Thread: Interesting comments on the Power Rankings.

Default Interesting comments on the Power Rankings.

The Kansas City Chiefs and the Power Rankings
    By Chris Section: Campaign 2007
    Posted on October 31st, 2007

ESPN #11 Last week #13
    Defensive end Jared Allen has eight sacks, just one behind NFL leader Trent Cole of the Eagles. Only two Chiefs have ever led the league in sacks -- Derrick Thomas in 1990 (20 sacks) and Neil Smith in 1993 (15 sacks).
    CBS #11 Last week #14 They've really turned their season around. Give credit to Herm Edwards. Now come Brett Favre and the Packers.
    Fox Sports #10 Last week #11 Kansas City won their ninth straight game over the Raiders on Sunday, coming out of Oakland with a hard fought 12-10 victory. Strangely enough, eight of those nine wins have been by seven points or fewer. Larry Johnson ran the ball 24 times for 112 yards and a score while the defense held the Raiders to just 55 yards rushing on the day. In his fist game action since 2005, Priest Holmes ran the ball four times for 9 yards. Jarrad Page, who had a game-sealing interception in a game vs. the Raiders last season, sealed this one up with a pick in the final seconds, too. The Chiefs — now 4-3 and in first place in the AFC West — are cruising, having won 4 of their last 5.
    The Chiefs have "turned their season around". The Chiefs are "cruising". Here is a collection of snippets from previous power rankings this year: "Don't care if Larry Johnson carries the ball 50 times. There is a problem at quarterback, and the defense still underachieves."
    "When I put the Chiefs down near the bottom last week, plenty of Chiefs fans groaned. Now what do you think?"
    "Sound the alarm. The Chiefs were held to 219 yards of offense and were unable to find the end zone in a 20-3 loss in Houston. Yikes!"
    After all of that, we're seven games into the season and tasting the top ten of these respective power rankings. After the Chiefs wallop Old Man Favre in Arrowhead, I predict at least one of those sites jumps us up to #7. Also, anyone else noticing the "Give credit to Herm Edwards" lines popping up now and again?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

The funny thing: every one of these sites have the Chargers way ahead of us. I guess they forgot the walloping we gave them IN San Diego....
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

To be fair if we can say it we started slow then came back San Diego is playing far far better ball now then they were when we beat them. They are by far our biggest contender for the division this year. And just because we won the first against them, we had better not rest when they come into Arrowhead.

All good points, except even the week we spanked them, they were still ranked above us in each of these polls...
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

i dont think our ranking at the moment could/should be any better than it is because we have been scored on more than we have scored! What a terrible statistic. In other words, if all our games combined added to just one big game....we would have lost!

...but that could change this sunday :) i hope so

That goes to Herm's style of coaching...he manages the game conservatively to win the close games...but that doesn't lead to many (any) blowouts...so if you lose 1 or 2 games by a large margin, it will take 4-6 wins to make up for those.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat