Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Look at the Chiefs 2017 opponents

Default A Look at the Chiefs 2017 opponents

Kansas City Chiefs 2017 schedule of opponents include Cowboys, Patriots

by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Dec 27, 2016, 8:42am CST

The Kansas City Chiefs know most of their 2017 opponents even though the NFL schedule has yet to be released. The Chiefs may not know the dates and times of their opponents or the order of the games but they do know 14 of their 16 opponents.

The NFL schedule is formulaic. The Chiefs know six of their games will come from playing their three AFC West opponents twice. The Chiefs play a rotating AFC and NFC division each year which makes up eight more games. This year it’s the AFC East and the NFC East. Then the Chiefs also play the AFC teams who finished in the same spot in the division as them.

These are the Chiefs 2017 opponents (note that this is unofficial until the Chiefs confirm so):

Home: Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Bills, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins, AFC North

Away: Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Giants, AFC South

If the Chiefs finish in first place in the AFC West, they’ll play the Steelers (AFC North) and Texans (AFC South) at home. The Steelers and Texans are in first place in their division.

If the Chiefs finish in second place in the AFC West, they’ll play the Ravens (AFC North) and Titans (AFC South) on the road. The Ravens and Titans are in second place in their division.
    As for the schedule, it looks harder right now. The harder games are on the road - Patriots, Cowboys and Giants. It looks like the Chiefs could have as many as three playoff teams at home and five playoff teams on the road if they’re playing a first place schedule.
    Note that this is close to Andy Reid’s first season in Kansas City, which was four years ago.

Some tough games there but I think 10-6 or 11-5 is very realistic.

I'll tell you something, I'd rather play the Ravens in Baltimore than have the Chiefs host the Ravens at Arrowhead. The Chiefs can't seem to EVER beat the Ravens at Arrowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Some tough games there but I think 10-6 or 11-5 is very realistic.
    Much will depend on the off-season. Hopefully, Dorsey can draft a solid core of quality 1st-year players, as it could be the difference maker when it is all said and done. A lot of people didn't like the 2016 draft, and I'll agree that it didn't look spectacular on paper, but people are seeing that Chris Jones was a need pick and has done a pretty credible job in year 1, and everyone has seen what Tyreek Hill is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I'll tell you something, I'd rather play the Ravens in Baltimore than have the Chiefs host the Ravens at Arrowhead. The Chiefs can't seem to EVER beat the Ravens at Arrowhead.

Much will depend on the off-season. Hopefully, Dorsey can draft a solid core of quality 1st-year players, as it could be the difference maker when it is all said and done. A lot of people didn't like the 2016 draft, and I'll agree that it didn't look spectacular on paper, but people are seeing that Chris Jones was a need pick and has done a pretty credible job in year 1, and everyone has seen what Tyreek Hill is capable of.
    +1. For once I'd like to see what Dorsey can do with a draft that isn't hampered by the league or previous trades. After the smoke cleared Dorsey did really, really well with the cards he was dealt at the start of the offseason. As reliable and good as Chris Jones has been, can't wait to see what the guy is like after an offseason workout program.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    +1. For once I'd like to see what Dorsey can do with a draft that isn't hampered by the league or previous trades. After the smoke cleared Dorsey did really, really well with the cards he was dealt at the start of the offseason. As reliable and good as Chris Jones has been, can't wait to see what the guy is like after an offseason workout program.
    If you look at the previous year's 7th round draftee DL Nunez-Roches (who has done a credible job filling in for Allen Bailey), you get an idea of just how important rounds 2 though 7 for Dorsey and the current regime has been. THIS is the area where Pioli failed miserably in his drafts and by 2012 it caught up to them and resulted in Pioli's demise. Pioli seemed to treat the draft as if it was over after round 1, and you can't go about it that way and think you are going to be successful, like Pioli seemed to think.

If you look at the previous year's 7th round draftee DL Nunez-Roches (who has done a credible job filling in for Allen Bailey), you get an idea of just how important rounds 2 though 7 for Dorsey and the current regime has been. THIS is the area where Pioli failed miserably in his drafts and by 2012 it caught up to them and resulted in Pioli's demise. Pioli seemed to treat the draft as if it was over after round 1, and you can't go about it that way and think you are going to be successful, like Pioli seemed to think.
    GOOD POINT Demps....Dorsey does not treat the draft like a 1, 2 or 3 round opportunity. He believes he can find excellent talent in rounds 1-7 and even in UDFA. And he perhaps even puts more effort into the later rounds and UDFA than he does rounds 1-3. Some people say Dorsey hasn't done as well as he should have in rounds 1-3 but even if that is true (I'm not so sure about that) I think his performance in rounds 4-7 and UDFA has shown that he is without a doubt a top tier GM when it comes to gathering QUALITY TALENT. That said, I think some part of Dorsey's overall success in the draft is--in part--thanks to Reid. Dorsey finds them and Reid trains them up. The success we have had the last few years despite all the injuries I think shows just how valuable the Dorsey-Reid combination is.

It ain't "I"....it's "US". Pioli was mostly about "I".

Definitely. Dorsey's vetting process and Pioli's are two very different things. Also willing to bet that Dorsey has a much more open ear to his coaches than Pioli ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Definitely. Dorsey's vetting process and Pioli's are two very different things. Also willing to bet that Dorsey has a much more open ear to his coaches than Pioli ever did.
    EXACTLY SO! Pioli figured that "he"--1 man--knew it all when it came to the draft and management. Dorsey doesn't think that way. He has an excellent Head Coach (who has also been a GM) and coaching staff working for him and he--Dorsey--listens to Reid and the coaching staff. They WORK TOGETHER! "US"...not "I". TEAM...not ME. And that attitude is translating to the player's attitude. That is how you build an organization that wins today, next week, next month, next year and next DECADE. And that is what is going on with our Chiefs.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 12-29-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Another example is CB Terrance Mitchell. Where did he come from? To the best of my knowledge, it was via the waiver wire & all of the sudden, in KC, he has found himself a pretty good starting CB opposite of Marcus Peters. Gaines won't be getting the job back from him the rest of the season, I'll bet.

Another example is CB Terrance Mitchell. Where did he come from? To the best of my knowledge, it was via the waiver wire & all of the sudden, in KC, he has found himself a pretty good starting CB opposite of Marcus Peters. Gaines won't be getting the job back from him the rest of the season, I'll bet.
    Mitchell was drafted in the 7th round by Dallas in 2014. Released at the end of August. Signed with the Bears in September 2014. Injured for the bears in 2015 and then released. Signed with Dallas again in December 2015 and released in June 2016. Signed by Houston in June of 2016 and then released on September 3. Chiefs signed him to the practice squad on September 6 and promoted to active roster on October 18. Then released on November 8 and re-signed to the practice squad. Back on the active roster on November 25.

Another of Dorsey's finds in the discount meat rack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast