Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DJ's injury pretty much dictates our first pick in the draft.

Default DJ's injury pretty much dictates our first pick in the draft.

Can you sayyyyy.... Reuben Foster?

The last time we picked an Alabama LB in the 1st round we didn't do too badly.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Frankenchief, you are quite correct that ILB will be a need in the draft & I believe Dorsey will get him. However, don't be surprised if it is not a household name that doesn't come in round 1. We only need look no further than Tyreek Hill as an example, drafted in round 5, but performing at a 1st round level. Who had heard of Tyreek Hill prior to the Chiefs drafting him? Nobody.
    They had heard of him and the abuse case against him. Dorsey might find one as a free agent, don't know if any goods ones will be free agents or not. I bet right now Andy and John are checking all the practice squads to see if there is someone out there right now.

Some ILB that contract is up this year. Not sure which are Strong Side or Weak Side.
    Name Age Team
    Zack Brown 27 BUF Lots of tackles 115 to go along with 3 sacks and two FF
    Lawrence Timmins 30 PIT A little old and making $9M but good
    Malcolm Smith 27 OAK Make yourself better by making you enemy weaker
    Kevin Menter 26 ARK
    Dont'a Hightower 26 NE
    Manti Te'o 25 SD Coming off injury
    Sean Weatherspoon 28 ATL Also injured

If Dorsey and company haven't been looking at linebackers before DJs injury then they have problems. Unfortunately, before the injury, DJs age was showing. He has a LOT of "missed tackles" this season if you look at his stats. Primarily because he just doesn't have the speed he used to. He can still read and react with the best of them, but having lost a tenth of a second, he is able to get a hand on the ball carrier, but is just not quite there fast enough to get a solid hit/wrap to make the tackle.

EB is not signed and who ever is playing CB not named Marcus Peters is picked on every game. I don't think DJ injury dictates who we take in the first round but it adds position to the list of high need.

As late a we will pick, The best player available at any of those positions will need to be addressed. Free Agency may help here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    EB is not signed and who ever is playing CB not named Marcus Peters is picked on every game. I don't think DJ injury dictates who we take in the first round but it adds position to the list of high need.

As late a we will pick, The best player available at any of those positions will need to be addressed. Free Agency may help here too.
    Unless we can trade up into the top 10 or so, I suspect we will need to do both, free agency and the draft. We will need a veteran who can step in and be effective from day one and for a year or two until the draft pick has developed. It won't be easy, though, to find someone who is both good enough and not too expensive through Free Agency, but that is what Dorsey seems to specialize in.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 12-12-2016 at 05:42 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

We have injured players who will be coming back too. March may actually eligible to play in the play offs if he is healthy enough. Maugu should be back. etc..

March is eligible to return for the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Frankenchief, you are quite correct that ILB will be a need in the draft & I believe Dorsey will get him. However, don't be surprised if it is not a household name that doesn't come in round 1. We only need look no further than Tyreek Hill as an example, drafted in round 5, but performing at a 1st round level. Who had heard of Tyreek Hill prior to the Chiefs drafting him? Nobody.
    Agreed. Dorsey will address the ILB spot but will probably go his "hybrid BPA" route and depending on a mixture of team needs and who falls available. Judging by our depth I'd say it's working pretty well, too.

Filling DJ's shoes won't be easy (DJ could sniff out run plays like crazy; How many times have we seen him stop runs behind the line of scrimmage?) IMHO, unless Ramik Wilson really bulks up in the offseason the closest player we have to DJ would be Mauga.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Agreed. Dorsey will address the ILB spot but will probably go his "hybrid BPA" route and depending on a mixture of team needs and who falls available. Judging by our depth I'd say it's working pretty well, too.

Filling DJ's shoes won't be easy (DJ could sniff out run plays like crazy; How many times have we seen him stop runs behind the line of scrimmage?) IMHO, unless Ramik Wilson really bulks up in the offseason the closest player we have to DJ would be Mauga.
    A tip of my hat Sir. I think you got it about Spot On!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12