the draft next year
    Maybe the cap will rise again next year. I heard on the radio that by 2025 the cap is suppose to rise 3 times as much as it is now by then. So maybe it will jump up next year that will help us. Not sure whats the limit i would sign poe for though. Maybe 15 mil per year would be my max and thats still tough to swollow. 15 mil per year for 6 years is 90 mill. Still below 6 yr 103 mill fletcher got.

I would be surprised if we could afford more than 11 or 12 a year

Last year it was Justin Houston. This year it is Eric Berry. Next year it will be Dontari Poe. So long as the salary cap keeps rising Dorsey will get the deal done. I'm old enough to remember when Joe Namath signed the FIRST $1 million deal in NFL history. Every year there is one player that you just can't afford to lose. Poe will be one of those. We have let some very good players walk in free agency so we could keep the one player we just couldn't afford to lose.

What is of more concern is that we are seeing defensive linemen get QB money. Expect to see a QB get the first $150 million deal in the near future. Luckily we got Alex under contract at what now seems like a very decent price.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 06-14-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Looking at Dontari Poe's future after the Eagles signed Fletcher Cox to monster deal
    By Joel Thorman  @JoelThorman on Jun 14, 2016, 8:15a 58

 TWEET SHARE (30)
    We asked the question earlier this year if the impending contract for Eagles DT Fletcher Cox will be a comparison for Chiefs DT Dontari Poe, who was drafted one spot ahead of Cox in 2011.

The answer? Good god, I hope not.

Cox just signed a monster deal with the Eagles: six year, $102.6 million extension. $36 million is fully guaranteed at signing while $55 million will be fully guaranteed in March 2017. Overall, $63 million is guaranteed for injury. You contract nerds can read more details here.

Are you sure you want to pay Poe now? Not that type of money. In a salary cap world you can't pay multiple players that much money. Justin Houston got a very similar contract: six years, $101 million. The cap goes up every year but not enough to comfortable account for two $100 million contracts. Not to mention Alex Smith and Jeremy Maclin's sizable contracts.

A big difference between the two statistically is sacks. Cox gets twice as many as Poe. Not to say that Poe isn't valuable but Cox seems to be more of a disrupter than Poe.

That said, while it's not a perfect comparison, I do think Poe will clearly benefit from the trickle-down effect of this deal. When the top of the market is set, the level below it is affected too.

I know you're looking for suggested contract numbers for Poe here. I can only guess what those might be because I don't know any talks Poe and the Chiefs have had. Poe is under contract for 2016 and then we'll let the franchise tag help set the market.

2016 fifth year option: $6.1M

2017 franchise tag: $15M (estimated)

2018 franchise tag: $18M (estimated)

Over the course of three years, in my simulation the Chiefs could keep Poe for an estimated cost of $39 million. That, to me, is right around where these negotiations need to start because the Chiefs can unilaterally decide this is how Poe will be paid for the next three seasons (unilaterally ... assuming he shows up and signs it).

The problem with that scenario is that by waiting again the Chiefs are hurting themselves by not having the franchise tag available. What if using the tag on Poe means you lose Eric Fisher in 2017? Or Phillip Gaines the year after that? Or Jaye Howard? Chiefs GM John Dorsey often tries to be flexible but by waiting on Poe (and Houston) the Chiefs have cost themselves.

I don't know how to manage the salary cap. So I don't know if Dorsey is doing a good job at that. And of course this is his first time as a GM. But so far he seems to be doing a good job of keeping the most important players and giving us at least some cash to throw at free agents.

I'm telling you Poe is most likely as good as gone. Thank you for everything Poe

I hope you are wrong C4L. I'd hate to see Poe go down the road.